PDA

View Full Version : Yoo and Addington=Abbot and Costello

Qtec
07-02-2008, 03:44 AM
Great article.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Throughout the Bush presidency, he toiled in secrecy deep within the White House, a mysterious and feared presence who never stepped into the sunlight of public disclosure.

Until yesterday.

There he sat, hunched and scowling, at the witness table in front of the House Judiciary Committee: the bearded, burly form of the chief of staff and alter ego to the vice president -- Cheney's Cheney, if you will -- and the man most responsible for building President Bush's notion of an imperial presidency.

David Addington was there under subpoena. And he wasn't happy about it.

Could the president ever be justified in breaking the law? "I'm not going to answer a legal opinion on every imaginable set of facts any human being could think of," Addington growled. Did he consult Congress when interpreting torture laws? "That's irrelevant," he barked. Would it be legal to torture a detainee's child? "I'm not here to render legal advice to your committee," he snarled. "You do have attorneys of your own."

He had the grace of Gollum as he quarreled with his questioners. In response to one of the chairman's questions, he neither looked up nor spoke before finishing a note he was writing to himself. When Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-Fla.) questioned his failure to remember conversations about interrogation techniques, he only looked at her and asked: "Is there a question pending, ma'am?" Finally, at the end of the hearing, Addington was asked whether he would meet privately to discuss classified matters. "You have my number," he said. "If you issue a subpoena, we'll go through this again."

Think of Addington as the id of the Bush White House. Though his hidden hand is often merely suspected -- in signing statements, torture policy and other brazen assertions of executive power -- Addington's unbridled hostility was live and unfiltered yesterday.

He sat slouched in his chair, scratching his mustache, as Jerry Nadler (D-N.Y.), chairman of the Constitution subcommittee, warned about "the unaccountable monarchy" before offering Addington five minutes to make an opening statement. Addington spoke for a minute and 12 seconds -- most of which was devoted to correcting two errors in Nadler's introduction.

"Is that the entirety of your statement?" the chairman asked.

"Yes, thank you," Addington replied. "I'm ready to answer your questions."

He sure was. When John Conyers (D-Mich.) inquired about Addington's pet legal concept, a "unitary executive theory" that confers extreme powers on the president, Addington dished out disdain.

"I frankly don't know what you mean by unitary theory," Addington replied.

"Have you ever heard of that theory before?"

"I see it in the newspapers all the time," Addington replied.

"Do you support it?"

"I don't know what it is."

The usually mild Conyers was angry. "You're telling me you don't know what the unitary theory means?"

"I don't know what you mean by it," Addington answered.

"Do you know what you mean by it?"

"I know exactly what I mean by it."

Addington went on to explain how the enemy's actions -- "smoke was still rising. . . . 3,000 Americans were just killed" -- justified his legal reasoning. And he showed abundant disdain for dissenters, such as Rep. Artur Davis (D-Ala.), who asked whether Addington consulted lawmakers about anti-torture statutes. "There is no reason their opinion on that would be relevant," he answered.

Addington's insolence appeared to embolden another witness, his former administration colleague John Yoo. Yoo took Rep. Keith Ellison (D-Minn.) on a semantic spin when asked about whether a torture memo was implemented.

"What do you mean by 'implemented'?" Yoo asked.

"Mr. Yoo," Ellison pressed, "are you denying knowledge of what the word 'implement' means?"

"You're asking me to define what you mean by the word?"

"No, I'm asking you to define what you mean by the word 'implement,' " the exasperated lawmaker clarified.

"It can mean a wide number of things," Yoo demurred.

After several such dances around the questions (whether, for example, the president could order somebody buried alive), Rep. Steve Cohen (D-Tenn.) offered his grudging respect: "You guys are great on 'Beat the Clock,' " he said.

"I don't play basketball," replied the 41-year-old Yoo.

"That was a game show," Cohen explained </div></div>

http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2008/06/26/PH2008062603940.jpg

How many times now has this happened. Two guys who are being totally uncooperative and evasive.[ you would think they had something to hide!]
Gonzo's pathetic performance in not answering questions cannot be topped but these two have such utter contempt for the elected officials asking the questions you can almost taste it.
Both believe that the President can do anything he wants and its the DoJ that gave GW the green light to act unlawfully.
"Torture........sure GW.
Kidnapping people in other countries and fly them to Syria to be tortured........sure GW.
Tapping into the internet, reading e-mails etc,etc.........

'You can do all these things GW because the President is King.' "

Wonder if they [ and the right wing Bush supporters] will still feel the same when Obama is President!

Q

cheesemouse
07-02-2008, 08:10 AM
Q,
I watched this live on C-span and this article is being kind to these two horrible witnesses. Addington's arrogance is off the charts, it seems his lawyerly attitude is congress can kiss my ass. Yo is a whinny little bastard who presents himself as a helpless tool of his bosses. I can't believe this Yo guy was give any responsibility beyond sweeping out latrines but, hey, now he is a professor at some brand name University....go figure...LOL

Qtec
07-02-2008, 11:51 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cheesemouse</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Q,
I watched this live on C-span and this article is being kind to these two horrible witnesses. Addington's arrogance is off the charts, it seems his lawyerly attitude is congress can kiss my ass. Yo is a whinny little bastard who presents himself as a helpless tool of his bosses. I can't believe this Yo guy was give any responsibility beyond sweeping out latrines but, hey, now he is a professor at some brand name University....go figure...LOL </div></div>

I think the photo says it all.

http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2008/06/26/PH2008062603940.jpg

This picture should be in the dictionary as a prime example of utter contempt!
It should also be linked to definitions of,
F--K Y-u,
KMA,
Rotate on this,

LOL

Q

mike60
07-03-2008, 12:36 AM
These scum have no honor and less respect for the law. Yoo is tenured at UC Berkeley's Boalt Hall Law School. He deserves the torture he supports as legal.
Addington is just scum. Think of it as the Cheney legacy. Remember when Abu Gonzales said the Geneva Conventions were "quaint" and could be ignored.
War Crimes trials for all of 'em, Bush-Cheney all the way down the chain of criminal
command.
note: Two Japanese officers were hung for war crimes for water boarding prisoners
during WW2. Times have changed for the worse.

mike60 voter

llotter
07-03-2008, 10:46 AM
I also saw much of their testimony and was heartened to see people who weren't groveling before those idiotic, power crazed inquistors who want nothing more than to see American not only lose the war but also are drooling to see the economy fail. Three cheers for all those unafraid to confront America's enemies with the contempt they deserve.

mike60
07-03-2008, 02:56 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: llotter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I also saw much of their testimony and was heartened to see people who weren't groveling before those idiotic, power crazed inquistors who want nothing more than to see American not only lose the war but also are drooling to see the economy fail. Three cheers for all those unafraid to confront America's enemies with the contempt they deserve. </div></div>

Dear idiotic nutcase, This fails the smell test in so many ways. No one wants America to lose the war. Period. The American people elected these people to make the laws and protect us from power crazed twits such as Addington and Yoo. In war there are rules and as simple as it seems you don't get it that what we do to others will be done to our troops if captured. Bush as done more to corrupt and debase the opinion of America than all the past idiots combined. Please answer if you can the drivel about these elected officials wanting the economy to fail.
Sitting there behind your little keyboard you show no knowledge of reality or any
redeemable opinion. If you want to confront America's enemies i suggest you enlist and go fight. If you are too old or infirm to fight there are other ways to contribute
but slandering the elected officials is not helping.
mike60 veteran&pissed off

nAz
07-03-2008, 03:35 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Q </div></div>

smug little fags! here in Brooklyn they get their asss whipped for that.

llotter
07-04-2008, 05:53 PM
It is difficult, Mike, to respond to anyone who starts off his response with, 'Dear idiotic nutcase', but on the outside chance that you are more ignorant than stupid, I will make a quick attempt to enlighten you.

First, Congressman make a career out of slandering witnesses in hearings but lately, the hearings are more like 'show trials', not intended to elicit information as is part of their oversight obligation but merely to make public accusations for political gain. You are totally naive if you believe these left wingers that have taken over the Democrat Party have nay interest in the administrations answers. They are only interested to making the Republicans look bad by identifying the war as a Republican war in spite of the fact that the Dems voted for it and spoke very strongly in favor of it and then doing everything they can to undermine the effort. I hope you are not taken in by these chronic complainers on the left who love spend billions for bandages but nothing for bullets. The big issues for them are how we treat captured enemies, armor for vehicles and people, hospital care, GI benefits, FISA, monitoring telephones etc etc etc… not contributing anything to actually winning the war.

Of course, since the war is progressing better recently, the left/Democrats they have refocused on the economic problems…again for political gain. Make no mistake however, the Left has made the bed thorns that we are all now laying in. Whether it’s the huge debt problem we now face or the energy shortage causing such near-term havoc, the Left is responsible for most of our pain. Think about those entitlement programs consuming 60% of our budget or the environmentalist preventing any sane oil drilling policies. Think of the continuous attacks on our corporate enterprises as though they were our own axis of evil. On top of this, we are again threatened with a global warming agenda that is about to put controls on most every aspect of our lives.

If this view is not very convincing, at least recognize that there are other view that have deserve some respect.

mike60
07-04-2008, 11:21 PM
Nice try, All you do is state opinion and welcome to it. Addington and Yoo have debased the law and broken treaties that protect out troops and now disrespect
the Congress. There is no Democratic or Republican war. No one has to make the Cheney gang look bad. They do plenty without help.
"The big issues for them are how we treat captured enemies, armor for vehicles and people, hospital care, GI benefits, FISA, monitoring telephones etc etc etc… not contributing anything to actually winning the war. "
Were you awake when you wrote that? Let's see, honorable treatment for POW's,
Usable armored vehicles, GI benefits, FISA, has nothing to do with winning the war?
You are an Idiotic Nutcase. No one wins a war. People survive a war.
Addington and Yoo are War Criminals.
As for respecting your view. I do. It shows me what you lack in humanity.
The latter paragraph of your post concerning the debt, etc. we face as a Nation
is a predictable snow job worthy of any propagandist. All the lying from the right
including the Swiftboaters and Karl Rove fool no one but fools like you.

have a nice life.....mike60

Gayle in MD
07-11-2008, 12:08 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"also saw much of their testimony and was heartened to see people who weren't groveling before those idiotic, power crazed inquistors who want nothing more than to see American not only lose the war but also are drooling to see the economy fail. " </div></div>

<span style="color: #000066">"idiotic, power crazed inquistors" </span>

<span style="color: #000066">Those are United States of America elected officials, FYI, and they were doing their jobs, OVERSIGHT, which this country had NONE of, when the Republicans had the majority. </span>

<span style="color: #000066">"who want nothing more than to see American not only lose the war but also are drooling to see the economy fail." </span>

<span style="color: #000066">What War? There is an American occupation of Iraq. All factions in that country intend to fight it out after we're gone. We are paying them to lay down their arms. Eventually, We will have to stop paying them. The costs of this war are the cause of the recession, as the occupation of Iraq, has destablized the Middle East, caused unprecedented debt because Bush is prosecuting it on borrowed money, and the destablization of the M.E., which gives the Corporate Fascists an excuse to raise the price of oil through the roof. The same damned thing happened when Bush one was in office, who also had connections to big oil. Need a crayon to connect the dots?

This policy of paying them to stop killing us, and one another, is nothing but a stop gag measure to continue a lost and failed policy until after Bush leaves office, which is nothing more than an effort to put off getting out long enough to be able to attempt to blame the Democrats for what was already a failed policy.

America's enemies, are not the Democratics. America's enemies are the Republicans who have lied, stonewalled every investigation, thumbed their noses at our laws, thumbed their noses at the survivors of the 9/11 attacks, and broken our international agreements.

This war belongs to George Bush, and the Republicans who have covered up for him, and the Republicans who voted for him, TWICE! The fact that he lied to the congress just like he lied to the rest of the world, INSURES that this mess in the Middle East belongs to him! He failed to keep his promise that he would only use force as a last resort, and only with U.N. approval, he LIED! No amount of deceitful rewriting of the facts will ever change that. It is BUSH'S WAR! Stop lying about it.

Yoo and Addington are lower than whale ****! They are both arrogant pieces of ****! Just like Cheney and Bush. Hence, 70 % of AMericans are against this administration's policies. They aren't all Democratics!

Just saying that you are heartened to see lying despots stone walling elected officials whose jobs are to investigate law breaking activities, proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that you don't give a damned about this country! You are a disgrace to the value of the rule of law, which is the bedrock of a Democratic, peaceful society. If anyone deserves contempt, it is George Bush and Dick Cheney, and John McCain, who is telling the same lies that they've been telling for the last seven plus years. </span>

Deeman3
07-11-2008, 12:32 PM
"It is according to what your definition of "is" is.

mike60
07-11-2008, 02:06 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"It is according to what your definition of "is" is. </div></div>

Now that's funny.

mike666 james kopp murdering scum doing forever as some guy's bitch

Qtec
07-11-2008, 08:46 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"It is according to what your definition of "is" is. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Years from now, when we look back on Bill Clinton's presidency, its defining moment may well be Clinton's rationalization to the grand jury about why he wasn't lying when he said to his top aides that with respect to Monica Lewinsky, "there's nothing going on between us." How can this be? Here's what Clinton told the grand jury (according to footnote 1,128 in Starr's report):

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true." </div></div>

The two situations are hardly comparable.
BC was under attack from hypocritical GOP,s [who were trying to bring down a President using any excuse] for an action that had NO effect on the country or the man in the street.
Now you have a President who acts like Napoleon . Addington and Yoo [ both civil servants] gave him the advice that caused the torture scandal, the DoJ scandal, the warantless spying on Americans etc etc......and now they won't even answer a simple question.

What happened to BC was a disgrace. Geez, he got a few BJs from some slut- big WOW! She should have got a medal. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
Not one of the hypocritical GOP attack dog has ever confessed that their persecution of the President was making the country less safe!

Q

mike60
07-11-2008, 10:05 PM
Q, When lawyers get technical it gets weird. Is is weird forever.

mike60