PDA

View Full Version : Sticky cues! what to do

Rail Rat
07-09-2008, 12:48 PM
All of us who play this game get the syrup on the stick thing right in the middle of a game and its madning!

I was watching an exibition with Cliff Thorburn a few years back on a humid day and he was struggling because his cue was grabbing his hand. He had wet towels on hand which he applied furiously to his cue to no avail. I was surprized to see that even a pro has the sticky cue problem. (incidently NEVER apply water to an ash cue!)

I've treid a bit of powder but after a few applications it mixes into the sweat of your hand and makes it worse!

Ther's always the green velcro scrubbers in every pool hall but unless you want your
shaft whittled down to a tooth pick, stay away from those!!!

A friend recommended hand lotion, but like the powder it makes it worse over time.

About the only thing I found that seems to work is to rub the cue down with a slightly damp cloth then to wash your hands with soap and let them dry for about 5 minutes befor resuming play. I carry a soft foaming soap in a squeeze bottle and it helps but you need to repeat the process every 1/2 hour or so.

Anybody out there have something that works for them?

-brad

dg-in-centralpa
07-09-2008, 12:52 PM
I had the same problem with the powder, and switched to using a glove. Never had a problem since. No I'm not Michael Jackson either, but the glove worked for me. I know others who don't like them, but it's a matter of choice.

DG

MAC
07-09-2008, 02:52 PM
Several people in our league use the gloves and love them, the rest of us just make fun of them for it. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Fran Crimi
07-09-2008, 05:33 PM
Washing your hands is good, but players have to watch out for dampness and soap residue. Bottom line --- as brad says, you have to have enough time to get the soap off and for the hands to thoroughly dry. Most players in competition don't have that kind of time and can't take that many breaks.

Another option is to adopt the California bridge which is what I did. I call it that because the 9 ball players from California were using it in the 80's and I have no idea who invented it. Your loop finger makes a very loose loop around the cue. You'd think it wasn't secure but after you learn to trust it, it works great and is totally non-restrictive like some loop bridges can be. You can still tighten up for shots you need to, but most of the time there's lots of air between the loop and your shaft. I've been using it since I learned it back in the 80's and it's rare when my cue or hand get sticky. Before that they were sticky all the time.

And of course, don't forget to keep a cotton or microfiber towel handy to wipe down your cue and your hands regularly. That always helps.

Fran

Rail Rat
07-09-2008, 07:53 PM
Thanks Fran, I'll try that, although I use an open bridge it's worth a try.

To dg-incentral-Pa... I would think the glove would have to be cloth? a leather glove might grab when its humid just like it does on the hand. I think there is a leather glove on the market with a cloth groove for the cue to rest on. -brad

dg-in-centralpa
07-10-2008, 05:44 AM
I don't know what the material is, but I use a Sir Joseph glove, which has no leather. This is not an endorsement for Sir Joseph, but my opinion.

DG