PDA

View Full Version : Cue modification

Jager85
07-10-2008, 09:39 AM
FYI to all:

I posted a while back asking about ivory ferrules and playability and if they were worth the money. Well I had my cue modified and got it back yesterday and am very happy with the results. First of all I shoot with a McDermott Alpha Plus cue. Upon purchase I was not 100% happy with the feel and sound of the hit. I had the cue turned down to a 12mm, got a Saber-T ferrule put on, with a Sniper Tip. As all of my cue work and merchandise, I went through Meuller and a 12.5" pro taper is the standard they use.

The cue hits almost perfectly for me anyway. I say almost perfectly because I have not felt anything better yet, but I am sure there is something out there that would feel better if tried. I have a 7' Minnesota Fats table in my garage, with a Rempke Aramith training cue ball (a gift for my wife and a way to get an aramith cue ball without looking selfish...lol). Anyway the JR does not shoot quite as well as a red dot, and my table is extremely slow especially with the humidity in my garage. Even with the unfavorable conditions, full table draw takes very little effort to achieve with my cue. I spent a while fine tuning my stroke before upgrading my equipment, so the cue is not everything, but before the modifications, full table draw was possible but required maximum effort and occassional miscues.

JJFSTAR
07-10-2008, 10:47 AM
Fellow McDermott owner I suggest you look into the ďIĒ series. I have never felt anything better. But remember these are dampening cues and they feel different from standard cues.

http://www.mcdermottcue.com/IShaftHome.asp

Go through on the left the whole part of the site. As I said they are not for everyone but the I2 changed my game for the better overnight.

MAC
07-10-2008, 12:53 PM
I have thought about one of the I shafts for my McDermott. Which on did you decide to go with? Im assuming its worth the money since you like yours, I just have not been able to find anyone at my local pool hall that has played with and didnt want to just buy one not knowing anyone who tried one.

JJFSTAR
07-10-2008, 01:26 PM
I went with the I2 it is a lot like a bullís eye black dot but it isnít that heavy a shaft. It is much livelier than a 314 or a 3142 more like a Z2 but not that thin a taper if you can imagine that.

MAC
07-10-2008, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the input thats the one I was leaning towards also.

Jager85
07-11-2008, 09:31 AM
By looking at those, if I had that kind of money, I would like to test the I-3. I like a very soft feel with alot of action. I use soft tips and like some flex in my shaft. It is wierd with the tips though, going on another tangent, I have used Tiger's Sniper and their soft tip. The Sniper is rated a medium, but it feels softer than their soft. Has anyone else noticed this or have any idea why that would be?

SpiderMan
07-11-2008, 11:39 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jager85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is wierd with the tips though, going on another tangent, I have used Tiger's Sniper and their soft tip. The Sniper is rated a medium, but it feels softer than their soft. Has anyone else noticed this or have any idea why that would be? </div></div>

In my opinion, the Sniper is a very soft tip. It seems softer than the Moori soft.

I have one customer who uses nothing but Sniper tips. I don't stock them because they aren't commonly requested, so he just brings me his shaft and a pre-purchased Sniper for installation.

SpiderMan