PDA

View Full Version : Is it safe to use rubbing alcohol on cue shaft?

zombiemodder
07-10-2008, 05:35 PM
I use a glove and never use powders just wanted to know if it is safe to wipe the shaft down now and then... Thanks.

jondrums
07-10-2008, 07:01 PM
pure ethyl alcohol is best since a lot of rubbing alcohol has additives that can leave behind a residue.

either kind of alcohol will be better than water because it doesn't raise the grain much if at all.

this is what I use with a magic eraser to get my shafts really clean - but I usually try to wring out the eraser all the way first, so it doesn't soak the shaft.

Jon

Rich R.
07-10-2008, 07:07 PM
I wouldn't use rubbing alcohol, because it includes some other stuff. However, denatured alcohol, from the hardware store, shouldn't hurt the shaft. I have also heard of people using acetone or plane old fashioned lighter fluid on their shafts.

I prefer just using a damp paper towel, water only, to clean my shaft after use. Two or three times a year, I use the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to clean the shaft extra good.

Rail Rat
07-11-2008, 08:36 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich R.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wouldn't use rubbing alcohol, because it includes some other stuff. However, denatured alcohol, from the hardware store, shouldn't hurt the shaft. I have also heard of people using acetone or plane old fashioned lighter fluid on their shafts.

I prefer just using a damp paper towel, water only, to clean my shaft after use. Two or three times a year, I use the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to clean the shaft extra good. </div></div>

I agree, its not a good idea to put any thing on the shaft other than water. Oils or other chemicals could penetrate the wood.

Its important that you apply water with a slighly damp cloth then dry immediately, especially on an ash wood shaft. Ash is composed of 2 different wood grains and the water can cause the lighter wood of the ash to shrink leaving grooves in the surface. I ruined my first ash snooker cue that way.

SpiderMan
07-14-2008, 09:41 AM
I use rubbing alcohol, labeled as 90% isopropyl, as a first treatment when I'm cleaning a shaft. This stuff is available from Wal-Mart for 93 cents a bottle. It doesn't contain any other additives, just alcohol and water. It removes chalk dust, hand oils, old french-fry grease, etc. Then it dries without over-penetration or raising the wood grain.

Water is a bad idea in comparison - it doesn't remove the spooge as well, plus it "soaks in" and the shaft stays wet a lot longer, which raises the grain and makes it feel "fuzzy".

The highest percentage alcohol is preferred because it will evaporate faster, which means less penetration and less raising of the wood grain. Dampen a clean rag with 90% iso alcohol and wipe the shaft. Then look at all the crap on the rag.

SpiderMan

zombiemodder
07-14-2008, 09:47 AM
Thanks for all the sujjestions guys i bought the 91% alchohol and it works great it dries super fast and leaves my cue shaft super smooth.

DSAPOLIS
07-15-2008, 05:21 AM
I use Mr. Clean Magic eraser. It's the best $2.00 you will ever invest to clean your shafts. It does a great job - in about 2 minutes the shaft looks as good as new.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u151/Dsapolis/magiceraser.jpg

Eric.
07-15-2008, 08:52 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DSAPOLIS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use Mr. Clean Magic eraser. It's the best $2.00 you will ever invest to clean your shafts. It does a great job - in about 2 minutes the shaft looks as good as new.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u151/Dsapolis/magiceraser.jpg </div></div>

Me too. I use denatured alcohol to dampen the sponge. Great stuff.

Eric &gt;finish burnish with a piece of leather