PDA

View Full Version : Breaking bridge

heater451
08-09-2002, 10:40 AM
Whitewolf's question about breaking made me think about this. . . .

I break with my bridge hand on the rail, with the cue between my first and second fingers. Does anyone else break "from the rail", or on the table?

Karatemom
08-09-2002, 10:46 AM
C.C. does, and I used to, way back when, but I have since switched to breaking from the table, about 4" from the headspot. My break is more effective most of the time from that area.

Heide

Kato
08-09-2002, 10:57 AM
When I play 8 ball I break from the cloth, approx 6 inches from the center on the right. When I break 9 ball I break from the left side rail. It's a matter of comfort I guess.

Hey Heater, e-mail me tonight or IM me on AOL. I'd love to hear about your trip.

Kato

cheesemouse
08-09-2002, 11:09 AM
I break from the rail, I just can't get the power with hand on the table.... BOOM~~!!!!!!

griffith_d
08-09-2002, 11:17 AM
I used to break like that when I played on the 6 foot tables,...not anymore.

Griff

08-09-2002, 11:25 AM
I break from the left side rail ( headstring ), if the balls aren't moving well I go to the right side. Then it's bridge hand on the table 1 diamond over from rail on the headstring and then it's over a little at a time from there. Terry

bluewolf
08-09-2002, 11:39 AM
I break from the table. seems i have better control that way. but the other way is worth experimenting with <g>

bluewolf

Rod
08-09-2002, 11:45 AM
Heater, either way. Table conditions vary and sometimes it is necessary to move whitey around. If I come up dry after two, maybe 3 solid hits then my first option is slow down break speed. Next is to move whitey. Thats playing 9 ball.
I break 8 ball roughly 1 diamond in from the side rail. Both breaks are from the head string.

Tom_In_Cincy
08-09-2002, 11:49 AM
Never have, never will.. I put the cue ball on the headstring and shoot at the one ball (9 ball game) and I want the break shot to be a controlled shot. Just like I want all the other shots to be.

I only put my hand on the rail when the cue ball placement prohibits me from putting my bridge hand on the table.

TonyM
08-09-2002, 12:14 PM
When allowed to do so, I break from the rail using a rail bridge. If not, then I break with my hand on the table with a closed bridge.

Tony

PQQLK9
08-09-2002, 12:40 PM
I break from the table with a closed bridge...moving left to right to take what the table gives...

Eric.
08-09-2002, 01:39 PM
It all depends. I usually break from the rail(in 9ball) unless certain tourneys restrict you to the box. I think the bigger question to determine break location is how does the rack read? Are there gaps? What's the alignment? If the wing ball isn't "dead" I may break anywhere from a few inches off center, on the headstring to the edge of the break box.

Eric >can use a break

Michelle
08-09-2002, 04:08 PM
I'm not as worried about where my bridge hand is as I am about how far my bridge hand is from the cue ball, and having the cue ball as far up on the table as I can.

The shorted the distance the cue ball has to travel, the less speed it will lose between your cuetip and the rack...

On a 7-ft table, I do have my hand on the rail, but not on a bigger table.

08-09-2002, 05:05 PM
Glad you mentioned control, Tom. I break from the rail, with the cue between my index and middle fingers and with the tips of my last two fingers on the table. I always break from the same spot on the headstring (width of four fingers off the right rail). I'm convinced that breaking from the same spot every time helps one develop a break that is consistent and controlled.

D.M.

rackmup
08-10-2002, 07:30 AM
I break from the rail, cue between the index and middle fingers, grip midway of the wrap area (my BK has no wrap but you get the idea), cueball 1/2 ball behind the headstring and 1 ball width from the rail on the right side of the table, 5 practice strokes and then one gargantuan stroke into whitey, my Predator BK shaft stressed beyond it's intended limits, splinters flying and it's warranty now "null and void" as I send the cueball screaming toward the rack at 90MPH+, the cueball leaping into the air 20"-25" like an Armadillo about to get smashed by a 3/4 ton Ford SuperDuty on Loop 408 and pocketing 6-7 balls (with shape on the remaining whimpering orbs), the sound of the impact is so deafening that women, small children and sissy men cower in fear, car alarms are set off in the parking lot, a flock of birds flee from the safety of the tree tops in search of greater sanctuary. The baboons in the distance howl in fear as the "King of the Break" makes his presence known in the Pool Hall Jungle, all now aware that to challenge him would mean certain defeat.

Then I run out. Every break, without fail.

Yeah...that's the ticket.

Regards,

Ken (one day closer to dimensia)

cheesemouse
08-10-2002, 07:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: rackmup:</font><hr> I break from the rail, cue between the index and middle fingers, grip midway of the wrap area (my BK has no wrap but you get the idea), cueball 1/2 ball behind the headstring and 1 ball width from the rail on the right side of the table, 5 practice strokes and then one gargantuan stroke into whitey, my Predator BK shaft stressed beyond it's intended limits, splinters flying and it's warranty now "null and void" as I send the cueball screaming toward the rack at 90MPH+, the cueball leaping into the air 20"-25" like an Armadillo about to get smashed by a 3/4 ton Ford SuperDuty on Loop 408 and pocketing 6-7 balls (with shape on the remaining whimpering orbs), the sound of the impact is so deafening that women, small children and sissy men cower in fear, car alarms are set off in the parking lot, a flock of birds flee from the safety of the tree tops in search of greater sanctuary. The baboons in the distance howl in fear as the "King of the Break" makes his presence known in the Pool Hall Jungle, all now aware that to challenge him would mean certain defeat.

Then I run out. Every break. Everytime.

Yeah...that's the ticket.

Regards,

Ken (one day closer to dimensia) <hr></blockquote>

Hey Ken,
You and I break just alike, we could just lag for the money...... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif Welcome back to the real world.