PDA

View Full Version : Bush rescinds executive order!

LWW
07-14-2008, 08:27 AM
Now it's all on congress.

They ran on a ppromise to reduce gas prices.

Perhaps it's time the partisans hold their feet to the fire for the good of the country?

LWW

Jeff
07-14-2008, 08:43 AM
Just how many forums do you post on?

Been looking thru your posts on here and all of them look familiar.

Creating new posts a little too taxing on your brain?

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

LWW
07-14-2008, 08:55 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just how many forums do you post on?

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>
7 regularly.

A few more now and then.

How's that work coming along where you were going to show me that the USA funded and supplied Iraq's invasion of Iran?

LWW

LWW
07-14-2008, 08:56 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just how many forums do you post on?

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>
BTW, did you have anything to add to the conversation?

I didn't think so.

LWW

Jeff
07-14-2008, 09:02 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[

I didn't think so.

LWW </div></div>

Oh, I'm going to have quite a lot to add to your posts. It's going to fun. I'm looking forward to it, you mean you aren't?

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

LWW
07-14-2008, 10:53 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeff</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[

I didn't think so.

LWW </div></div>

Oh, I'm going to have quite a lot to add to your posts. It's going to fun. I'm looking forward to it, you mean you aren't?

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>
If you mean watching you flit about in a self induced fantasy that you have a clue ... yes, you can be mildly entertaining at times.

LWW

sack316
07-14-2008, 11:38 AM
sorry to interrupt the lovefest... but as to the topic itself:

good. The ball is in the hands of congress now, let's see what they do. I don't know how pure the reasons for this were... but regardless to me the bottom line is here is an opportunity to take some sort of action.

Sack

Jeff
07-14-2008, 11:52 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If you mean watching you flit about in a self induced fantasy that you have a clue ... yes, you can be mildly entertaining at times.

LWW </div></div>

Good one Ducky

Too bad there's no vaccine against stupidity. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

LWW
07-14-2008, 12:53 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Too bad there's no vaccine against stupidity. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif </div></div>
I can see why you have an interest.

Chin up though, adult education could make a real difference in your life.

Now, how about something on the topic or start your own thead ... AKA acting like an adult.

LWW

Jeff
07-14-2008, 02:04 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now it's all on congress.

They ran on a ppromise to reduce gas prices.

Perhaps it's time the partisans hold their feet to the fire for the good of the country?

LWW </div></div>

You mean after Bush and Cheney and the secret meetings with the oil executives got us into this mess, now it's time to blame the democrats for not getting us out of it.

Brilliant logic

But it's what we have come to expect from you.

sack316
07-14-2008, 02:18 PM
close Jeff. I think the thing is to see if they actually back up the very platforms they used to get into office. Will they really take action? Or will they show it was all pandering used to come into power?

Even I'll admit, this thing today wasn't much more than a political stunt IMHO... but I'll also say it was a damn good one. And we're about to find out a lot as a result of it.

I'll also even agree, for the sake of argument, Bush/Cheney got us into this particular mess... if that makes ya feel better. But A) We could be using certain oil right now anyway, had a certain something not been vetoed by an unnamed president some eleven years ago because "it would take ten years to see any results and B) regardless of who's fault it is or isn't, if you're not part of the solution- you're part of the problem. This congress has a chance now to show if they want to take a step... even if it's against what THEY want... towards a solution.

Sack

Jeff
07-14-2008, 02:25 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">close Jeff. I think the thing is to see if they actually back up the very platforms they used to get into office. Will they really take action? Or will they show it was all pandering used to come into power?
Sack </div></div>

Close Sack

But.....

"Republicans continue to filibuster at a pace three times anything ever seen before, in a systematic effort to block popular reforms.".......

"A partisan minority of Senators has used the filibuster to block efforts to bring the troops home from Iraq, to frustrate passage of clean energy legislation, to block giving Medicare the power to negotiate lower prices for prescription drugs, and much more.

Their strategy is clear – and very likely to work. The public expects the party in charge to get things done. Excuses are largely dismissed as political bickering. The Republican minority blocks popular reforms and then charges Democrats with running a “do-nothing Congress.” For scandal-stained Republican legislators yoked to an unpopular president pursing an unpopular debacle in Iraq, this may be their best hope for survival.

It works, of course, only if the public doesn’t learn of it. So how these stories are covered is critical. Citizens need to be told each time why the bipartisan majorities are frustrated, why the super-majority of 60 votes is needed, and who is responsible. Reporters should be reporting on the Republican strategy, and exposing the cynical calculation behind it."

http://www.ourfuture.org/blog-entry/subverting-majority-rule

Deeman3
07-14-2008, 02:48 PM
Well, in a few months, there will be no way a filibuster will work if Obama gets in. Then we will see how responsible government will work.

I hope it does.

sack316
07-14-2008, 02:59 PM
excellent point Jeff. Still doesn't change what's going on for the purposes of this discussion. Here we have an opportunity with something that wouldn't be "blocked" as it were, and the question is what will they do with it? They can shatter that "do nothing congress" image that is attempted to be painted of them... but will they? My guess is no based on the dems I've been seeing on the tube today.

Don't get me wrong, this of course doesn't change what you said in your last reply... and I agree that sucks! But I just say this for the purposes of this particular discussion--- the filibustering you speak of has not much to do with this particular matter or the question at hand in this thread.

BTW, if I'm not mistaken, you and I are part of the "public". Apparently somehow somewhere the public has had the chance to learn of such things. I think the moreso than the right's tactics to paint this congress as "do nothing" is that this congress has done nothing. For some reason that just seems to shine brighter. And just as Bush's low approval rating shows the public's knowlege about him, so does the only group with a lower approval rating than his. Congress. Now if their approval rating was bad, but only bad like in the 40's, I'd grant you the point... just based on the fooling some of the people some of the time argument. But as low as it is, obviously a lot of democrats that voted them into office disapprove as well. And those would be the people, such as yourself, that are looking into the information on the "how" and "why" things aren't getting done. So one must conclude that even a large number of informed democrats don't think that they are doing their job well. Either that or only 19% of people are democrats... but that can't be otherwise they wouldn't be there.

Sack

Jeff
07-14-2008, 03:16 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
And just as Bush's low approval rating shows the public's knowlege about him, so does the only group with a lower approval rating than his. Congress. Now if their approval rating was bad, but only bad like in the 40's, I'd grant you the point... just based on the fooling some of the people some of the time argument. But as low as it is, obviously a lot of democrats that voted them into office disapprove as well. And those would be the people, such as yourself, that are looking into the information on the "how" and "why" things aren't getting done. So one must conclude that even a large number of informed democrats don't think that they are doing their job well. Either that or only 19% of people are democrats... but that can't be otherwise they wouldn't be there.

Sack </div></div>

No. because "most" people get their information from tv, newspapers, and radio.

Have YOU seen any coverage of the number of filibusters that are going on? Have you seen even ONE mention of a bill not passing because of a filibuster?

It's not covered, why I don't know, but you NEVER hear about it.

Democrats should be screaming this every time it happens.

People that disapprove of Bush have many reasons for that, the war, the economy, healthcare, etc. But these are things they see and personally experience every day.

People don't see or experience filibusters, but they sure read and see on tv everyday that nothing is being done, that we are still in Iraq, that gas is reaching a record every day.

Deeman3
07-14-2008, 03:24 PM
On the opposite side of the coin, the Democrats are not moving forward with any cures for the economy as that might aid the republicans in November. It's all politics as usual.

sack316
07-14-2008, 03:43 PM
and again Jeff, good points, nice presentation, good music selection, well put... but the french judge hates us so you scored an 8.5

and, what did that have to do with the question at hand? Will congress do something when it has it's chance?

And for what it's worth, sure it's s worthwhile excuse when a filibister is used... so you're saying the last couple of years have been nothing but one big filibuster after another? because I still haven't seen congress get that much done (and that goes for either side of the aisle, mind you).

Please don't mistake my stance here, as I know your new to the board. I'm not that high on republicans these days either... but I just don't see the rosy red great changes from the democrats either. All I am seeing is more of the same... and that is the fault of everyone.

Sack

Jeff
07-14-2008, 04:43 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

and, what did that have to do with the question at hand? Will congress do something when it has it's chance?

Sack </div></div>

I don't know, do you?

About all we can do is list the things that got us to this place.

But do I think they will allow drilling? I think they will attempt to compromise like they always do, which drives me crazy.

I just don't understand why the Democrats sit back and take the crap that Republicans dish out every day.

I am a democrat at heart, but I have major problems with some of their policies and especially their lack of guts at going after this administration. They should be trying to impeach Bush as hard as the right tried to impeach Clinton, even more so.

Clinton got a blowjob but Bush has been screwing us for 8 years and not once did we get a reach around.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

sack316
07-14-2008, 04:50 PM
I feel ya there. At least if we allow for drilling we can have some oil to lube it up anyway /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Sack

pooltchr
07-14-2008, 07:04 PM
Our "do nothing" congress will address the issue of higher gas prices right after the election. To do so now would not be politically expedient.
Steve

nAz
07-14-2008, 09:50 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Our "do nothing" congress will address the issue of higher gas prices right after the election. To do so now would not be politically expedient.
Steve </div></div>

I think your right Steve... but whats the difference Gas prices won't drop anytime soon even if they open up all the drilling in the world, just doesn't work that way, and no matter how much we drill I don't think it will matter in the long run since OPEC has about 100 X more then we do. so when we run out what then?

BTW why didn't the genius think of doing this when his party had control of both houses? Oh and what an A-hole bUSH is trying to blame this Congress for $4+ gallon oil!!! when all this happen since he became POTUS.

Anyways maybe these high fuel prices is just what we needed... (although the timing couldn't be worse what with the economy and housing market going down the shit hole) maybe it will FINALLY get us off of foreign oil dependency. It can start a whole new "green economy" all we need is good leadership to see it through.

sack316
07-15-2008, 01:00 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nAz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... all we need is good leadership to see it through.

</div></div>

Damnit Naz, you had my hopes all up and then dash them in this last line you put in. That wasn't a funny joke man, not funny at all. Take that sh*t back to the smack talking thread.

Sack

Gayle in MD
07-15-2008, 06:54 AM
Sack,
When people are asked the question about their approval/disapproval of Congress, Democratics get higher approval ratings than Republicans.

While we have plenty of misinformed who rely on Fox, and others, like the Republican's favorite drug addict, Limpballs, for information, more people are paying close attention now that their daily lives are being affected by Republican policies, and hence, many people are aware, it is Republican filabusters, and block voting, that is responsible for most of the stalemate going on.

Bush's recinding of his father's executive order, is a joke. The oil companies have failed to use their exhorbitant profits and subsidies from WE THE PEOPLE, to build more refineries. What good is it going to do to endanger our coastlines when without additional refineries, or even with them, we will not recieve any immediate benefits anyway?

The speculators play a huge role, along with the destablization created in the Middle East by Bush's idiotic war in Iraq. It's just a red flag for big oil that they can exploit the public, which they are doing quite well.

Bush/McCain and the other Repubs are grasping at straws to try to lay all the problems they have created, at the feet of Democratics.

Just having a man in the office of the White House who has the brain power to speak intelligently to the rest of the world, and our own citizens, and without Republican Cowboy bravado, will do us a world of good. That man is not John McCain, obviously, who just spoke about Czechoslovakia! I expect him to report on conditions in Constantinople any day now!!!

It is absolutely absurd for Bush, who is responsible in the long run for all of our present messes, to stand up there and blame a do-nothing Congress, when his own party is responsible for blocking every effort to solve our problems, and his own "pro bottom line, regardless of how it affects the majority of people in America" who are not millionaires and billionaires, has sent to message to Oil, Mortgage companies, and others. that his party is pro exploit Americans, and to hell with our consummer protection, to hell with fair banking practices, to hell with checks and balances on this FUBAR he has created in Iraq, and to hell with the future of our debt ridden kids.

Bush has allowed the wholesale bilking of the American Public for over seven years. It is quite evident, when one looks at the scandals of Enron, Worldcom, the predatory lenders, economic policies, such as unbridled borrowing from communist countries, a virtual invasion from Mexico, unchecked for the benefit of cheap labor, removing the higher cafe' standards, and constant interest rate cuts, that kill the value of the dollar, and send out a green light to the corporate fascists to go right ahead and rape the public, and put off as long as they wish dealing with our energy crisis, as they squeeze more money out of this country and hide it in the Carribbean, tax free, leaving our debts to our children for his FUBAR of his in the Middle East.

He has got a lot of nerve after creating this mess, to attempt to balme it on the Democratic Congress, which has been crippled by these Republicans who kept his illogical policies going long enough to put this country in the mess it is in right now!

Again, the only president who cut our foreign oil usage, and tried to set our country on the path to conservation, and renewables, was Carter. He told us all quite clearly, that our own National Security would be at risk if we did not bite the bullet and address our energy issues.

Reagan, the Republicans, big oil, Cheney, Rice and both Bushes, in bed with oil interests. Now we have hit the wall, and what it proves is that Carter was right to warn us, and work towards what was not popular at the time. Clinton was correct to focus on Al Qaeda, and advise Bush to do the same, although Bush refused to listen. Why do you think Bush closed down the bin Laden al Qaeda agency? Think that is proof of his determination to get bin Laden? Pahleeeeze!

We are seeing the result of unsound Republican policies, and decades of their underhanded dealings. It is long past the time to change, and possibly, too late. I am glad atleast that Maryoland has a democratic governor, and you can bet he won't be lining us to sign on to this absurd notion that drilling off shore, without sufficient refinery capabilities, and no returns for a decade or more, will make a single bit of difference in the urgent, colossal problems that Bush and Cheney have made for this country.

Gayle in Md.

Gayle in MD
07-15-2008, 06:59 AM
Right. It is much more expedient for the Republicans to keep everything we need to take urgent action on right now, at a stalemate, and then jump back and blame it all on the Democratics, which is obviously exactly what Bush and the Republicans are all about these days.

Gayle in Md.
Wishese more people who whine and complain would watch C-Span before they launch criticisms.

Gayle in MD
07-15-2008, 07:00 AM
GMTA!

When R U coming?

Love,
Gayle

LWW
07-15-2008, 07:31 AM
No you don't, and the dems have the votes to do whatever they want. They haven't. Everyone isn't a sheeple Gayle.

LWW

Jeff
07-15-2008, 08:22 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No you don't, and the dems have the votes to do whatever they want. They haven't. Everyone isn't a sheeple Gayle.

LWW </div></div>

No they don't but you already knew that didn't you?

"Republicans continue to filibuster at a pace three times anything ever seen before, in a systematic effort to block popular reforms.".......

"A partisan minority of Senators has used the filibuster to block efforts to bring the troops home from Iraq, to frustrate passage of clean energy legislation, to block giving Medicare the power to negotiate lower prices for prescription drugs, and much more.

Their strategy is clear – and very likely to work. The public expects the party in charge to get things done. Excuses are largely dismissed as political bickering. The Republican minority blocks popular reforms and then charges Democrats with running a “do-nothing Congress.” For scandal-stained Republican legislators yoked to an unpopular president pursing an unpopular debacle in Iraq, this may be their best hope for survival.

It works, of course, only if the public doesn’t learn of it. So how these stories are covered is critical. Citizens need to be told each time why the bipartisan majorities are frustrated, why the super-majority of 60 votes is needed, and who is responsible. Reporters should be reporting on the Republican strategy, and exposing the cynical calculation behind it."

http://www.ourfuture.org/blog-entry/subverting-majority-rule

DickLeonard
07-15-2008, 08:37 AM
LWW I still don't understand why you have John McCain with the Two Stooges. If they have him by the ears doesn't that make them 2 and 1/2 Stooges.MoonBat ####

DickLeonard
07-15-2008, 08:40 AM
Naz you will have to pick me up in New York for the trip to Gayle's.####

DickLeonard
07-15-2008, 08:45 AM
Jeff he is the Master of Cut and Paste, he receives his morning ammunition and then visits his appointed rounds.####

eg8r
07-15-2008, 11:32 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You mean after Bush and Cheney and the secret meetings with the oil executives got us into this mess, now it's time to blame the democrats for not getting us out of it.</div></div> All he is saying is to back up what you say when you run for office. The dems that took over Rep seats stated explicitly that there would be change, they would reduce oil prices, etc. What is wrong with enforcing some responsibility on them for what they say?

eg8r

eg8r
07-15-2008, 11:36 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Close Sack

But.....

Their strategy is clear – and very likely to work.</div></div>Why are you hypocritically whining about filibusters when the Dems are famous for them?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Reporters should be reporting on the Republican strategy, and exposing the cynical calculation behind it."</div></div>Reporters should be reporting about everything that is going on, not just your partisan view of what they should be reporting on.

eg8r

eg8r
07-15-2008, 11:40 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When people are asked the question about their approval/disapproval of Congress, Democratics get higher approval ratings than Republicans.</div></div>Well, according to the polls out right now, it seems the polls view W higher than they view Congress. A democratic-led congress is just plowing through at a staggering rate of 9%. Good job changing things Dems. You changed it alright. You changed it from bad to worst ever.

eg8r

eg8r
07-15-2008, 11:43 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
and, what did that have to do with the question at hand? Will congress do something when it has it's chance? </div></div>Sack, Jeff wants to dance around the question because he knows, just like the rest who have voted Congress into 9% oblivion, that they will do nothing.

eg8r

eg8r
07-15-2008, 11:52 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">maybe it will FINALLY get us off of foreign oil dependency. It can start a whole new "green economy" all we need is good leadership to see it through.</div></div> If this happens will you start hating all the companies that get rich off providing green products that suddenly are in high demand? You know they will be doing everything they can to avoid higher taxes put in place by Obama and will probably already have been outsourcing jobs overseas.

eg8r

sack316
07-15-2008, 12:19 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sack,
When people are asked the question about their approval/disapproval of Congress, Democratics get higher approval ratings than Republicans.
</div></div>

<span style="color: #3333FF">
http://www.pollingreport.com/cong_rep.htm
http://www.pollingreport.com/cong_dem.htm

Really dear? A 21% and 21% of doing "excellent or pretty good" is no difference, last time my math checked. And even in the numbers that do differ, it's not a large difference. I'll grant you that, going through many many polls from various sources that the dems in congress do get a <u>slightly</u> higher (well, less low as it were) rating. At any rate, I feel it is a safe conclusion that America is not content with the job congress is doing, left or right.

As to the rest of what you said, I was actually somewhat with it. I actually even said earlier that this seemed not much more than a political stunt. Almost a "pass the buck" game. Like when a kid gets in trouble at home and quickly tells on a sibling for something else they did to avert some of the trouble!

BUT, I feel this is a situation where the ends could justify the means. It would be completely unproductive for Congress to sit on it's hands and just say "well Bush and Cheney got us into this mess". Fine, good, excellent... but you took those seats there by saying those things, ALONG WITH the promise of doing something about it. I'm still waiting to see them do something about it. And with the extra reading I've been doing, i don't even see the filibustering as a viable excuse. I think I figured out where those particular republicans learned it from /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

This whole thing has become a blame game... one where everyone is right

Sack
</span>

sack316
07-15-2008, 12:23 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What is wrong with enforcing some responsibility on them for what they say?

eg8r </div></div>

My guess is because there is still a scapegoat for at least a few more months. And they are probably correct in most the things they will say. But still doesn't make them any better. If you do nothing just because you do nothing, or if you do nothing because you can lay blame on the White House doorstep... the end result is still the same. Unfortunate for the rest of us.

Sack

Jeff
07-15-2008, 12:37 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
and, what did that have to do with the question at hand? Will congress do something when it has it's chance? </div></div>Sack, Jeff wants to dance around the question because he knows, just like the rest who have voted Congress into 9% oblivion, that they will do nothing.

eg8r </div></div>

Maybe you missed it, I know there are a lot of big words on this page, but maybe you could go back and "actually" read ALL the words in my posts, instead of picking a sentence out so you can make what you perceive to be a cute comment.

nAz
07-15-2008, 01:22 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">maybe it will FINALLY get us off of foreign oil dependency. It can start a whole new "green economy" all we need is good leadership to see it through.</div></div> If this happens will you start hating all the companies that get rich off providing green products that suddenly are in high demand? You know they will be doing everything they can to avoid higher taxes put in place by Obama and will probably already have been outsourcing jobs overseas.

eg8r </div></div>

I wont "hate" them not if they provide a fair and truly environmentally friendly fuel. (product)
im sure if this country had the right leadership it could do it... we have a proven track record,err up until the 70s that is.

BTW I am for HIGHER taxes (temp)on just about all corporate entities and higher income brackets. this and lots of realistic spending cuts. It is the only way to pay off our debts (Iraq etc.).
Its the way we all do it at home when we are in financial trouble no?

Deeman3
07-15-2008, 02:19 PM
Naz,

If you have noticed, the oil companies are now calling themselves energy companies seeming to want to get in on future alternative energy development. My question is, regarding the way they have manipulated the present market, why would we ever want them controlling those future technologies?

Seems like leaving the fox in charge of the henhouse. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

mike60
07-15-2008, 05:36 PM
A little note on filibusters back a little:
On both sides of the political spectrum, filibusters threaten to undermine democratic values, when a bare minimum of 40 Senators who represent a miniscule fraction of voters, can undercut the majority will. In the 103rd Congress (when Republican filibusters attempted to derail Clinton Administration policies), the lowest 40 vote-getting Republican Senators could mount a filibuster while only representing 13.60% of all voters in Senate elections.

Love it or fix it.

mike60

pooltchr
07-15-2008, 06:01 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Naz,

If you have noticed, the oil companies are now calling themselves energy companies seeming to want to get in on future alternative energy development. My question is, regarding the way they have manipulated the present market, why would we ever want them controlling those future technologies?

Seems like leaving the fox in charge of the henhouse. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

Maybe this is part of the reason the Dems want to nationalize the oil industry...so they can get in on the ground floor!
Steve

mike60
07-15-2008, 07:30 PM
Steve, I heard Chavez is going to nationalize the US oil companies. (In the USA)

mike60