PDA

View Full Version : Cloth in washing machine?

Mason King
07-14-2008, 09:00 AM
Hey Folks:

Editor of Billiards Digest here, with a question from a reader. The circumstances are so unique that I thought I'd pass it by you folks to get your take on it.

"This may seem like a really dumb question. We have a table in our college house that we bought last summer and disassembled and reassembled it ourselves. It plays very well for our situation. The felt has become a little dirty though, and I would like to clean it. Is taking it off and running it through a washing machine absolutely out of the question? Keep in mind, I'm not looking for absolute top quality surface. Thanks!"

What's their best option, with or without the washing machine?

zombiemodder
07-14-2008, 09:19 AM
I would just go ahead and buy new felt set you can get it pretty cheap if you don't really want top quality. I would never go through the trouble of removing it and not put a new one on it just doesn't feel right. Well thats my oppinion. PS take a collection from the phrat brothers.

Eric.
07-14-2008, 09:30 AM
Hi MAson,

Thanks for stopping in the CCB!

I would say that if they are going thru the trouble of removing the cloth and an "absolute top quality surface" is not the most important thing, you'd be better off just buying a moderately priced cloth. You can probably get one for less than $100.

I would think that the easiest and cheapest way would be to not remove the cloth and try to shampoo/clean it on the table. If the cloth is so damaged/stained that it needs serious work (i.e. washing machine cleaning), then it's not worth salvaging.

Eric

JoeW
07-14-2008, 10:33 AM
Try using a steam cleaner that is available from local stores. These machines are used for cleaning suits and other clothing. They are not all that expensive ($30.00 or so). I figure if they are used on a good worsted suit they should work on pool table cloth.

However, I have not attempted this -- so it is just an idea that might be worth considering.

After cleaning I would iron with a dry iron set for wool. I do use this technique and it does make the cloth lie better.

Not sure if it would do what you want but that would be my choice for a real dirty cloth that I might remove anyway.

If you try a steam cleaner let us know what you learn. Others may be able to use for a really bad table.

Fran Crimi
07-14-2008, 11:41 AM
Hi Mason,

It shrinks due to the wool content. My uncle used to have a card club and I'd collect old cloth and deliver it to him for his card tables. He'd run it through the washing machine and it would wind up half the size after it dried.

Fran

Bob_Jewett
07-14-2008, 12:45 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mason King</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ... What's their best option, with or without the washing machine?

</div></div>
This has been discussed several times over in RSB. People have reported good results with a cold wash and no machine drying -- it is said to be the hot drying and not the washing that makes it shrink. If the cloth is the rubber-backed variety, I'd test a small piece to see if it comes unglued in the washer.

Cloth will stretch a lot when damp.

DeadCrab
07-14-2008, 01:21 PM
Depends on your attitude towards pulling a couple of hundred staples (which may be deep), or perhaps running into a glued cloth that might not wash real well.

If I'm yanking staples, renting a pneumatic stapler, and realigning rails, I want a decent surface to show for it. It is too much work to not spring for the new cloth. Then again, I'm old.

If the felt is just dirty, vacuum it with a brush attachment.If it is stained, washing may not get them out, anyway.

Rich R.
07-14-2008, 07:45 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fran Crimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi Mason,

It shrinks due to the wool content. My uncle used to have a card club and I'd collect old cloth and deliver it to him for his card tables. He'd run it through the washing machine and it would wind up half the size after it dried.

Fran </div></div>
This is exactly what I was thinking, although I have no personal experience with it.

IMHO, I would replace the cloth. After that, I would make sure that everyone stayed away from the table with the beer, pizza and bean dip.

Bambu
07-14-2008, 09:19 PM
How about just reversing the cloth? Wont work for simonis too well, but maybe some cloth types are the same on both sides?
Just wondering.

nAz
07-14-2008, 10:15 PM
Try Woolite and cold water in the gentile cycle if you decide to wash it, hang dry it and iron it out afterwards.
Hey if you can document the results with images should make for good reading in BD mag.

Mason King
07-15-2008, 08:06 AM
This is good stuff, guys. Thanks! Any other ideas?

Wally_in_Cincy
07-16-2008, 10:00 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mason King</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is good stuff, guys. Thanks! Any other ideas? </div></div>

How about a carpet steam cleaner (like the Rug Doctor) with the hand attachment that is used for upholstery cleaning? Sprays water and sucks it right back up, removing imbedded grunge. The custodial staff should have a machine like that.

Eric.
07-16-2008, 10:10 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wally_in_Cincy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mason King</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is good stuff, guys. Thanks! Any other ideas? </div></div>

How about a carpet steam cleaner (like the Rug Doctor) with the hand attachment that is used for upholstery cleaning? Sprays water and sucks it right back up, removing imbedded grunge. The custodial staff should have a machine like that. </div></div>

The only issue I can think of is that when a stretched cloth gets wet, it can stretch further, leaving a somewhat loose spot in the cloth.

I haven't tried a steam cleaner, so I cant say for sure, but I would experiment on someone else's table first /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Eric &gt;and not a friends table