PDA

View Full Version : House overrides Bush's Medicare veto

Jeff
07-15-2008, 07:04 PM
"In what likely is the last big showdown between President George W. Bush and congressional Democrats over the popular Medicare health care program, the House of Representatives on Tuesday voted to override his veto of a bill to keep doctors' payments from being slashed.

By a vote of 383-41, the House voted to overturn Bush's action, just hours after he vetoed the legislation. The Senate was expected to vote on the veto override later on Tuesday.

Supporters of the legislation argued that the scheduled 11 percent pay cut for doctors would discourage many of them from taking on Medicare patients."

http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSWAT00979420080715

As a personal note, I remember my Mothers doctor stopping his private practice and going to the VA. He told me he would in the end make more money with a whole lot less headaches.

The never ending wait for reinbursment from medicare was the final straw.

And one of my close friends is a Physical Therapist who opened his own office. Lasted about two years and he closed it and went to work for a large hospital....medicare was too low and too slow.

mike60
07-15-2008, 07:27 PM
Jeff, Finally the Congress gets it correct.

mike60

pooltchr
07-16-2008, 04:30 AM
This can't be possible. We've already been told that the reason the Dem led congress can't do anything is because the Reps keep blocking them. I guess that arguement just went out the window!

Steve

LWW
07-16-2008, 05:09 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This can't be possible. We've already been told that the reason the Dem led congress can't do anything is because the Reps keep blocking them. I guess that arguement just went out the window!

Steve </div></div>
Not if you are a practitioner of DOUBLETHINK (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doublethink) as the B-B-B-BUT B-B-B-BOOOOSH! crowd is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them . . . . To tell deliberate lies while genuinely believing in them, to forget any fact that has become inconvenient, and then, when it becomes necessary again, to draw it back from oblivion for just so long as it is needed, to deny the existence of objective reality and all the while to take account of the reality which one denies all this is indispensably necessary. Even in using the word doublethink it is necessary to exercise doublethink. For by using the word one admits that one is tampering with reality; by a fresh act of doublethink one erases this knowledge; and so on indefinitely, with the lie always one leap ahead of the truth.</div></div>

LWW

Jeff
07-16-2008, 06:14 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This can't be possible. We've already been told that the reason the Dem led congress can't do anything is because the Reps keep blocking them. I guess that arguement just went out the window!

Steve </div></div>

If you actually read the news you would know.

Several senators changed their vote after Kennedy made a difficult visit to vote.

After it was clear that the veto was going to fail after the change of vote by several, then MANY changed their vote so they could say they went against the President to pass this bill.

If Kennedy had not made the journey to vote, it probably would have turned into another example of not having enough votes.

And in turn, even MORE Doctors would have either closed the doors or started turning away Medicare users.

DickLeonard
07-16-2008, 09:37 AM
Jeff there is no end to their thievery, Robbing a Dying Man of His Last Breath.####

Wally_in_Cincy
07-16-2008, 03:21 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DickLeonard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jeff there is no end to their thievery, Robbing a Dying Man of His Last Breath.#### </div></div>

So what is your opinion of the inheritance tax?

(Picking the pockets of a dead man)

mike60
07-16-2008, 04:05 PM
Taxes are need driven:

Estate Tax History Versus Myth

The U.S. Senate has followed the House in voting to repeal the estate tax. Estate tax supporters claimed that from the beginning, it was designed to redistribute wealth. But history shows the it existed solely for revenue purposes until the 1930s.

The first estate tax -- enacted July 6, 1797, to help pay for naval rearmament -- required only the purchase of federal stamps for wills and estates, but was terminated four years later because the need for the revenue passed.
A direct tax on inheritances imposed in 1862 during the Civil War ranged from 0.75 percent to 5 percent.
The top rate was raised to 6 percent in 1864; but the tax was then abolished July 14, 1870.
In 1898, an estate tax with a top rate of 15 percent on estates over $1 million was imposed to pay for the Spanish-American War -- then repealed on April 12, 1902.
America's fourth estate tax, enacted in 1916, set a top rate of 10 percent on estates over $5 million. It was raised to 25 percent in 1917, but this rate applied only to estates over $10 million. Unlike its predecessors, it was not repealed after the war, although the top rate was dropped to 20 percent in 1926.

President Franklin Roosevelt raised the top rate to 60 percent in 1934, and to 70 percent in 1935. The same bill increased the top income tax rate to 75 percent and increased corporate taxes. Altogether the law raised just $250 million annually.

Today the estate tax goes up to 60 percent. It exists only to redistribute income, since its revenue yield is negligible. But estate planning makes the tax virtually voluntary, according to estate tax experts.

Source: Bruce Bartlett, senior fellow, National Center for Policy Analysis, July 19, 2000.

For more on Taxes:

http://www.ncpa.org/sub/dpd/index.php?Article_Category=20

mike60

DickLeonard
07-17-2008, 08:52 AM
Wally Inheritance Tax is picking the pockets of a Dead Dumbman who didn't get himself a Trust Lawyer from Harvard. Everyone has a trust to beat the taxes, Even the Rockefellers fancy that.####

eg8r
07-17-2008, 09:22 AM
This is hilarious...We have gayle on one post blasting the rich for evading taxes and then we have her idol #### here proposing a way to evade taxes. It would be nice if the lefties on the board get together and actually agree on what they are upset about.

eg8r

mike60
07-17-2008, 01:51 PM
eg8r, Rent a clue old sod. This is entertainment while we await our stock options and bond interest payments. We meet regularly at the country club and compare new Rolls Royce brochures. Join us.

mike666 james kopp murdering scum doing forever as some guy's bitch

eg8r
07-17-2008, 02:54 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">eg8r, Rent a clue old sod. This is entertainment while we await our stock options and bond interest payments. We meet regularly at the country club and compare new Rolls Royce brochures. Join us.</div></div>LOL, and you probably joke about the good ole days at Princeton. What a goofball you have become.

eg8r

mike60
07-17-2008, 03:38 PM
eg8r, It was pleasant there and since i was raised in Bucks County, Pa. i was able to see my friends. Thanks for the interest.

mike60