PDA

View Full Version : Does the price make a difference in playability?

zombiemodder
07-16-2008, 12:52 AM
Ok say you buy a a basic cue from McDermott will it play the same as the more exspensive model from the same company? I assume this is true and that you are only pay more for the more work and materials that is put into the cue any oppinions will be much appreiated... Thanks.

Rich R.
07-16-2008, 07:17 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zombiemodder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok say you buy a a basic cue from McDermott will it play the same as the more exspensive model from the same company? I assume this is true and that you are only pay more for the more work and materials that is put into the cue any oppinions will be much appreiated... Thanks. </div></div>
No two cues play exactly alike. Since playability is totally subjective and personal, price will not matter. Depending on your personal taste, either cue can be the better choice for you, but it may not be the choice for someone else. I have hit with very inexpensive cues that I thought were very good and I have hit with very expensive cues that I didn't like.
When you find a cue you like, buy it and keep it until you find something you like better.

Cornerman
07-16-2008, 07:34 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zombiemodder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok say you buy a a basic cue from McDermott will it play the same as the more exspensive model from the same company? I assume this is true and that you are only pay more for the more work and materials that is put into the cue any oppinions will be much appreiated... Thanks. </div></div>I think it should play about the same, for all intents and purposes. I know when I talked to Viking many years ago, they talked about poutting their select grade of wood for their shaft in their highest end catalog cue.

FWIW.

Fred

Eric.
07-16-2008, 09:22 AM
Just my opinion:

If you are talking about production cues, then I dont think price matters, from the same manufacturer. I'm assuming it would be too expensive to mass produce mutliple grades of shafts/wood, rather then run them all at teh same time.

I do feel that the quality can be improved on with custom cue makers. The most specific reason I can think of is better, tighter grained shaft wood.

Eric

JWasson
07-16-2008, 09:27 AM
I definately think that the basic McDermott should play the same as the more expensive one with the all the glitter. Now I'm not talking about those cheaper imported Star cues that McDermott has been importing and putting the McD shamrock on lately. I wouldn't think they would likely compare with the real McDermotts but that's just a guess. Maybe one would.. ?

Fran Crimi
07-16-2008, 09:40 AM
Why not write the McDermott company and ask them. I'm sure nobody knows better about their cues than they do.

Fran

JWasson
07-16-2008, 09:52 AM
If a person was actually interested in one of those imported lower priced cues, it might be worth their time to do that indeed. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif
Personally, I think I'll stick with my American made McDermott though.. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

DeadCrab
07-16-2008, 09:58 AM
You can go to this page at the McDermott website, and see the differences in materials and manufacturing for their various cue types:
http://www.mcdermottcue.com/XFeaturesCompare.asp

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fran Crimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why not write the McDermott company and ask them. I'm sure nobody knows better about their cues than they do.

Fran</div></div>

Eric.
07-16-2008, 10:07 AM
JW, we're on the same page.

I feel that in order to get a higher quality shaft i.e. better shaft wood/straighter spine/tighter growth rings, you would need to see a custom cuemaker. I feel that the shaft and tip have the biggest impact on playability.

Eric

JWasson
07-17-2008, 12:02 PM
One great thing is that no matter what cue anyone gets, they will have the option of changing shafts to something different if they like. Even have a custom one made if that's what the particular person thinks they need. I think a lot if time, it's a matter of the player thinking he has what is best for his game that can give him an edge. Just building self confidence. I think we understand that's a key factor to winning.

Cornerman
07-17-2008, 01:25 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DeadCrab</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can go to this page at the McDermott website, and see the differences in materials and manufacturing for their various cue types:
http://www.mcdermottcue.com/XFeaturesCompare.asp

</div></div>This is great information. I applaud McDermott for putting this out there.

Fred

BillyJack
07-17-2008, 01:42 PM
I've owned and played with a bunch of McDermotts, from the basic models thru the $5-600 models. All the shafts appeared to hit the same, and I've switched shafts around between different butts. I do, however, prefer the feel of the Cocobolo / Bacote / Morado wood forearms over maple. It just feels more solid to me, but that's just my opinion.

Bill

1Time
07-19-2008, 07:49 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zombiemodder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok say you buy a a basic cue from McDermott will it play the same as the more exspensive model from the same company? I assume this is true and that you are only pay more for the more work and materials that is put into the cue any oppinions will be much appreiated... Thanks. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich R.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No two cues play exactly alike. Since playability is totally subjective and personal, price will not matter. Depending on your personal taste, either cue can be the better choice for you, but it may not be the choice for someone else. I have hit with very inexpensive cues that I thought were very good and I have hit with very expensive cues that I didn't like.
When you find a cue you like, buy it and keep it until you find something you like better. </div></div>
x2 what Rich R. posted.

There's no way to know if all McDermotts would play about the same for the OP. Some players would find significant differences in playability between various McDermott models. Some may find the same between McDermott cues of the exact same model. And some would not.