PDA

View Full Version : Einstein in his own Words

Jeff
07-17-2008, 01:42 PM
Einstein was much more than what you read about in text books.

His thoughts were deep and probing on many more subjects than science.

Just read this

http://www.aip.org/history/einstein/essay.htm

"This topic brings me to that worst outcrop of herd life, the military system, which I abhor... This plague-spot of civilization ought to be abolished with all possible speed. Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism -- how passionately I hate them!"

"The really valuable thing in the pageant of human life seems to me not the political state, but the creative, sentient individual, the personality; it alone creates the noble and the sublime, while the herd as such remains dull in thought and dull in feeling."

mike60
07-17-2008, 01:47 PM
Jeff, What amazes me is that anyone, any human would start a war. We are just complicated bugs, all grown into complicated life forms with no real better nature until tamed by loving parents.
Good luck,

mike60 bzzzzzzzz..........

sack316
07-17-2008, 01:50 PM
what amazes me, more than that, is knowing the human condition and the way the human mind works... and it amazes me there is not more war than there is.

Sack

Deeman3
07-17-2008, 01:51 PM
I appreciate that Einstein was a pacifist in the best sense of the term and a brilliant man. My only question would, of course, be while he was in the very center of the pre-WWII build-up in Austria, why did he not figure out and convince all those around him of this better path?

I think we all agree war is not good but it certainly helps to have the military around when one does break out.

How would Einstein help us convince the radical Islamic world to make nice? After, being Jew, they would appreciate his view.

mike60
07-17-2008, 02:26 PM
Deeman, I'm sure Einstein tried his best. About the need for an army. We better have one in this world. It's what the leaders do with it that has me worried.

mike60

Deeman3
07-17-2008, 02:44 PM
We can sure agree on that one.