PDA

View Full Version : Personal Info and Identify Theft for Pool Players

1poolfan
07-17-2008, 08:54 PM
A recent event got me to thinking about all the personal information we freely provide the many pool leagues around the country. Since I work in a related field, I got to thinking about how easy it is for this information to end up in the wrong hands and what can be done about it. Many companies are required to secure personal data and spend lots of money doing so. But pool players give out their name, address, phone number, date of birth, and in many cases their SSC to league operators without question.

Well, I think it is time to question how is this data being kept safe? Who has access to it? What happens if the keeper of the data dies? What happens to the data after the league is done with it?

All of these are legitimate questions when the identity theft is a growing problem.

I think it is time we re-think how and who we give this personal data to.

DeadCrab
07-18-2008, 08:18 AM
Don't give 'em your SSN, but otherwise, that data is pretty much public domain.

If you are concerned about it, feed them an alias.

KellyStick
07-23-2008, 11:23 AM
when people who have no business knowing my SSN number "require" it I just make one up. If the one I make up is yours my apologies.

SpiderMan
07-23-2008, 12:37 PM
I do the same thing. Everytime someone asks for a SSN and I don't think they really should need it, I just change a few digits in mine, so I can do it quickly. Did that to the BCA for years.

Deeman3
07-23-2008, 12:39 PM
Of course, I have been giving them Spiderman's number for years. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Eric.
07-23-2008, 01:17 PM
i tell em that I'm an illegal alien.

Eric

Deeman3
07-23-2008, 03:32 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i tell em that I'm an illegal alien.

Eric </div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000"> Then you get a pass! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Thanks for that idea, Eric, now I can give Spiderman's good name and fair credit a rest. </span>

SpiderMan
07-24-2008, 09:31 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i tell em that I'm an illegal alien.
Eric </div></div>

If you could say that in Spanish, you might have saved a few hundred after punching a turd in the mouth. They'd just issue a citation to you, using whatever name you gave, and send you on your way. That's what happened to the guy that ran over me on my Valkyrie.

SpiderMan

Eric.
07-24-2008, 12:44 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SpiderMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i tell em that I'm an illegal alien.
Eric </div></div>

If you could say that in Spanish, you might have saved a few hundred after punching a turd in the mouth. They'd just issue a citation to you, using whatever name you gave, and send you on your way. That's what happened to the guy that ran over me on my Valkyrie.

SpiderMan </div></div>

Ouch.

Eric &gt;no hablamos