PDA

View Full Version : Electric risks at bases worse then reported...

wolfdancer
07-18-2008, 08:45 PM
NY Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/18/world/middleeast/18contractors.html?_r=1&th&emc=th&oref=slogin)

Shoddy electrical work by private contractors on United States military bases in Iraq is widespread and dangerous, causing more deaths and injuries from fires and shocks than the Pentagon has acknowledged, according to internal Army documents.

During just one six-month period — August 2006 through January 2007 — at least 283 electrical fires destroyed or damaged American military facilities in Iraq, including the military’s largest dining hall in the country, documents obtained by The New York Times show. Two soldiers died in an electrical fire at their base near Tikrit in 2006, the records note, while another was injured while jumping from a burning guard tower in May 2007.

And while the Pentagon has previously reported that 13 Americans have been electrocuted in Iraq, many more have been injured, some seriously, by shocks, according to the documents. A log compiled earlier this year at one building complex in Baghdad disclosed that soldiers complained of receiving electrical shocks in their living quarters on an almost daily basis.

Electrical problems were the most urgent noncombat safety hazard for soldiers in Iraq, according to an Army survey issued in February 2007. It noted “a safety threat theaterwide created by the poor-quality electrical fixtures procured and installed, sometimes incorrectly, thus resulting in a significant number of fires.”

The Army report said KBR, the Houston-based company that is responsible for providing basic services for American troops in Iraq, including housing, did its own study and found a “systemic problem” with electrical work.

But the Pentagon did little to address the issue until a Green Beret, Staff Sgt. Ryan D. Maseth, was electrocuted in January while showering. His death, caused by poor electrical grounding, drew the attention of lawmakers and Pentagon leaders after his family pushed for answers. Congress and the Pentagon’s inspector general have begun investigations, and this month senior Army officials ordered electrical inspections of all buildings in Iraq maintained by KBR....."

When informed of these FACTS, Ed replied:
"You fu*kin' people... you have no idea how to defend a nation. All you did was weaken a country today. That's all you did. You put people's lives in danger. Sweet dreams, son."

nAz
07-20-2008, 09:04 AM
wolf KBR and its parent company are very patriotic companies...
I dont appreciate you besmirching them and bring their stock prices down! your hurting my bottom line sir!

cheesemouse
07-20-2008, 10:59 AM
Wolf,
You gotta cut Ed some slack. Remember, his whole life and future are rooted in the Military Industrial Complex, hell, he could be working on sub-contract for electrical power boxes...

wolfdancer
07-20-2008, 02:32 PM
He's one a dem war profiteers???
During WWII, my Mom wired Submarine Control panels for Westinghouse,
and later on riveted nose cones on Airplanes for Bell Aircraft.
I always kidded her on how many subs she sunk, or planes she "shot" down.
Too bad my mom passed away, with the right "kickback" to the RNC, she could have been working as lead electrician over there in her 90's.

wolfdancer
07-20-2008, 02:38 PM
They are waging this war on a "cost plus" basis. Every sub-contractor adds 30% on top of his expenses, then kicks it upstairs, where it is rubber stamped "approved".
The army has it's own engineers who could wire correctly,at a fraction of the cost, but they are reduced to guarding the incompetents that are doing the work.

eg8r
07-21-2008, 09:15 AM
LOL, I could tell you but I would have to kill you. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

My roots in the Military Industrial Complex are still quite shallow. Just passing the time until I get a real job. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

mike60
07-21-2008, 04:26 PM
The problem with no bid is that it includes no responsibility and certainly no money back.

miguel666

eg8r
07-22-2008, 08:36 AM
You might be right, but I have not had the chance to work on one of those programs. The "no money back" is true in every area of business, government or private.

eg8r