PDA

View Full Version : Bank Drills

Jager85
07-19-2008, 10:53 AM
I have been working on improving my game and equipment lately, and I am very satisfied with the result I am seeing in myself. My biggest downfall, has been for a couple years now, that I have been putting off working on is bank shots. I have been working on them more lately, but still cannot shoot a bank shot comforatably and confidently. I really want to crack down and practice these almost daily at home, as time persists, but I don't know the best way to practice banks. Other than setting up the same shot or row of shots over and over again, are there any kinds of bank drills that I can be using to help catalyze this process?

1Time
07-19-2008, 02:13 PM
Banking is a more advanced part of the game. I assume you're about an average player since you've yet to feel confident with banking. The hard (backwards) way of going about this is to go "practice" what you have yet to learn. You can learn from making lots of mistakes, but it will take you a lot longer.

The easy way to learn banking is to take a lesson from someone who is really good at it and can explain it. Nothing comes close to first seeing and understanding what it is you are trying to accomplish.

I recommend finding at least one really good bank pool player, a one pocket player, and a billiards player. And then at least watch what they do for a couple hours each. Then, get a lesson from them if you can and if they can explain what they do.

Also, you could seek out an instructor who can demonstrate their proficiency at banking.

Having said all that and if you instead want something to "practice", here you go. First, don't think of it as practice. Practice is practicing what you already know how to do. Think of it as experimenting, discovery, mistake making, and learning. Set yourself up with an easy short rail bank. Try the same shot over and over again. Try it at different speeds, different English, top spin and draw. Think in terms of making the shot AND controlling the cue ball to where you want it to go. Once you feel comfortable with that, try the same with a different but also simple bank shot. Then go back and practice the first bank shot you learned.

John in NH
07-20-2008, 05:54 PM
JAGER85,

When I think of banking I think of looking in a mirror. To be a successful banker you must think of playing every shot with center ball or inside english this will eliminate the dreaded scratch which in many cases will cause you to lose matches that you should have won. Banking does not require a lot of drills, but does require an understanding of the direction of the cueball opposite the object ball, inside english will eliminate the cueball tendensy to run out of control.

Good luck,

John

1Time
07-20-2008, 09:16 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: John in NH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
To be a successful banker you must think of playing every shot with center ball or inside english this will eliminate the dreaded scratch which in many cases will cause you to lose matches that you should have won. Banking does not require a lot of drills, but does require an understanding of the direction of the cueball opposite the object ball, inside english will eliminate the cueball tendensy to run out of control.</div></div>
This is not true. The cue ball can be controlled well regardless of how you hit it when banking. You don't need to use inside English with banking to be successful or to keep control of the cue ball. Most of the bank shots I shoot are not with inside English or center, and I am actually quite good at banking.