PDA

View Full Version : cuetec cues

gunzo
07-20-2008, 01:02 AM
Hi, im new to the site so id like to just say hi to everyone and introduce myself, my names nick ive been in the game now for about 2 years playing pretty seriously.
anyways i have a question, i was looking at the Cuetec 99396 Cue http://www.cuestore.ca/pool_cues/cuetec/thunderbolt_series/1/99396 and i was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this cue, i wanted to take a step up from my cue and spend around 200$$. would you reccomend maybe another cue for that price or is this a good cue?
thanx for the help

zombiemodder
07-20-2008, 06:19 AM
I would sugjest either a McDermott or Viking in that price range you can get a real nice one from a autorized dealer on ebay. I recently bought a McDermott and it shoots great. I also own a Viking and it is also a great shooter. Basicly just shop around alittle before making your final decision. Have Fun.

JWasson
07-20-2008, 09:40 AM
I love my McDermott and they offer cues in that price range. I agree with zombiemodder and you should look around first. Just my opinion.

av84fun
07-20-2008, 11:19 PM
First, it's not the arrow, it's the archer, as Allison Fisher has been proving for many years with a stock Cuetec cue.

No one builds a better cue for 200 bucks. And since you are fairly new to the game, I would STRONGLY urge you to get a cue with a low deflection shaft.

Cuetec cues feature such shafts. I don't know if McDermott or Viking do in that price range. They may...I just don't know.

But for the money, you can't do any better than Cuetec and it will give you years of service.

Regards,
Jim

zombiemodder
07-21-2008, 01:45 AM
I agree with the "It's not the arrow it's the arher" But if you have a better arrow you will shoot straiter. I have heard that the low deflection shaft of the cuetec cues is not that good because of the fiber glass they use in it to make it warp resistant.

Bambu
07-21-2008, 09:23 AM
Are you sure allison doesnt use a different shaft with the cuetec butt? (Thats only I heard.) I didnt like the fiberglass feel at all, but I guess its all just preference.

gunzo
07-21-2008, 11:11 AM
i went out and felt some of the McDermott cues and i think im still leaning towards the cuetec, actually i like how the fiberglass feel to shafts.

1Time
07-21-2008, 01:46 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunzo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi, im new to the site so id like to just say hi to everyone and introduce myself, my names nick ive been in the game now for about 2 years playing pretty seriously.
anyways i have a question, i was looking at the Cuetec 99396 Cue http://www.cuestore.ca/pool_cues/cuetec/thunderbolt_series/1/99396 and i was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this cue, i wanted to take a step up from my cue and spend around 200$$. would you reccomend maybe another cue for that price or is this a good cue?
thanx for the help </div></div>
Hi gunzo. I doubt anyone reading your thread would have had any experience with the Cuetec cue you're considering. And even if someone had, that should have little effect on your decision making. Cuetec cues have a good reputation for quality, and that alone should qualilfy them for your consideration. Anyone else's experience with that particular Cuetec model would not necessarily be similar to your own. For example, if 10 people posted negative experiences here about that cue and Allison Fisher posted a positive experience, what shoud any of that matter? It really shouldn't. The best test for choosing a cue is how well a particular one cue works for you at the pool table. Many people who have tried shooting with Cuetec cues did not like them and/or found they prefer other cues, and you may find you are like them; or, you may find the opposite and decide a Cuetec cue is for you. Given you're serious about pool, it seems you'd want a pool cue that would shoot better for you than many others for around $200 or less. And you can't reliably determine that by typing online.

Since you have been playing seriously for about 2 years and are shopping for a better cue, you likely already have learned that some cues shoot better for you than others. It usually doesn't take much comparison between cues to figure this out. And so with respect to buying a new cue, it's the better arrow you're looking for to help make the Indian shoot better. Said another way and with respect to buying a new cue, it's the arrow, not the Indian. The method of buying that will give you the best chance of getting a $200 cue that will work better for you than many other new cues for around $200 or less, is first to shoot with the particular cue you are considering and compare it to other cues. Many times this can be done in a billiards store, and I highly recommend seeking one of these out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunzo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i went out and felt some of the McDermott cues and i think im still leaning towards the cuetec, actually i like how the fiberglass feel to shafts. </div></div>
I just read your latest post above. Feel of the cue is important. But much more important is how well the cue shoots for you as compared to other cues. For example, I have a cue with a pro taper that feels good and right to me, probably because it's so much like the cues I have shot with for so long. However, I shoot better with another cue that I have that does not have a pro taper; it has more of a conical taper. It doesn't feel as good or natural to me, but I shoot better with it and so that's the cue I shoot with. Moral of the story: it's not best to go by one or a few aspects of the cue that you prefer. It's best to go by which cue shoots better for you. And you can't get that without actually shooting with the cue and comparing it to others. That is not to say you would not like a Cuetec cue or that you could not shoot well with it. I am saying that unless you first compare it to other cues, you may later and fairly easily find you shoot better with some other $200 or less cue.

MAC
07-21-2008, 03:44 PM
When you start getting that high up in price it pretty much becomes personal preference. I personally like McDermott cues. I looked at getting a Cuetec and I didnt care for the shaft very much at all. Gunzo, good luck with picking your new cue out and welcome to the forum, you have alot of knowledgeble individuals here at your disposal. They have helped me out alot.

gunzo
07-22-2008, 01:13 AM
thanx alot guys you have really helped me out and pointed me in the right direction. im going to stop off at this other billiard store which carries cuetec and check them out. ill let you guys know what my final decision will be

1Time
07-22-2008, 03:20 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunzo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanx alot guys you have really helped me out and pointed me in the right direction. im going to stop off at this other billiard store which carries cuetec and check them out. ill let you guys know what my final decision will be </div></div>
I suggest calling ahead to confirm their policy for shooting with their display model cues. Tell them you want to buy one of their cues for up to $300 that shoots best for you. Ask what size table they have to shoot on and if they allow their display model cues to be chalked by their customers.

---------------

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: av84fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First, it's not the arrow, it's the archer, as Allison Fisher has been proving for many years with a stock Cuetec cue.</div></div>
No, Allison Fisher using a stock Cuetec cue does not prove it's the archer. It proves that's the cue she prefers. If for example she used a different make and model cue for each game she played and sustained no degredation in the level of her game, then that would go a long way toward proving that for her it's not the arrow; it's the archer. However, even then it would not prove this to be the case for other players. Contrary to your claim, many players notice differences between pool cues that affect their game, and they choose the cue they use accordingly. Many don't just buy a cue because they believe one cue would shoot just as well for them as another.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: av84fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No one builds a better cue for 200 bucks. </div></div>
So what good is a such a $200 cue if you shoot better with some other cue for $200 or less?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: av84fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And since you are fairly new to the game, I would STRONGLY urge you to get a cue with a low deflection shaft.</div></div>
If as you first claimed that it's the archer and not the arrow, then why would it be so important to shoot with a low deflection shaft? Any argument for or against one cue or another contradicts such a claim.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: av84fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cuetec cues feature such shafts. I don't know if McDermott or Viking do in that price range. They may...I just don't know.</div></div>
It's much better to choose the cue that works best for you than to choose one for a particular feature or aspect like low deflection.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: av84fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But for the money, you can't do any better than Cuetec and it will give you years of service. </div></div>
Money is better spent on a cue that shoots better for you than many other cues, and there's no way to know if that cue would be a Cuetec or any other particular brand without first shooting with it and comparing it to others.

gunzo
07-22-2008, 12:36 PM
so i went by the store and my final decision was to stick with the butt that i currently have and i bought a predator shaft to go on the butt..ive already played with it at home and i love it..the shaft is the predator 314 2 i grabbed it for 200$. I think this was the best decision

1Time
07-22-2008, 11:54 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunzo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so i went by the store and my final decision was to stick with the butt that i currently have and i bought a predator shaft to go on the butt..ive already played with it at home and i love it..the shaft is the predator 314 2 i grabbed it for 200$. I think this was the best decision </div></div>
Hard for anyone to know if this was the best decision because you made no mention of having compared your purchase with other offerings in this price range. That said, it's obvious this was a good purchase. You played with it and love it; and it has a good resale value. Enjoy your new cue and don't look back.

av84fun
07-24-2008, 01:52 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zombiemodder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree with the "It's not the arrow it's the arher" But if you have a better arrow you will shoot straiter. I have heard that the low deflection shaft of the cuetec cues is not that good because of the fiber glass they use in it to make it warp resistant. </div></div>

That is competitor marketing BS or personal opinion from someone who is, of course, entitled to it.

But it is pretty silly to suggest that Allison Fisher, who has won more WPBA events than all other competitors COMBINED, would play with a cue that didn't play in a world class fashion.

And she won most of those events with the SAME STOCK CUE.

Your decision is really what tip to use which can only come from personal experimentation because there are WIDELY varying opinions about tips, hardness within brands and shape...although anything but a dime shape doesn't make any sense TO ME...just IMHO.

For the money, there is no better cue on the planet from a playability point of view.

BTW, I don't have anything to do with Cuetec and don't own one of their cues...but ONLY because I don't personally care for their decorative designs.

Regards,
Jim

av84fun
07-24-2008, 01:58 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bambu</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Are you sure allison doesnt use a different shaft with the cuetec butt? (Thats only I heard.) I didnt like the fiberglass feel at all, but I guess its all just preference. </div></div>

Absolutely, utterly POSITIVE. She and I are personal friends but there was a MAJOR thread on that topic on AZ and it got Alli so mad that her companion Kristi posted the FACTS.

Non-standard shaft use by Alli is just more urban legend...probably started by competitors who must be driven CRAZY that Alli has PROVEN that, in the hands of a champion, a $200 or so CueTec cue
can beat the world.

Regards,
Jim

av84fun
07-24-2008, 02:04 AM
I fully agree with everything that 1Time posted. In fact, it is beyond me why people pay a thousand or several thousand dollars for a cue, built for them but that they obviously have never even LOOKED at let alone played with until it arrives.

I guess some people just get off on owning expensive, big name custom cues...and that's cool. But the after market is FULL of such cues that can actually be held in your hands and stroked at top pro events and trade shows.

So, whatever you do, buy a cue that you have held in your own hands and hopefully been able to demo on the table.

Regards,
Jim

av84fun
07-24-2008, 02:09 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1Time</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunzo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanx alot guys you have really helped me out and pointed me in the right direction. im going to stop off at this other billiard store which carries cuetec and check them out. ill let you guys know what my final decision will be </div></div>
I suggest calling ahead to confirm their policy for shooting with their display model cues. Tell them you want to buy one of their cues for up to $300 that shoots best for you. Ask what size table they have to shoot on and if they allow their display model cues to be chalked by their customers.

---------------

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: av84fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First, it's not the arrow, it's the archer, as Allison Fisher has been proving for many years with a stock Cuetec cue.</div></div>
No, Allison Fisher using a stock Cuetec cue does not prove it's the archer. It proves that's the cue she prefers. If for example she used a different make and model cue for each game she played and sustained no degredation in the level of her game, then that would go a long way toward proving that for her it's not the arrow; it's the archer. However, even then it would not prove this to be the case for other players. Contrary to your claim, many players notice differences between pool cues that affect their game, and they choose the cue they use accordingly. Many don't just buy a cue because they believe one cue would shoot just as well for them as another.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: av84fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No one builds a better cue for 200 bucks. </div></div>
So what good is a such a $200 cue if you shoot better with some other cue for $200 or less?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: av84fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And since you are fairly new to the game, I would STRONGLY urge you to get a cue with a low deflection shaft.</div></div>
If as you first claimed that it's the archer and not the arrow, then why would it be so important to shoot with a low deflection shaft? Any argument for or against one cue or another contradicts such a claim.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: av84fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cuetec cues feature such shafts. I don't know if McDermott or Viking do in that price range. They may...I just don't know.</div></div>
It's much better to choose the cue that works best for you than to choose one for a particular feature or aspect like low deflection.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: av84fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But for the money, you can't do any better than Cuetec and it will give you years of service. </div></div>
Money is better spent on a cue that shoots better for you than many other cues, and there's no way to know if that cue would be a Cuetec or any other particular brand without first shooting with it and comparing it to others. </div></div>

Ooops...I agree with what he said in his OTHER posts...not this one...in which there were several misconceptions that needn't be discussed since the OP has already made his choice.

Regards,
Jim

1Time
07-28-2008, 02:27 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: av84fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ooops...I agree with what he said in his OTHER posts...not this one...in which there were several misconceptions that needn't be discussed since the OP has already made his choice.</div></div>
No, there were no misconceptions in my earlier post. You obviously have no reasonable retort.

1Time
07-28-2008, 02:35 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: av84fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> But it is pretty silly to suggest that Allison Fisher, who has won more WPBA events than all other competitors COMBINED, would play with a cue that didn't play in a world class fashion.

And she won most of those events with the SAME STOCK CUE.</div></div>
Allison Fisher probably could shoot in a world class fashion with several other cues, Cuetec or not. But she no doubt chose the stock Cuetec cue she uses because she prefers it to other cues she has tried.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: av84fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your decision is really what tip to use which can only come from personal experimentation because there are WIDELY varying opinions about tips, hardness within brands and shape...although anything but a dime shape doesn't make any sense TO ME...just IMHO.</div></div>
I agree with the comment here about widely varying opinions about tips. And although I'm sure there's good reasoning for some to use a dime shaped tip, a better reason to use an otherwise shaped tip is it works better for a particular player or shaft / cue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: av84fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the money, there is no better cue on the planet from a playability point of view. </div></div>
If this were true, then every pool player would shoot better pool with $200 Cutec cues than all other $200 cues. However, no doubt many players shoot better with $200 cues that are not Cuetec. And so your claim is false.

Bambu
07-28-2008, 08:31 AM
Her companion eh? Its good to learn new things all the time. God, I love this site. Makes me wonder if there is some kind of scientific correlation between a womans sexual preference, and degrees of athleticism. (And I dont mean that in a disrespectful way.)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: av84fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bambu</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Are you sure allison doesnt use a different shaft with the cuetec butt? (Thats only I heard.) I didnt like the fiberglass feel at all, but I guess its all just preference. </div></div>

Absolutely, utterly POSITIVE. She and I are personal friends but there was a MAJOR thread on that topic on AZ and it got Alli so mad that her companion Kristi posted the FACTS.

Non-standard shaft use by Alli is just more urban legend...probably started by competitors who must be driven CRAZY that Alli has PROVEN that, in the hands of a champion, a $200 or so CueTec cue
can beat the world.

Regards,
Jim</div></div>