PDA

View Full Version : Proof of life on Mars?

LWW
07-21-2008, 06:37 AM
If you believe in CO2 being the cause then logic would dictate that Mars must have a subterranean civilization ran by EEEVILLL capitalists running around in Martian HUMMERs.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style='font-size: 17pt'><u>Mars Melt Hints at Solar, Not Human, Cause for Warming, Scientist Says</u></span>
Kate Ravilious
for National Geographic News
February 28, 2007
Simultaneous warming on Earth and Mars suggests that our planet's recent climate changes have a natural—and not a human-induced—cause, according to one scientist's controversial theory.

Earth is currently experiencing rapid warming, which the vast majority of climate scientists says is due to humans pumping huge amounts of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. (Get an overview: "Global Warming Fast Facts".)

Mars, too, appears to be enjoying more mild and balmy temperatures.

In 2005 data from NASA's Mars Global Surveyor and Odyssey missions revealed that the carbon dioxide "ice caps" near Mars's south pole had been diminishing for three summers in a row.

Habibullo Abdussamatov, head of space research at St. Petersburg's Pulkovo Astronomical Observatory in Russia, says the Mars data is evidence that the current global warming on Earth is being caused by changes in the sun.

"The long-term increase in solar irradiance is heating both Earth and Mars," he said.

Solar Cycles

Abdussamatov believes that changes in the sun's heat output can account for almost all the climate changes we see on both planets.

Mars and Earth, for instance, have experienced periodic ice ages throughout their histories.

"Man-made greenhouse warming has made a small contribution to the warming seen on Earth in recent years, but it cannot compete with the increase in solar irradiance," Abdussamatov said.

By studying fluctuations in the warmth of the sun, Abdussamatov believes he can see a pattern that fits with the ups and downs in climate we see on Earth and Mars.

Abdussamatov's work, however, has not been well received by other climate scientists.

"His views are completely at odds with the mainstream scientific opinion," said Colin Wilson, a planetary physicist at England's Oxford University.

"And they contradict the extensive evidence presented in the most recent IPCC report." (Related: "Global Warming 'Very Likely' Caused by Humans, World Climate Experts Say" [February 2, 2007].)

Amato Evan, a climate scientist at the University of Wisconsin, Madison, added that "the idea just isn't supported by the theory or by the observations."

Planets' Wobbles

The conventional theory is that climate changes on Mars can be explained primarily by small alterations in the planet's orbit and tilt, not by changes in the sun.

"Wobbles in the orbit of Mars are the main cause of its climate change in the current era," Oxford's Wilson explained. (Related: "Don't Blame Sun for Global Warming, Study Says" [September 13, 2006].)

All planets experience a few wobbles as they make their journey around the sun. Earth's wobbles are known as Milankovitch cycles and occur on time scales of between 20,000 and 100,000 years.

These fluctuations change the tilt of Earth's axis and its distance from the sun and are thought to be responsible for the waxing and waning of ice ages on Earth.

Mars and Earth wobble in different ways, and most scientists think it is pure coincidence that both planets are between ice ages right now.

"Mars has no [large] moon, which makes its wobbles much larger, and hence the swings in climate are greater too," Wilson said.

No Greenhouse

Perhaps the biggest stumbling block in Abdussamatov's theory is his dismissal of the greenhouse effect, in which atmospheric gases such as carbon dioxide help keep heat trapped near the planet's surface.

He claims that carbon dioxide has only a small influence on Earth's climate and virtually no influence on Mars.

But "without the greenhouse effect there would be very little, if any, life on Earth, since our planet would pretty much be a big ball of ice," said Evan, of the University of Wisconsin.

Most scientists now fear that the massive amount of carbon dioxide humans are pumping into the air will lead to a catastrophic rise in Earth's temperatures, dramatically raising sea levels as glaciers melt and leading to extreme weather worldwide.

Abdussamatov remains contrarian, however, suggesting that the sun holds something quite different in store.

[i]"The solar irradiance began to drop in the 1990s, and a minimum will be reached by approximately 2040," Abdussamatov said. "It will cause a steep cooling of the climate on Earth in 15 to 20 years."</div></div>
Of course the second option is that 3 years later we are seeing evidence that Abdussamatov was right.

I'm betting on the latter.

OH DEAR! (http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/02/070228-mars-warming_2.html)

LWW

eg8r
07-21-2008, 09:53 AM
LWW, you are missing the issue here. There is no proof of life on Mars. What is really happening here, is that W is so out of control and here is more proof that America is not only killing Earth but we are also taking out Mars in the process.

eg8r

wolfdancer
07-21-2008, 10:40 AM
say, you two should have your own private forum here....
My suggestion for it would be "the think tank" where just "great minds" like both of yours can meet and diss the average American

LWW
07-21-2008, 11:25 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">say, you two should have your own private forum here....
My suggestion for it would be "the think tank" where just "great minds" like both of yours can meet and diss the average American </div></div>
How, praytell, was the "average American" dissed?

LWW

Chopstick
07-21-2008, 11:49 AM
http://www.activistcash.com/images/logos/earthfist.gif

Earth First! We'll destroy the rest of the planets later. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

wolfdancer
07-21-2008, 12:13 PM
Say there "Bully Boy"...don't you remember that you have me on ignore?
Since you both believe you are "special"; try to "talk down" to everybody....and what a f**in joke that is....
You're still the "weakest link" here, but Ed is catching up...
I've spent a lot of time in pool rooms, and there's always some loud mouth f**k there that "knows" everything, and tries to "hold court".
You don't play pool, do you???

Jeff
07-21-2008, 12:43 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Of course the second option is that 3 years later we are seeing evidence that Abdussamatov was right.

LWW </div></div>

There's a "funny" part to this, and a "REALLY funny" part.

LWW (AKA Ducky) runs from forum to forum to forum to forum. day in and day out and day in and day out, posting his idiotic rambling hate messages...............

The "funny" part is, for the unfortunate few who actually see it, he does more damage to how the Republican party is viewed than all the left wing sites/posters EVER could.

Now the "REALLY funny" part is after all is said and done, the elections will still go on and nothing he has said or done will make a rats ass bit of difference one way or the other.

The ONLY thing he has accomplished is with every post another check mark goes next to his name as the biggest fool in the world.

Deeman3
07-21-2008, 12:53 PM
Jeff,

Probably a very apt description of most of us who post on here. If any of us beleive we are changing the views of the masses or even the other side on here, we may be deceiving ourselves.

If any of you think the arguments or discussions on here will change the outcome of the general election, raise your hand.

I see the Iraqi government is saying they side with obama and we should be gone in from there as soon as possible. Given that, I may now have to agree with Obama, let's get out and let the rest of the world deal with the Middle East from now on. I think it is always rude to stay longer than you are welcome. And...no inviting us back in a few months just because they may be hanging Malaki in the public square. If Obama is a man of his word, we can get out and the only thing we should ever send back to the middle east is missles. Whatever their fate, these idiots will deserve exactly what they get. Tribal rule, covered women and plenty of sand and oil. When me and T. Boon get through, we'll be cruising down the boulavard on wind powered scooters. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

sack316
07-21-2008, 12:58 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> covered women... </div></div>

Oh no sir... check THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ScixikRgiI) out. They be getting wild too!

Sack

wolfdancer
07-21-2008, 12:59 PM
Jeff, it's not well known, but the Democratic party pays him by the post, to go from site to site, and act as a spokesman for the Republicans.
It's well known however that he thinks his crapola is so important, and earth shattering...that he feels compelled to spam it on every known site.
In fact he prefaced one of his banal offerings with something like "I want as many Americans as possible to read this" (WTF)...it Turned out to be more right wing propaganda that he probably picked up from the ministry of disinformation, Fox news

sack316
07-21-2008, 01:01 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...it Turned out to be more right wing propaganda that he probably picked up from the ministry of disinformation, Fox news </div></div>

We surely know he wouldn't be able to get anything from his viewpoint from The NYT don't we? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif

Sack

wolfdancer
07-21-2008, 01:03 PM
I tried to watch the whole thing, but kept getting sexually aroused, and couldn't sit close enough comfortably, to my keyboard to type.

sack316
07-21-2008, 01:10 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I tried to watch the whole thing, but kept getting sexually aroused, and couldn't sit close enough comfortably, to my keyboard to type. </div></div>

yyyeehhhss Ii knw wht u meeeen

(he he, that's my keyboard being all sticky)

Sack

Deeman3
07-21-2008, 01:16 PM
Like Wolfdancer I could only take so much Hot MOnkey Love or as the Shia call it Burka, Burka Burnin Love.

I rememebr when seeing Mrs. Clarks underwear while she sat on a desk had to be a 10 on any 15 year old's scale. I wonder if the sight of an ankle drives the Muslim men crazy? I assume the fully nude hairy arm pits is like watching Jamie Lee Curtis dance in that spy movie? Just curious!

mike60
07-21-2008, 02:47 PM
L DUB DUCKY, Can't buy a break. Geeze, he or rather it, tries to elevate our little forum and wham! Oh well.

miguel666