PDA

View Full Version : What break cue do you use and how good is it?

zombiemodder
07-22-2008, 03:39 AM
Im going to buy a break cue just wanted to get a few oppinions.

1Time
07-22-2008, 04:10 AM
You should want to buy a break cue that breaks good for you and not one because it breaks good for someone else.

I break with my playing cue because it does OK and I can't get any of my other cues to break as good for me. None of my cues were specifically designed for breaking.

BCA Master Instr
07-22-2008, 05:54 AM
I use a Jerico "Stinger". It's as good as I am!....SPF=randyg

KellyStick
07-22-2008, 06:02 AM
I break with a Cue I bought in Bahrain and was refurbished here in the states. I bought it after meandering around in the Suques there. It's cheap but work's ok and I don't seem to know any better. On the other hand at home I occasionally break with a heavy one piece fiberglass cue that seems to break a ton. On the other hand I'm not sure it breaks better. Lately I am focusing on CB control after the break and I just don't seem to be able to do it well at all with any cue unless I back way off on speed. I often feel cursed on the break in regard to making a ball (8 ball mostly).

I have seen little info on how to break properly. I would get more value our of that kind of info rather than the cue to use I think. Though I could see both can have an impact. Breaking is one part of my game I think I could improve on. Particularly breaking hard enough with good CB control.

dg-in-centralpa
07-22-2008, 07:55 AM
I use an old Predator. It used to be my everyday playing cue, but now it's my break cue. I have a jump/break cue but don't like the feel when used for breaking.

DG - no scientific analysis, only my opinion

Bambu
07-22-2008, 08:21 AM
I feel my predator BK2 was a bit pricey, but I do like it. As long as the object ball isnt too close, it also doubles as a jump cue.

Eric.
07-22-2008, 08:43 AM
I use a J&J break/jump with a phenolic tip. It can break down to a short cue for jumping. I feel I get as much power and control as any other break cue I've tried. I think I paid a whopping $75 for it.

I feel that if you have something with a phenolic tip, or something similar, the most gains you'll get is to practice your break technique. I haven't found a silver bullet yet, as far as break cues go.

Eric

MAC
07-22-2008, 09:59 AM
I have a Fury J/B I bought for about $150. I love it and everyone else on my team does also.

joepool
07-22-2008, 10:09 AM
Predator Bk...has a great feel to it...it breaks as good as I stroke the shot...

JWasson
07-22-2008, 11:14 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MAC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Fury J/B I bought for about $150. I love it and everyone else on my team does also. </div></div>
Thanks for the information, that's good news and good to know. I just ordered a Fury JB-RW. I hope it works as good for me. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

.5 blind in pool
07-24-2008, 05:18 AM
fury jb
nearly bought that one .. but settled for a gino ferrari with a G10 tip .. kapow!

MAC
07-24-2008, 10:47 AM
I have no doubt you will enjoy the cue, once you get past the awful sound anyway.

JoeW
07-24-2008, 06:14 PM
I use a Rick Howard jump / break and everyone who uses it on my league team really liks it. It has a very hard leather tip and there are no problems with league rules.

BigRigTom
07-26-2008, 11:04 PM
I am coming in a bit late but since mine is different I figured it was worth mentioning.
I have a 20 oz. Scorpion BJ, it came originally with a hard LePro tip.
I replaced that tip with a phenolic and WOW!
My friend calls it my BAZOOKA.
Honestly though, it works only as good as I stroke like several others said about theirs.
I did get two consecutive 8 ball breaks in League two weeks ago, that was a 1st for me.
It was a combination of the break cue and the technique which I have been working on for about a year now. Then last week I had a heck of a time just sinking anything on the break so I am still a bit puzzled just like the rest.
Even the Pros talk about all the factors that go into a GREAT BREAK and they all talk about Bustamonte's explosive break but then next thing you hear it's Cory Deuell's soft break, then someone has an amazing cut break then along comes that really smart guy who does something else.
There is no end to it.