PDA

View Full Version : CBS Evening News edits out McCain’s mistake

Qtec
07-23-2008, 09:30 AM
So much for the Liberal media. Would they have done this for Obama?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">McCain Falsely Claims The Surge ‘Began The Anbar Awakening,’ But CBS Edits It Out»

During an interview with Sen. John McCain (R-AZ), CBS Evening News host Katie Couric noted that Sen. Barack Obama (D-IL) said recently that “there might have been improved security [in Iraq] even without the surge” and asked McCain, “What’s your response to that?”

After first calling Obama’s claim “a false depiction of what actually happened,” McCain proceeded to falsely claim that the surge “began the Anbar awakening“:

McCAIN: I don’t know how you respond to something that is such a false depiction of what actually happened. Colonel McFarland was contacted by one of the major Sunni sheiks. Because of the surge we were able to go out and protect that sheik and others. And it began the Anbar awakening. I mean, that’s just a matter of history.

But in a puzzling move, the CBS Evening News did not actually televise McCain’s false claim tonight. As MSNBC’s Keith Olbermann reported, “CBS curiously, to say the least, left it on the edit room floor. It aired Katie Couric’s question, but in response, it inserted part of McCain’s answer to another question instead.”

CBS’s full interview with McCain (with video) appears online. CNN aired the portion that CBS edited out. Watch it: </div></div>

After the "Iraq-Pakistan border" gaffe [just for Ed and LWW........ there is no Iraq -Pakistan border !], this shows McCain as another no-brain candidate reading from cue-cards and parroting GOP talking points. Its pathetic...

The fact that the media attacks Obama and gives MC a free ride escapes the general public.

Q

Jeff
07-23-2008, 10:00 AM
I posted about this on the other forum.

Can't wait for the excuses to start flying.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Deeman3
07-23-2008, 10:13 AM
Jeff,

I don't think McCain has that many fans here, never has. I don't defend him nor Obama anymore as both have proven to be poor choices for candidates for POTUS. Obama, becuase of his youth and a real need in thisd country for slogans, will probably prevail. Both are showing very little command of the subject matter as evidenced by the misstatements of both.

I don't know why CBS would hide anything they had from McCain that was newsworthy! They have not done so in the past. I suppose the media will ask her about this, or her editor. You and I both know that no one in the press has the guts to challenge Obama. That has been clear for months. The very fact they are covering him with hundreds of cameras is partly because he is newsworthy, part of can't be that they are biased against him so they give him more coverage. I say we wait and see what comes out about what he tells the Arabs vs, what he tells the Israelis and how he builds a foundation of trust with those he will have to moderate disputes among. If the misspoken words of either are what you want to focus on, so be it. I have not seen a lot of posts calling out Obama over his remarks on the surge. I thought we would give him and Mccain the time and benefit of the doubt until they can formulate more positions after the trip.

sack316
07-23-2008, 10:19 AM
I'm gonna use the left AND right strategy to make this one go away. Ahem....

"You are just proving my point! They cut out part of his interview! Probably just to be able to show golden boy Obama more. There they go, cutting out airtime of McCain while they repeat the same drivel about Obama over and over to get him elected. Why don't they just make an Obama Channel, 24/7 real life Obama for us all to watch our savior on. (insert random link here)"

Oh, and also he didn't specify what surge resulted in the awakening. I assume him to have meant the surge of money /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

See, I'll play it both ways when I see it.

Sack

eg8r
07-23-2008, 10:43 AM
Q, who is disagreeing with you? No one is pro-McCain.

eg8r

Deeman3
07-23-2008, 10:48 AM
I beg to differ, his wife is all for him. You can tell by how slowly the right is coming to his side that there is just no clammor for him. Obama, while an enpty suit, fills it enough to get the presidency. We can just hope he gets a good second man to make the dscisions for him. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r
07-23-2008, 10:55 AM
I don't even think his wife is too excited. The worst part about this election is that there is not one candidate that is better than the other. All we have to choose from is more garbage from the left.

eg8r

Bobbyrx
07-23-2008, 11:12 AM
Would they do this for Obama?? You gotta be kidding. The networks are following him around like he's the Pied Piper from the Middle East to all 57 states. At least McCain's even taking questions from the press, which Obama doesn't seem to be doing on his "tour"

"NBC's Andrea Mitchell was the one journalist with the courage to name what she was actually seeing happen: Obama faking even being interviewed by the press.

"Let me say something about the message management. He didn't have reporters with him, he didn't have a press pool, he didn't do a press conference," either in Afghanistan or Iraq, noted Mitchell on the air. Instead Obama manufactured "what some would call 'fake interviews,' because they are not interviews from a journalist," Mitchell went on.

Mitchell understands very well that this contrived image management is powerfully all to Obama's political advantage. He's shameless when it comes to managing his own image. "Politically it's as smart as can be," she conceded before noting the big obvious truth nobody else in the media was bothering to expose: "We've not seen a presidential candidate do this, in my recollection, ever before."

LWW
07-23-2008, 01:17 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jeff,

I don't think McCain has that many fans here, never has.</div></div>
That doesn't matter to a member of the Obamanation ... if you do not accept the words of the most benevolent and most high messiah Barack Hussein Obama then you are an infidel follower of McCain. There are no other possibilities in the eyes of a partisan.

LWW

Jeff
07-23-2008, 01:24 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jeff,

I don't think McCain has that many fans here, never has.</div></div>
That doesn't matter to a member of the Obamanation ... if you do not accept the words of the most benevolent and most high messiah Barack Hussein Obama then you are an infidel follower of McCain. There are no other possibilities in the eyes of a partisan.

LWW </div></div>

No, LWW isn't a hater. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Notice the little "infidel" thrown in there? Gotta keep the Muslim fear going every chance you get.

sack316
07-23-2008, 02:18 PM
ha ha, Obamanation. I get it. That there's funny I don't care who ye'r

Sack

pooltchr
07-23-2008, 06:39 PM
What's sad is Obama is over there, and can't find time to even speak with the troops. Get off the plane, jump in a car to meet with a General or two, go to a private area for his photo ops, then back in the plane. But then, we already understand how the left feels about the military.

I don't think much of him as a person...time will tell if he can be an effective POTUS.

Steve

Jeff
07-23-2008, 07:02 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> But then, we already understand how the left feels about the military.

Steve </div></div>

What a stupid thing to say.

It took a soldier asking Donald Rumsfeld in front of cameras in 2004 to force Bush to finally do something. Soldiers were being killed because of unarmored/under armored vehicles.

Quote Bush after the Rumsfeld incident:

"The concerns expressed are being addressed, and that is we expect our troops to have the best possible equipment," the president said in response to a reporter’s question at the White House.

"If I were a soldier overseas wanting to defend my country, I’d want to ask the secretary of defense the same question, and that is, ‘Are we getting the best we can get us."

And who can forget this quote from Cheney:

"You fight with the Army that we give you not the Army that you want"

jayalley
07-23-2008, 07:12 PM
Why do we care what this jerk in the Netherlands says about the USA in his endless tirades against us???? We have enough America haters right here at home (on this forum).

We could ask him if his wife/girlfriend (or boyfriend) has started getting used to wearing a headscarf in the Islamic Republic of the Netherlands....but who cares about this little country on the verge of extinction??? Mind your own business!!!

jayalley
07-23-2008, 07:15 PM
Hey, Jeff, sharpening up those spelling skills, big fella ?

Bambu
07-23-2008, 07:23 PM
And who can forget this quote from Cheney:

"You fight with the Army that we give you not the Army that you want"

Oh, thats real warm. Sounds like the barbara bush comment on katrina.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yV8vcpMPPPA&feature=related

or this one on the war:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXNjQMXcC1w&feature=related

Feel the love.

Jeff
07-23-2008, 07:26 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jayalley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey, Jeff, sharpening up those spelling skills, big fella ? </div></div>

Apparently better than you. It seems you have a difficult time spelling your own party.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jayalley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">................. It was Romney and Mormons, then rich <span style="color: #FF0000">Rebublican</span> Jews, and now it's "hypocritical" Christians. Vito Fosella never came into your little hovel and bothered you and your husband with his beliefs. .............</div></div>

It's "Republican"

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Qtec
07-23-2008, 09:07 PM
link (http://www.crooksandliars.com/2008/07/23/thousands-of-gis-state-dept-workers-flock-to-obama-in-baghdad/)

Q

Qtec
07-23-2008, 09:41 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Q, who is disagreeing with you? No one is pro-McCain.

eg8r </div></div>

Well Fox are and it seems CBS has bowed to pressure from the McCain camp by editing out a major blunder. My post is about bias in the media, not McCain.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here’s what CBS has to actually say about it: CBS manuel—CBS NEWS STANDARDS….SEC111-5….EDITING:

Editing is essential to the practice of journalism. We must make every effort to ensure that our editing reflects fairly, honestly and without distortion what was seen and heard by our reporters and recorded by our cameras and microphones. The editing process requires careful news judgments geared to the individual facts of each situation.

Interviews are to be edited in a straightforward manner, preserving the sense of the interview. Even a short sound bite should accurately reflect the spirit of the entire interview. An answer may not be taken out of context if the result is to distort the original meaning. If a question to an interview subject is used, the answer must be to that specific question. The question and the answer may be edited, but not in a way that would distort the meaning of either. Answers to different questions may not be combined to give the impression of one continuous response. In short, we cannot create an answer merely because we wish the subject had said it better. </div></div>

McCain has made one gaffe after another. He doesn't know that Czechoslovakia ceased to exist in 1993, that [ despite his claims ]Iraq and Pakistan do not share a border and now he shows his ignorance of the war.
If the media was truly liberal, all these gaffes would be on Fox etc 24/7. Imagine if Obama made such a wrong statement and it was edited out. Fox would be playing it to death.
Liberal media? Not these days.

Q

sack316
07-23-2008, 11:05 PM
Q, just a question here, and you may have said so before. And I'm really asking and not being a smart ass here... but what of these channels do you get over there anyway? Like, do you guys have Fox News or CNN or whatever... or are you watching webcasts from their sites, or do you take snippets and such off of blogs or third party sites? Again, I'm not intending to be a smart ass, I'm really just curious.

Sack

pooltchr
07-24-2008, 04:24 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> link (http://www.crooksandliars.com/2008/07/23/thousands-of-gis-state-dept-workers-flock-to-obama-in-baghdad/)

Q </div></div>

And we all know that ABC has no agenda, right?

Steve

Qtec
07-24-2008, 05:13 AM
I get CNN and last year I had Fox news as well.
Two great websites are http://www.rawstory.com and http://www.crooksandliars.com. Both give you news that the mainstream ignores.

Q

eg8r
07-24-2008, 07:19 AM
When I said no one was for McCain, I thought you might have caught on that I was referring to those on this board.

As for your last paragraph you state, "If the media was truly liberal, all these gaffes would be on Fox etc 24/7", I think Fox would find this a compliment that you view their station as all media.

eg8r

eg8r
07-24-2008, 07:21 AM
So what Q is telling us is that he is just propogating info that someone is spoon feeding him. He has chosen websites to give him news that suit his bias.

eg8r

Bobbyrx
07-24-2008, 12:56 PM
How can you over look the fact that the anchors from all three major networks followed Obama to the Middle East and not McCain and the fact that Obama didn't have a press conference either in Afghanistan or Iraq. Instead Obama manufactured fake interviews with no journalists present.

DickLeonard
07-24-2008, 01:08 PM
Deeman can't we get Dick Cheney?####

Deeman3
07-24-2008, 01:42 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DickLeonard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Deeman can't we get Dick Cheney?#### </div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000">Dick,

I think his heart has pumped about all the oil it can. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </span>

wolfdancer
07-24-2008, 01:44 PM
you don't know Dick

Deeman3
07-24-2008, 01:57 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you don't know Dick </div></div>

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<span style="color: #FF0000">I don't know Dick. You forget, I was way out front on many of the tactics that the Republicans used early on.

Remember when I called for Gitmo Waterboarding to be an Olympic Sport?

And just who was first to call for using ground up polar bears as a fuel Source?

Who pledged to drill in graveyards for oil?

How about my early take on unwed mother smoking programs and abortion many years after conception?

Where were the others when my nuke all the Arab states sounded silly?

Did you not chide me for my free firearms for kindergardener's program?

Who else said, "Child Molesters should be exiled to Vermont?"

Don't try to tell me nuclear waste into the school lunch program was totally without merit!

I don't know Dick? Huh! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </span>