PDA

View Full Version : Meucci Cue Quality Question

Shaft
07-23-2008, 02:31 PM
I am about to buy my first nice cue (>$50). I like the Meucci butt designs. (I am still looking at several brands. If I get a Meucci, I plan to buy an extra Predator shaft so I can compare the Black dot with the Z2. At my level, I doubt I will see any difference, but I am going to splurge.)

The question is, how is Meucci quality? I understand they had some problems a few years ago, and some sites refuse to carry them, but a dealer (who happens to sell Meuccis, along with many other brands) tells me their quality is back up - now that the new plant is open and they have new labor.

I toured the plant in Byhalia, MS. and liked what I saw, but that's only the beginning of the story.

Anybody have any experience, good or bad? How recent is your experience?

Thanks!

MAC
07-23-2008, 03:36 PM
A guy on my APA team just bought one new, he didnt let the quality control factor bother him at all. He has only played with it a couple of times but he likes it better than his older Meucci as of now anyways.

1Time
07-23-2008, 03:53 PM
I had a ~$200 Meucci cue maybe 5 years ago that I really liked. The model was called Quantum. I tried a black dot shaft with it maybe 4 years ago and didn't like it. The black dot wasn't straight either. I don't know if it was that way when I bought it or it warped while I had it.

The only thing I would be concerned about with a Meucci butt is if it is straight. I doubt you'll want to add a new, straight shaft to it only to find the butt is not straight and the result is a cue that is not straight. Here's what I suggest you do. Check the Meucci butt for straightness. And, take it to a billiards store that will let you try a couple different shafts on it, and check these cues for straightness. Then buy these new shafts online from a business that lets you return the shaft(s) at no charge to you including shipping (in case you receive a shaft that is not straight). I forget the name of the online billards business that does this.

JJFSTAR
07-24-2008, 08:37 AM
My new student just bought a black dot and loves it.

solo9
07-24-2008, 10:10 AM
In all honesty I like Meucci cues, I have one from my dad when I first started to play back in the 70's but I never liked the deflection it had, I would tell your student to get a Predator Z2, it has awsome playing performance.

1Time
07-27-2008, 12:47 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: solo9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would tell your student to get a Predator Z2, it has awsome playing performance. </div></div>
For whom do you claim a Predator Z2 has awesome playing performance? You? Someone else? Everyone who tries it? Do you sell Predator Z2 shafts?