PDA

View Full Version : Would you ever break with a 314 or a Z shaft?

Shaft
07-23-2008, 02:38 PM
Is it safe to break with a hollowed-our Predator 314 or Z shaft? I know they make cues specific for breaking, but I wanted to know if anyone has ever broken/split the front 4 inches of a 314 or Z shaft on a break.

sack316
07-23-2008, 03:00 PM
I have used my 314 on the break numerous time with no problem. But in fairness, I tend to use a soft to medium speed break when I do. Then again, I've hit shots with it that had as much force as my normal break would anyway, and it's still in one piece. So I'd venture to say the shaft would be fine, I simply use my break stick because of the phenolic tip, and my 314 has a soft tip on it.

Sack

Deeman3
07-23-2008, 03:31 PM
In some of the small bar table tournaments I play in break sticks are not allowed so I break with my 314. I save my Schon shafts for big table play. While most of the games are 8 ball and I break fairly softly, I probably wound not break in 9 ball with it.

dg-in-centralpa
07-24-2008, 06:01 AM
I have a Predator that I bought in 1999, and that is my break stick. I break very hard and had no problems. I have a Moori tip on one shaft and a Le pro on the other.

DG

Rich R.
07-24-2008, 06:12 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shaft</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it safe to break with a hollowed-our Predator 314 or Z shaft? I know they make cues specific for breaking, but I wanted to know if anyone has ever broken/split the front 4 inches of a 314 or Z shaft on a break. </div></div>
IIRC, Predator shafts are guaranteed. If something happens to one, you can send it back to them for repair or replacement.
Break away.

BTW, I have never used a Predator shaft to break. I have tried them, but I wouldn't play with them either.

JJFSTAR
07-24-2008, 08:32 AM
I am sure it is safe but why would you want to? Those are dampening shafts designed to reduce deflection not give you a more powerful break. I suppose if you are solely a precision breaker you might want to but there arenít many of those around. I personally think a strait house cue would give you more oomph. Breaking with those just seems to go against the whole idea of what they are designed for.

JoeW
07-24-2008, 08:43 AM
I used a 314 to break with for about six months. I have a reasonable break and can bring 6-7 balls uptable on a 9' table in a game of 8-Ball. There were no problems with the cue. Later I learned it was hollowed out and have not used it for breaking.

I would not use my Z shaft to break because it is too delicate in my thinking.