PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Williams - Doing good promoting the sport

Harold Acosta
08-09-2002, 05:33 PM
[b]Charlie Williams is doing something great for the promotion of our Sport! I sincerely congratulate him on the efforts put forth for this event. He has organized the Coliseum Mall Peninsula 9-Ball Open and judging by the info posted at AZ Billiards.com, they have gone to great lengths at promoting this tournament as much as possible. Too bad that only 63 players showed up! Please read the info below:

<font color=blue>[b]
Coliseum Mall Peninsula 9-Ball Open
August 8 - 11, 2002
Hampton, VA

The Coliseum Mall Peninsula 9-Ball Open

The UPA kicks off with their first event at The Coliseum Mall Peninsula 9-Ball Open. Taking place inside a 122,000 sq.ft. venue inside the mall, this event has attracted many outside industry corporate sponsors such as Coke, Dairy Queen, Chevrolet, Radio Shcak, and Barnes &amp; Nobles. The city of Hampton, VA has also added support to the event and has made open statements of helping the event move to a bigger facility next year.

A strong campaign to promote the event included 3 local cable commercials running a month straight and going out to a million people in the Peninsula area, regional radio commercials, a hype article on the event as well as the flyer ad in the local newspaper. The event is also working hand in hand with the local APA league operators as well as local poolrooms in the area getting support from their members. Full page color ads have gone into 3 major billiard publications as well as ads and banners on various websites. The event is also associating itself with The Boys &amp; Girls Clubs of the VA Peninsula with many local celebrities and city dignitaries due to attend the event.

Founder and promoter of the event Charlie Williams has stated, " This is a historic event for pool as it will be inside a big mall with great sponsors. I'm trying to break the mold of old tournaments by trying new ideas. I think the players will appreciate the extra publicity the event will get and the promotions of the players themselves. Not to mention a players lounge and a player services staff to take care of the top UPA pros. I also got a lot of extras and new treats for the fans to make the event more memorable and exciting. The city has also been great with a lot of logistical help and seeds planted for next year's event. We have a lot of potentially big sponsors for my event and maybe for the tour, so this will be very important to not only myself but to the UPA and our sport."
<font color=green>

Tom_In_Cincy
08-09-2002, 05:40 PM
I just hope that CW and Barry Berhman can iron out their differences prior to the US Open. This is not good for the game of pool. Both parties have been quoted in BD in this months issue that there are positive signs of a happy ending.

Harold Acosta
08-10-2002, 04:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> I just hope that CW and Barry Berhman can iron out their differences prior to the US Open. This is not good for the game of pool. Both parties have been quoted in BD in this months issue that there are positive signs of a happy ending. <hr></blockquote>

Didn't know there was any problems between them. Thought they had ironed out everything at last year's Open.

Haven't received my BD for this month. Although I pay with US dollars my subscription, I'm treated like a third world citizen for delivery.

Oh, what the heck!

HarryDC
08-10-2002, 04:57 AM
Harold,

Barry Berhman couldn't come up with all the money guaranteed to the players last year.

In a separate incident he was also arrested for selling liquor without a license and to minors, also illegal gambling in his home.

I guess the open will be a UPA sanctioned event? I hope Mr. Berhman has all the money he is boasting this year? I know I won't support criminal activity of any kind and I don't support the US Open. I do support Charlie Williams and the UPA.

HarryDC

Harold Acosta
08-10-2002, 05:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: HarryDC:</font><hr> Harold,

Barry Berhman couldn't come up with all the money guaranteed to the players last year.

In a separate incident he was also arrested for selling liquor without a license and to minors, also illegal gambling in his home.

I guess the open will be a UPA sanctioned event? I hope Mr. Berhman has all the money he is boasting this year? I know I won't support criminal activity of any kind and I don't support the US Open. I do support Charlie Williams and the UPA.

HarryDC <hr></blockquote>

Harry, I knew about that (money shortage at Open and the arrests) but then Charlie and the guys continued the tournament, so somehow they straighten it out. Didn't know the feud continued.

Anyway, I would still support the Open but we'll have to see what the players think! We will know when the number of players are announced.

Jay M
08-10-2002, 07:01 AM
Harry,
According to the UPA membership newsletter, Brady has agreed to escrow the money for the purse and make a substantial payment to the players that earned money from last year. I believe that everything is straightened out now and the US Open will have the full support of the UPA and it's players.

Jay M

Tom_In_Cincy
08-10-2002, 07:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>I know I won't support criminal activity of any kind and I don't support the US Open. <hr></blockquote>

Harry,
Usually your posts on AZBilliards are informative and positive. Or, am I confusing you with someone else?

Mr. Berhman was cleared of all criminal charges.

Barry Berhman is making every effort to pay the players off from the 2001 US Open that suffered from very poor attendance because of the 9-11 tragedy.

The UPA is less than a year old, run by a 25 year old and the US Open is in its 27th straight year.

One less person at the US Open this year will mean someone that wants to be there will have a seat.

HarryDC
08-10-2002, 08:22 AM
Tom,

An astute person like you should know the difference between
having the charges dropped and being cleared of the charges.
Tom the charges were dropped.

As for the open there is always great pool for someone of good chracter like me to watch. In fact in about hour I am leaving this motel and walking across the street to the mall to watch the days play of the UPA players right here in Hampton.

As for my seat at the open you are welcome to it. Oh, don't worry about Charlie as with people like him pool may just have a chance.

HarryDC

HarryDC
08-10-2002, 08:26 AM
Jay M,

Thanks for the information. I am on the players side.

HarryDC

Tom_In_Cincy
08-10-2002, 08:39 AM
Harry,
Yes I know the difference. Good police work, bad police work. Enough evidence to make the charge stick, versus not enough.

Not enough evidence is still enough for you to condem the Berhmans.

I hope the UPA does do well, and makes pool grow.. I just don't see that CW and friends is doing anything different. Just new faces. same old, very old story.. "we are the champions, pay us to play"

HarryDC
08-10-2002, 02:09 PM
Tom,
I did not (condemn) anyone. I made a statement based on facts written in the Virginia Pilot Newspaper. Why a grand jury or a prosecutor chose not to prosecute would be pure speculation on my part. Maybe it was a political issue or the good old boy treatment? Who really knows?

My dear departed grandmother used to tell me, a very old story, about a person who lays down with dogs may just get up with flees. My choice is to error on the side of prudence when it comes to the people I choose to associated with so the US Open is not an option for me. Sorry!

The big news from here is that Corey Deuel forfeited, reason unknown, and Jim Wecth will play Mika Immonen in the next round.

HarryDC