PDA

View Full Version : Using a Phenolic tip ?

JWasson
07-24-2008, 09:39 AM
OK, ya'll can call me stupid or even a "hick" if you like. I'm getting back into playing pool again after a lengthy absence. I've been shooting again lately and my game is picking back up, but at 50 years old, it has been slow.
I just ordered one of the new Fury Jump/Break cues with a Phenolic tip. Haven't seen it yet and will not see it for a few months, until I am home on my next R&R as I'm in Iraq at the moment. I haven't seen any of these cues used at all.

My question is about the Phenolic tip. Do you use it as it is? Do you rough it up? some With sandpaper? Do you use chalk on it?

OK, I know there are some of you that think I am stupid, but actually, "ignorant" is the honest truth.
I ordered the cue and now I figure i probably should have some sort of idea what to do with it..
When I was shooting pool all the time (telling on my age), there was no such thing as a phenolic tip to my knowledge.

solo9
07-24-2008, 09:57 AM
You dont have to maintain these tips or even chalk them because they are made with little to no leather on them, you might miscue but if done right, you can break a rack like no other.

MAC
07-24-2008, 10:18 AM
I have one of the Fury J/B cues its ready to use as soon as you get it. I dont know if you use english on your breaks or not but you will have a heck of a time hitting the cueball without miscuing any where but the middle. It does not jump as easy for me as some friends cues I have tried but it kids the job done fairly easy.

KellyStick
07-25-2008, 11:09 AM
JWasson, I am also ignorant and am glad you asked the question.

I have been pondering the order of one of these cues myself. I have seen them mentioned on this site lately. In fact as I was logging in I was thinking about ordering one.

JWasson
07-25-2008, 11:23 AM
Well KellyStick, I feel better knowing I wasn't alone. I will say, I got some great honest answers in this tipic without anyone bashing me for my lack of knowledge. Thanks guys!

BigRigTom
07-26-2008, 11:16 PM
Can't say about the Fury except I have heard good things. I have a Scorpion and as I mentioned in another thread I replaced the hard LePro tip with a Phenolic tip and now my friend calls my BJ my Bazooka.
The cue is ONLY a small part of the equation of a great break. Way more important it the stroke, timing, stance, follow thru, focus and probably a lot of good luck (not to mention a tight rack).

But if you work at it a little you will LOVE that phenolic tip on your break cue.