PDA

View Full Version : Americans Don't Believe Bush, Industry ...

nAz
07-24-2008, 11:39 PM
Claims on Gas Prices, Poll Shows...

(I thought Americans did? well maybe the source is no good)

Last update: 2:31 p.m. EDT July 24, 2008
WASHINGTON, July 24, 2008 /PRNewswire-USNewswire via COMTEX/ -- Majority Says New Drilling Would Enrich Oil Companies Rather than Benefit Consumers, and 76 Percent Support New Technology Development Over Drilling
- The American public is not buying the arguments of President Bush and the oil industry that new drilling will lower gas prices, a new poll finds. Despite a well-funded campaign to convince lawmakers to open the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska and the offshore waters of the Outer Continental Shelf to drilling, and to allow new oil shale projects in the Rocky Mountain West, a majority (54%) of Americans do not see more drilling as a solution to high gas prices. Instead, the public overwhelmingly believes (76% to 19%) that policymakers should focus on investing in new energy technologies including renewable fuels and more efficient vehicles rather than expanding exploration and drilling for more oil. These findings were reported in a national poll conducted over the past week by Belden Russonello and Stewart, and released today.
A significant majority of Americans (63%) said that the President's proposal to open up public lands to oil and gas drilling is "more likely to enrich oil companies than to lower gas prices for American consumers." A substantial majority (66%) said that "the small percentage of public lands still protected from oil drilling should remain off limits because they are valuable natural resources that cannot be replaced."
When asked the question, "Do you think that allowing oil companies to drill in public lands and offshore areas that are currently off limits to drilling will result in lower gas prices for American consumers or not?", 54% of poll respondents said they did not believe more drilling would lower gas prices. Although Americans were initially divided on a general question of opening protected public lands and offshore areas to drilling, with a slight majority (53%) in favor, and 41% opposed, the poll found that support for drilling weakened significantly when those polled were presented with other energy policy options. When asked the question: "Looking to the future, which one of the following do you think should be a more important priority for government: Investing in new energy technology including renewable fuels and more efficient automobiles, or expanding exploration and drilling for more oil?", more than three-quarters (76%) of respondents favored new technology and renewables, and only a small number (19%) favored expanded oil drilling.
The poll, conducted by Washington, D.C., research firm Belden Russonello & Stewart, was a nationally representative telephone survey of 821 adults between July 16 and 20, 2008. The margin of sampling error is +/- 3.5 percentage points at a 95% confidence level. A copy of the complete survey is here:
http://wilderness.org/Library/Documents/upload/BRS-Omnibus-Poll_07-22-08.pdf
SOURCE The Wilderness Society

http://wilderness.org

Copyright (C) 2008 PR Newswire. All rights reserved End of Story
Comtex

LWW
07-25-2008, 02:25 AM
The American people have had the MSM beat into their heads for a generation that capitalism and business are inherently EEEVILLL while the public schools have basically abandoned teaching economics ... so, why should this come as a surprise?

LWW

pooltchr
07-25-2008, 04:21 AM
Just shows how polls can be manipulated to get a different response. I heard one the other day that had over 70% of the public thinks we should explore all options, including drilling offshore and in ANWR.

If the Dems, win the white house in Nov, I'm betting the ban of offshore drilling gets lifted, and that the price of gas suddenly starts to back down. I think between $3 and $3.50 will be the bottom. I'm still paying $3.95 here. It's gone down about .04 or about 1% while oil has dropped about $20 or about 10%. Hmmmm????

Steve

LWW
07-25-2008, 06:14 AM
You might be right in that it will be taxed to keep the price high.

A secular muslim friend of mine told me once the reason, from an Arabic POV, why fuel prices skyrocketed under B-B-B-BOOOOSH! after the 2006 elections and his reason was that they knew they could do it and get away with it because there was no way congress would allow B-B-B-BOOOOSH! to open up ANWR and offshore drilling and that they would attempt to use it as a political weapon in 2008.

LWW

Qtec
07-25-2008, 07:14 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bush's Weak Dollar

America’s working families have been squeezed for most of this decade by stagnant wages and diminishing health and retirement benefits. Now they face new economic pressures from rising gasoline, food, heating, and electricity prices. A portion of those higher costs are directly attributable to the weakening of the dollar and the economic policies that have produced a weak dollar.

Since January 2000, the dollar has fallen by 37 percent against the euro, with nearly two-thirds of that decline occurring since January 2006. The dollar has fallen 31 percent against the Canadian dollar, and 17 percent against the British pound.

The fall of the dollar has affected oil prices in two specific ways. First, as the dollar falls against the euro and other major currencies, oil-exporting states have been demanding more dollars per barrel of oil to protect their ability to meet expenses paid in euros and other currencies.

This can be most clearly seen in the price of oil (the spot price for Saudi light crude) as measured in U.S. dollars and euros during the first four years of the current Bush administration. As the dollar weakened, the dollar price of oil increased proportionately.

Measured in dollars, oil cost about 28 percent more on average in 2004 than it had cost in 2000, but the price remained relatively constant if measured in euros. In fact, Europeans were actually paying about 8 percent less for oil in 2004 than they had paid in 2000. </div></div>

America is paying 4x as much for oil these days but the Euros aren't. They are paying more but not as much as the USA.
GW is running a deficit and has increased the Nat Debt by almost 6 trillion! and there are consequences for that. The rest of the world can't continue to afford to finance US spending.

Q

Deeman3
07-25-2008, 07:25 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> </div></div>

America is paying 4x as much for oil these days but the Euros aren't. They are paying more but not as much as the USA. <span style="color: #FF0000"> Q, In terms of costs per gallon, I believe that Europe is still paying more than we are for gas/oil. Relative to what we used topay, I think you are correct.</span>

The rest of the world can't continue to afford to finance US spending. <span style="color: #FF0000"> How is the rest of the world suffering to finance our spending? The devaluation of our currency is just a trasfer of wealth to other countries, maybe not Holland, but we suffer from the devaluation, not you. If some have lost money on investment in the dollar, well, too bad. You should have bought the Chinese Won instead.

If you are talking about outr conspicuous consumption of oil, you may be right but, after all, oil is a bad thing and you guys don't really need it anyway with the alterntives you employ, right?

I think we all, deep down, know higher oil prices are, long term, here to stay and a bit needed to drive us to conserve more and find alternatives. </span>

Q [/quote]

DickLeonard
07-25-2008, 08:16 AM
lww BBBBBOOOOSSSSSHHHH,CCCCHHHHHEEEENNNYYY are OIL Thieves. Its about time Americans woke up.

The Presidents of Major Oil Companies make 50,000,000 a year and the President makes two hundred fifty thousand, anybody see what is wrong with this picture. The one way to increase their 401Ks is to fatten up the oil companies. They will be glad to open accounts in their name at off-shore banks.

Bush put no money up in Harken Oil and after driving the stock price in the Gutter, bailed out and walked away with 800,000 cash, leaving the stock holders broke. So he has a record of taking sommething for nothing.

Cheneys Co. Haliburton moved its headquarters out of the US. So it won't have to report Cheney's kickbacks. Haliburton Construction Cb. has the worst record in that business but we are still fattening them up.####

Qtec
07-26-2008, 09:44 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[quote=Qtec]America is paying 4x as much for oil these days but the Euros aren't. They are paying more but not as much as the USA. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <span style="color: #FF0000"> Q, In terms of costs per gallon, I believe that Europe is still paying more than we are for gas/oil. Relative to what we used to pay, I think you are correct.</span></div></div>

I,m talking about crude oil, not the price at the pumps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The rest of the world can't continue to afford to finance US spending. <span style="color: #FF0000"> How is the rest of the world suffering to finance our spending? </span> </div></div>

Here is a short video that explains how the rest of the world pays for the US debt. Its from a Dutch documentary called "de dag dat de dollar valt'[ the day the dollar fell]
video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VoeZD546Y4) You can find the whole doc here. third down on the right (http://www.hollanddoc.nl/dossiers/39626811/)

Simply put, if you spend more than you earn you have to borrow someone else's money to do it.

Q

wolfdancer
07-27-2008, 07:30 PM
I don't see your post as addressing the point of the original post.
You are trying, to lump the oil industry and it's well known connections to BBBUUUSSSHHH, to something far greater.....might work for you.... to explain away the problem, but not for most of the rest of us.
AND then trying to blame MSM and now the public schools....WTF ?
You are a Scientologist, correct? and believe L. Ron is out there on his little spaceship, waiting for the right time to return to earth? Or are you just brainwashed?

Qtec
07-27-2008, 08:19 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't see your post as addressing the point of the original post.
You are trying, to lump the oil industry and it's well known connections to BBBUUUSSSHHH, to something far greater.....might work for you.... to explain away the problem, but not for most of the rest of us.
AND then trying to blame MSM and now the public schools....WTF ?
You are a Scientologist, correct? and believe L. Ron is out there on his little spaceship, waiting for the right time to return to earth? Or are you just brainwashed?
</div></div>

LOL.

Q.............under the GW Admin the Nat Debt has doubled , the country is running a deficit, the housing market is collapsing, the US pays 4 times as much for oil than under the Clinton Admin, the Dollar has devalued by 37%, Katrina, the DOJ scandal, the corrupt prosecution of Don Siegelman, the spying, the torture, the kidnappings, invading a country that was not a threat to the USA [ and may cost 3 trillion $] , etc etc etc ....and its all apparently the Dems/Liberal's fault!
Wow. LWW is either a genius or an idiot.