PDA

View Full Version : Jumping the ball with a standard Cue

KellyStick
07-25-2008, 11:18 AM
Does anyone have advice for jumping the ball with a standard cue? I had a guy try to sell me a jump cue once. He showed my how to use it and my buddy and me both jumped balls instantly with seeming ease. Then I thought I should be able to do nearly the same with a standard cue but got nothing. In APA jump cues are not allowed so it sure would be useful at times to be able to jump with my standard cue. I don't own a jump cue as yet but may in the near future.

MAC
07-25-2008, 12:41 PM
The way I do it is hold the cue like I am going to throw it like a spear, seems to be the only way I can get results. This also happens to be the way I hold my jump cue also, I could be all wrong but thats how it works for me anyway.

Deeman3
07-25-2008, 12:48 PM
With the heavier playing cue you just have to hit firmer but don't expect the cue ball to get up near as quickly or go as far with a normal cue. That was all we had to jump with in the old days and, as a result, jump shots were much less commmon.

MAC
07-25-2008, 12:57 PM
Thanks for that bit of info Deeman, I try to avoid jump shots all together for the most part so I was pretty sure I wasnt doing it right haha.

Deeman3
07-25-2008, 01:27 PM
MAC,

You probably are better off using a full cue for jumping over partial balls which comes up more than you would think. In a lot of cases, you just have to hop over a very small edge to clear it. In those cases the standard cue is quite accurate.

MAC
07-25-2008, 02:28 PM
Yeah I can usually clear a full ball no problem hitting what Im aiming at on the other hand is something completely different /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Bambu
07-26-2008, 08:26 AM
Well said, Dee. Those small edge jump shots come up more often than many realize. A light house cue can make it easier, especially one with a hard tip. As for full jumps, I never tried that in a bar(mostly because the tables are too small). Shaft jumping would be better for the little hop jumps. The ball would stay on the table easier, but thats probably illegal anyway.

mike60
07-27-2008, 01:05 PM
Earl Strickland always uses his regular cue for jumps.

michaelsixty

1Time
07-28-2008, 02:18 PM
I have not found the shooting cues that I've used to be equally up to the task of jumping, some a little worse than others. And, I've found some house cues to jump satisfactorily and better than my shooting cues. The kind of tip used on a cue likely factors into this as well and for the same reason a jump cue has a specialized tip. The weight and size of the cue ball can largely affect jumping.

I think the ideal would be to have a shooting cue that works well for the player with many jump shots and to have a jump cue for more extreme jumps. That said, with a capable cue, I'm quite satisfied with my ability to jump balls and partial balls, while pocketing a ball and applying the desired spin on the cue ball. In my experience, being able to what I want while jumping has A LOT to do with the cue and cue tip used. And so it seems an inexperienced player can more easily learn to jump with a much more capable cue than an experienced player can jump with a much less capable cue. In other words to a large degree it's the arrow and not the archer.

Bambu
07-29-2008, 10:44 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mike60</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Earl Strickland always uses his regular cue for jumps.

michaelsixty</div></div>

I read here on bd somewhere, that earl used his break cue to jump in a tournament once. He said he used it because of the plastic tip. Me, I never liked the small jumpers much anyway. So when I read that, I tried my break cue to jump and never looked back. I'm still not the greatest at full ball jumping, but I do it if I have to.

jondrums
07-31-2008, 05:19 PM
if you find you want to get a break/jump cue, those J&J cheapos are actually really nice. An excellent value. I'm not that great of a player, and even so, rarely practice jumps because after the first day of messing around, I found I could jump full balls fine with mine. It jumps ok without removing the back part of the handle if your league's rules require that.

The trick for me has been to constantly remind myself that I need to really accelerate the cue into the ball - almost like throwing the cue like a spear into the ball.

Bambu
08-02-2008, 11:09 AM
Thanks jon, but I do have a predator air jump cue. Its just that by using a full length cue for 9 ball, I get more speed and luck after a hit. The balls separate farther too. I usually only go for a break cue jump shot if the kick or masse looks like too low a percentage. The little jumper for me is usually only used as a last resort, for close jumps more than half a ball.

clarkhillfitness
08-04-2008, 11:00 PM
I always used regular cues too for jump shots.

http://www.clarkhillfitness.com

dr_dave
08-07-2008, 12:23 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KellyStick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone have advice for jumping the ball with a standard cue? I had a guy try to sell me a jump cue once. He showed my how to use it and my buddy and me both jumped balls instantly with seeming ease. Then I thought I should be able to do nearly the same with a standard cue but got nothing. In APA jump cues are not allowed so it sure would be useful at times to be able to jump with my standard cue. I don't own a jump cue as yet but may in the near future. </div></div>FYI, there are some video demonstrations and technique advice here:

http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads/jump.html#technique

Regards,
Dave

wolfdancer
08-07-2008, 01:34 PM
My own trick for jumping with a reg cue....was to pick out a 17 oz house cue from the rack. Worked fairly well...

Deeman3
08-07-2008, 01:35 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KellyStick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone have advice for jumping the ball with a standard cue? </div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000">Yes, don't try it with anything else when you play Earl. He'll tell you to "be a man". LOL

First time I heard him say that I laughed out loud. Next time I heard it, he said it to me and I took it a whole different way. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif</span>