PDA

View Full Version : Jump Cues and Pro Tournaments

rackmup
08-09-2002, 09:41 PM
I was bangin' some 9-ball tonight with a guy at CLICK'S in Arlington and upon seeing me use the JC on a few shots, he commented that "he never uses one because they are not allowed in the Pro tourneys" he plays in.

He specifically mentioned the new UPA Tour and the Joss tour as well as saying the Pro tournaments we see on ESPN do not allow them. Is this true?

I know the BCA allows them if they meet minimum length requirements (my opponent says that is true "only in Vegas"), I also know the APA (yes...amateur league) prohibits them and other amateur leagues that I play in allow them.

Anyone know the first-hand scoop on JC's in the Pro gigs? (Joss tour, Predator tour, UPA tour, WPBA tour, etc.)

Regards,

Ken

Sid_Vicious
08-09-2002, 10:30 PM
Since the men's pro tour is near non existent on TV I don't have them to sample from, but I distinctly and clearly remember nearly a double hand full of times when the WPBA events purposely halted briefly so a player could retrieve their jumper and then make a jump. I would have had to have seen EVERY one only as a BCA event in Vegas as you depict the legality issue, and that does not seem feasable to me to have seen such a number of televised BCA jumps from the sample of TV matches we get to see on ESPN. I'd say that this(illegality of jc) is unique to some, but not the bulk of professional tours. Of course this could be a brand new direction in rules, in which case I'll have two extra pieces of wood to throw on the fire next winter....sid

WaltVA
08-09-2002, 11:19 PM
JC's are definently legal in the UPA 9-ball tourney going on this week in Virginia.

Walt in VA

Doctor_D
08-10-2002, 12:02 AM
Good morning:

The WPBA, on the professional circuit as well as the Regional Tours, does allow Jump Cues.

Dr. D.

08-19-2002, 02:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: rackmup:</font><hr> I also know the APA (yes...amateur league) prohibits them <hr></blockquote>

Actually, unless they have changed the rules since the last time I played APA league, they are legal, you just have to use it as your playing cue. Therefore, a jump/break cue that you shoot with is acceptable, as long as it is also the cue you are shooting with.

08-19-2002, 02:47 PM
Though it pains me to say it, jump cues are becoming legal in more of the various tours.

The tri-state tour, in the northeast, is now allowing them. Far as I can tell, it's solely because Bunjee is becoming a sponsor... so the money's talking, I suppose.

The only holdout I know of is the Joss Tour, and bless its soul.

- Steve

08-19-2002, 03:00 PM
Just about every pro tourny of ESPN I can remember seeing does allow them. I have seen them used in a number of WPBA events. And they are allowed in the Tournament of Champions. Chao Fong-Pang used one to pull out an incredible game-winning/match-winning/tournament-winning shot in the last rack.