PDA

View Full Version : What a surprise!

Qtec
07-26-2008, 09:03 PM
link (http://thinkprogress.org/2008/07/26/mcclellan-fox-talking-points/)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On MSNBC’s Hardball last night, host Chris Matthews asked former White House Press Secretary Scott McClellan if he saw “FOX television as a tool” to get the White House’s “message out” while he was in the Bush administration. “Certainly there were commentators and other, pundits at FOX News, that were useful to the White House,” replied McClellan, adding that they were given “talking points.”

Making a distinction between journalists like Brit Hume and commentators like Sean Hannity and Bill O’Reilly, McClellan admitted that “certainly” the White House used Fox News talking heads as “spokespeople” with “a script”:

MATTHEWS: So, you wouldn’t use Brit Hume to sell stuff for them, but you’d use some of the nighttime guys?

MCCLELLAN: Yeah, I would separate that out, and certainly I, you know, they’ll say, that’s because they agree with those views in the White House.

MATTHEWS: Well, they didn’t need a script though, did they?

MCCLELLAN: No, well, probably not.

McClellan later told MSNBC’s Keith Olbermann that “it was done frequently, especially on high-profile issues” and that Fox often gave the White House “its desired results.” Current Press Secretary Dana Perino would only tell Olbermann, “I’m not aware of that.”

Fox News’s close relationship to the Bush administration should come as no surprise to anyone, considering Fox’s Neil Cavuto once ran a segment asking if George W. Bush was “the best President.” But, as Olbermann notes, it “is one of those things you assumed to be true all along, yet you are shocked when the hard confirmation actually shows up on your door.” </div></div>

Its officail. Hannity and Bill O are not journalists. They have no interest in the truth or being objective. They are simply whores/hired mouthpieces who are more than willing to spread Govt propagana for a buck.

Q

Fair and balanced! LOL

Q

Wally_in_Cincy
07-27-2008, 08:04 PM
Chris Matthews said when he heard Obama speak he "got a tingle up his leg." You should take what he says with a grain of salt.

sack316
07-27-2008, 08:33 PM
and Matthews, Olbermann, and the like surely volunteer their time and work for free fully expressing their own 100% original thought?

Really, a left pundit finding a way to take shots at right pundits? The sarcasm in the title of this thread truly is quite accurate.

Oh, and Q nowhere in that article was anything said about gov't money being taken to push these agendas as your final statement seems to imply. But good to see you read through all those comments below the article to help formulate your opinion on the matter, though.

Sack

Qtec
07-27-2008, 08:35 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wally_in_Cincy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chris Matthews said when he heard Obama speak he "got a tingle up his leg." You should take what he says with a grain of salt. </div></div>

I went to a Dire Straits open air concert and my whole body tingled. So?
Has anyone's leg ever tingled at a speech by GW?
I think not- the guy can barely speak English or read a Q card.

Wall St got drunk (http://www.swamppolitics.com/news/politics/blog/2008/07/bush_wall_streets_hangover.html)

What really happened was that fraud was coommitted on a massive scale and they were assisted by the Govt. The fact that GW makes a joke about the housing crisis shows him in his true light.

Q
Q

wolfdancer
07-28-2008, 01:32 AM
Aren't the real main points in that post...McCellan's answers, and not who asked the questions.?
Wouldn't the answers be the same if the Fox crew had asked them?
Q's conclusions are his own, but not unreasonable.....imo

hondo
07-28-2008, 05:55 AM
Has anyone's leg ever tingled at a speech by GW?

I shit myself once.

DickLeonard
07-28-2008, 06:37 AM
Wally my granddaughter heard Obama speak at the 2004 Democratic Convention at age 14 and she was enthralled too. Her take on Obama was he was one great public speaker.

Her favorite is GWB when he takes his foot out of his mouth and inserts his other foot. He does manage to get oohha right. ####

DickLeonard
07-28-2008, 06:44 AM
Hondo I wonder what David Letterman will do without GWB to humiliate.

Hondo I forgot he is going to be giving Speechs for the Big Bucks like Bill Clinton. I guess he will have to pick on whoever hired him. More laughs than a barrel of monkeys.####

eg8r
07-28-2008, 07:53 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Really, a left pundit finding a way to take shots at right pundits? The sarcasm in the title of this thread truly is quite accurate.</div></div>This is all Q has. He will jump on anything and believe it till the end, true or not, if it suits his agenda.

eg8r

sack316
07-28-2008, 10:30 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Aren't the real main points in that post...McCellan's answers, and not who asked the questions.?
Q's conclusions are his own, but not unreasonable.....imo </div></div>

OK, even if I'll grant that then... did anyone happen to watch the actual video the article is based on? Conveniently omitted from the written portion is McClellan saying "well certainly I think that happens both ways as well, when people go on other networks as well. That are uhh, favorable to democrats and so forth" "I think everybody in this town uses people that are gonna be helpful to their cause to shape the narrative to their advantage". And "I would seperate the journalists, just like the rest of the white house press corp who were trying to report the news..." cut off.

Also lost in text when Matthews says "Nobody feeds me any of that crap" is McClellans shit eating grin on his face when responding "well I think you're an independent minded guy". He looked really sincere while making that statement.

And nah, I doubt the answers would have been the exact same had fox news been asking the questions... as the interviewer would have likely allowed the statements and conversation to shift more the direction they wanted, much as Matthews did here. i.e. when McClellan said everyone in that town does that, Matthews pushed the focus back on the White House (as what his intent in that interview) whereas FN would have pushed towards who everybody is (as their agenda would have been the other way).

But I think I get it. The problem with Fox News is claiming to be fair and balanced... whereas the networks such as MSNBC don't even attempt to give such an illusion as to where they stand.

So indeed hondo, the main points are in what McClellan said, but I woulda liked for him to be allowed to finish one of his sentences sometime also. As is the importance in everything he said, not just the part that suits one agenda. And perhaps a take on the interview from a site that's not thinkprogress (?)

And yes, reading through all the user comments below the article, I can absolutely tell all of Q's conclusions were his own.

Sack

sack316
07-30-2008, 02:04 AM
Not to revive this seemingly dead thread (did my last post do it?), but I heard rumors that Chris Matthews recieved an anonymous gift recently... a monogrammed pair of kneepads. Apparently they are quite soft and cushy, the only problem seems the initials on them are "BHO". Hmmm... I dunno. I don't start the rumors, I just do all I can to spread them and make them sound factual /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I'd link to this as "proof" but haven't finished writing the java code for it yet... damn, told on myself.

Sack--- worked a long day and feels quite evil

sack316
07-30-2008, 02:40 AM
oh, and on another note... McClellan took that original thing back on Bill O's radio program.

"The truth is I messed up. I was specifically not trying to single anyone out, including you. But the way a couple of the questions were phrased in that interview along with my response left things open to interpretation and I should not have let that happen. ... I understand why you got upset. ... You're the Big Kahuna at Fox News, and some people tried to paint in a black and white term through a preconceived notion."

"There were people, not you, but there were people."

hmm, sounds a little like what I was saying earlier. At any rate, yes or no, no matter what... this guy should not do an interview with anyone anymore. He gets smacked around and manipulated so easily I don't think he even knows what he believes or says.

LA Times (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/presidentbush/2008/07/scott-mcclellan.html)

Huffington via ThinkProgress... to keep it balanced (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/07/29/bill-oreilly-takes-on-sco_n_115601.html)

Sack

LWW
07-30-2008, 03:26 AM
Well, Scott McClellan has now apologized to Bill O'Reilly for telling such a lie.

What a surprise.

I fully expect that our honorable leftist brethren will be posting their apologies for rushing to judgement soon.

LWW

eg8r
07-30-2008, 07:57 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, Scott McClellan has now apologized to Bill O'Reilly for telling such a lie.

What a surprise.

I fully expect that our honorable leftist brethren will be posting their apologies for rushing to judgement soon.</div></div>I honestly think you are rushing to judgement on this "apology" too soon. Don't you think it is more plausible that this guy just says whatever he thinks the interviewer wants to hear? It is alwasy easier to ask for forgiveness...

eg8r

LWW
07-30-2008, 09:30 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, Scott McClellan has now apologized to Bill O'Reilly for telling such a lie.

What a surprise.

I fully expect that our honorable leftist brethren will be posting their apologies for rushing to judgement soon.</div></div>I honestly think you are rushing to judgement on this "apology" too soon. Don't you think it is more plausible that this guy just says whatever he thinks the interviewer wants to hear? It is alwasy easier to ask for forgiveness...

eg8r </div></div>
I would agree with that also, but O'Reilly would have never came out like that unless he knew it couldn't be backed up.

LWW

sack316
07-30-2008, 10:22 AM
yeah, O'Reilly tore into him pretty good! He called him a liar among other things. When McClellan came on and asked Bill if he wanted to apologize for calling him a liar, he told him no because he IS a liar. lol. And then he laughed about it on his TV show.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Aren't the real main points in that post...McCellan's answers, and not who asked the questions.?
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
And nah, I doubt the answers would have been the exact same had fox news been asking the questions...
</div></div>

Hate to say I told ya so, but... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sack--- wonders where Q went to on this thread

Deeman3
07-30-2008, 12:12 PM
Is it just me or the more they tear into Fox, weather justified or not, usually, like this, not; the viewership on Fox just gets higher?

I know there are a few good journalists out there not on Fox and a few on Fox that are over the top. Why do they keep beating the snot out of the liberal outlets?

Also, in seeing that the unpopular BUsh is now at below 30% approval but the Senate and House is at 9%, how who is still thinking the legislature is doing a good job? Where are these 9%. The simple answer can't be Southern California and Vermont. Nancy Pelosi was practically chased off the air today, on NPR! I know she doesn't play well on Fox but when the liberals on NPR list 25 things they are dissapointed in you for, it has to be very bad.

LWW
07-30-2008, 12:47 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know there are a few good journalists out there not on Fox and a few on Fox that are over the top. Why do they keep beating the snot out of the liberal outlets?</div></div>
Because modern liberalism is a fairy tale that does not stand up to the scrutiny of reality.

Well intended as it often is, modern liberalism is the ultimate Rube Goldberg plan that, no matter how good it looks on paper, has no chance in reality. Marxism is the ultimate example.

"FROM EACH ACCORDING TO THEIR ABILITIES, TO EACH ACCORDING TO THEIR NEEDS!" No more beautiful idea has ever sprang from the mind of man ... and it's an absolute delusional fantasy that rests it's entire case on the idea that people are perfectly good. If this were the case we would not need govt and utopia would be ours. Instead marxism, every time it's been attempted, has always rapidly devolved into a dystopian Hell on Earth.

LWW

eg8r
07-30-2008, 01:56 PM
Pelosi is one gigantic bust. Her first 100 hours were pitiful and she has continued in the same manner ever since.

eg8r

pooltchr
07-30-2008, 06:55 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[
Because modern liberalism is a fairy tale that does not stand up to the scrutiny of reality.

LWW </div></div>

As long as there are people who still buy into the idea that they can become fantastically rich in multi-level-marketing, there will be those foolish enough to buy into modern liberalism.

Anyone want to go to an AMWAY meeting next week???

Steve

LWW
07-30-2008, 07:20 PM
Well, in her defense, she's been busy trying to save the planet. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

LWW

Deeman3
07-31-2008, 07:35 AM
I am seriouly considering becoming a stalker of Megan Kelley on Fox. I am lobbying to get her in Greta's time slot. Smart, attractive and does not have a Shawn Hannity complex. I don't know where they get all these gals but CNN is sure not fishing in the same tallent pool. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

sack316
07-31-2008, 10:12 AM
oooh, indeed deeman. If Fox can just find a way to lure Robin Meade over that way too...

Sack