PDA

View Full Version : 2008 VA State 9 Ball Championships

JMD in VA
07-28-2008, 01:01 AM
It was a great tournament! I feel it was the toughest field yet. I knew it was going to be exciting when in the first round the defending champion, Larry Kressel had to take on one of the favorites to win, Matt Clatterbuck, in the first round! The match went hill-hill and Kressel came out on top. 2 matches later, Kressel played Chris Futrell from VA Beach. The match went hill-hill. Kressel fell short on the case 9 ball, played a good long distance safe and lost when Futrell banked the 9 the length of the table into the back of the pocket.

Shuff played flawlessly all weekend and without care until he ran into Eric Moore on Sunday in the final four in the winner's side matches. He would win this match but would see Moore again later. Shuff had the momentum going into the match and had it until rack 6 when he missed a 7 ball he hit too firm and it jarred the pocket, alllowing Moore back in the set. This miss, along with Shuff's break faltering and Moore's break working, lead to Moore's 11-8 win.

I would like to thank my sponsor's for the help this year:

Inside Pool Magazine
The Playing Field, Richmond, VA
Parrot Cues
Accent Gutter Systems

The others that played a big part in the success in this event that I would like to thank are:

Brian Keller (Brian in VA) - The trophies and reffing the finals
Rich R and Cathy - The pics and the bracket help
Kevin Usery - The Electronic equiptment and work
Jim Joyner - The shirts fpr this year's tournament and every tournament

A special moment this weekend was when, Amy Foster, became the first female player to play in the VA State 9 Ball Championships. She did well and I am so proud of her.

Thanks to all my old friends for coming to Richmond and it was my pleasure meeting and getting to know my new friends this weekend.

See you all next year!

Joshua M. Dickerson
VA State 9 Ball Championships
Tournament Promoter & Director

Eric.
07-28-2008, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the write up, Josh. Anymore stories?

I believe the winner gets paid entry into the US Open, in Chesapeake, VA, right? Speaking of which, it's almost that time again...

Eric

Eric.
07-28-2008, 01:20 PM
I found this:

Moore Fights Back to Take Virginia State Billiards Championship

July 27, 2008 ·

Moore Fights Back to Take Virginia State Billiards Championship
Virginia State 9-Ball Championship / Richmond, VA

by Skip Maloney
VA State 9-Ball Championship

VA State 9-Ball Championship

Eric Moore fought back from a defeat by Brandon Shuff among the winners’ side final four to return the favor and defeat Shuff in the finals of the Virginia State 9-Ball Championship the weekend of July 26-27. The U.S.Open qualifier event, sponsored by InsidePool Magazine, drew a full field of 64 entrants to The Playing Field in Richmond.

As Shuff was busy dispatching Moore 9-6 to the one-loss side of the bracket the first time they met, David Alley was sending Greg Ferguson over with a 9-2 victory. Shuff then sent Alley to the semifinals with a 9-5 win that put left him in the hot seat.

On the one-loss side, Mike Glenn and Chris Adams closed out matches against David Hunt and Chris Futrell by sinking the 9-ball on their final respective breaks. Alan Duty and Cary Dunn, in the meantime, were dropping David White and Ray Jon Carmona into ninth place. Glenn and Adams advanced to pick up Moore and Ferguson from the winners’ side, with Glenn and Moore advancing to the quarterfinals with identical 9-2 scores. Moore dropped Glenn 9-7 and faced David Alley in the semifinals. In another tight match, Moored concluded Alley’s tournament run 9-6 and moved against the player who’d defeated him earlier in the day.

Momentum in the early going of the final was with Shuff as he jumped out to a 4-1 lead. Moore battled to take the next two, Shuff won the next, and Moore came back to make it 6-5. They fought back and forth to an 8-8 tie that was broken when Moore won the final three games.

Results:
1st Eric Moore
2nd Brandon Shuff
3rd David Alley
4th Mike Glenn
5th Greg Ferguson
Chris Adams
7th Cary Dunn
Alan Duty
9th Ray Jon Carmona
David White
Chris Futrell
David Hunt

Scott Lee
07-29-2008, 02:02 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JMD in VA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A special moment this weekend was when, Amy Foster, became the first female player to play in the VA State 9 Ball Championships. She did well and I am so proud of her.

Joshua M. Dickerson
VA State 9 Ball Championships
Tournament Promoter & Director </div></div>

Josh...Congrats on another great event! I'm sure Amy's confidence was bouyed by her pool school experience! Congrats to her too! How come Falon didn't play?

Scott Lee