PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have old Accustat tapes would like on DVD?

Eric.
07-28-2008, 09:22 AM
I got this email from Accustats:

You already have some of these matches in VHS - but would now prefer DVD? No problem!

With our new "Upgrade Program" you simply tell us which ones you already own (no need to return them - we'll simply check our records) and which ones you would like to "Upgrade".

The price for each "Upgraded" DVD is only $6.00 instead of $26.00 (plus shipping of course).

VERY IMPORTANT - You HAVE to tell us which DVD's are "Upgrades".

Thanks for all your support.
Accu-Stats

If you have any questions on how the "Upgrade Program" can apply to other VHS tapes you already own, please call us at 800-828-0397 or e-mail us at:
mailto:jim@accu-stats.com?subject=Upgrade Program Questions

Eric

SpiderMan
07-29-2008, 03:54 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got this email from Accustats:

You already have some of these matches in VHS - but would now prefer DVD? No problem!

With our new "Upgrade Program" you simply tell us which ones you already own (no need to return them - we'll simply check our records) and which ones you would like to "Upgrade".

The price for each "Upgraded" DVD is only $6.00 instead of $26.00 (plus shipping of course).

VERY IMPORTANT - You HAVE to tell us which DVD's are "Upgrades".

Thanks for all your support.
Accu-Stats

If you have any questions on how the "Upgrade Program" can apply to other VHS tapes you already own, please call us at 800-828-0397 or e-mail us at:
mailto:jim@accu-stats.com?subject=Upgrade Program Questions

Eric </div></div>

I believe that if you already own the material, you are within legal "fair use" guidelines if you want to make your own backup copy. I'm doing exactly that with my entire VHS movie library (about 500 tapes), a little at a time. When I watch a movie for the first time, I simultaneously dub it to DVD so that I don't have to play the tape again unless my DVD gets damaged. Then I'll play the tape just one more time, and make a replacement DVD.

Tapes are too prone to wearout, and to being "eaten" by VCRs. It makes sense to back up your investment if you have the equipment. My personal position is that I paid a lot of money for my VHS library, and I won't risk not having a backup. Nor will I pay twice for the same material, re-buying another original on DVD. If I had to pay $6 a pop, it would cost $3,000 to back up movies I've already bought. I like the idea of $85 a lot better (a blank DVD only costs 17 cents now).

Same goes for my music library - as soon as I get a new CD, I back it up to 160 KBPS MP3 on my hard drive, and that's what I listen to. The CD gets archived for safekeeping.

If you paid for the original material, you should make a backup. That's my interpretation of "fair use". Of course, you can't sell your backup copies on Ebay to someone who didn't buy the original. That would be piracy.

SpiderMan

Eric.
07-30-2008, 08:50 AM
Maybe I shouldnt be so lazy and buy on of those VHS/DVD recorders, lol!

Eric

SpiderMan
07-30-2008, 11:49 AM
I'd recommend getting one of the standalone DVD recorders. Panasonic makes some very good ones. Most of the DVD/VHS combo units are lacking in features and control on the the DVD-record side.

Look for one of the units that has a custom quality function. Ask to see the user's manual before you buy.

That's where you specify the length of the material to be recorded, and it adjusts compression/bitrate so that it just fills the DVD. This will give you much better picture quality than one of the combo units that only lets you select from about 4 quality/time levels. On those, you invariably wind up with unused space on your DVD, and overcompressed video with it's associated loss of quality.

SpiderMan

Eric.
07-30-2008, 12:35 PM
Good stuff, thanks for the tips, man.

Eric

eg8r
08-04-2008, 03:42 PM
This is a pretty awesome deal. I don't personally want to sit around and wait for all my old movies to copy over. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Thanks for the heads up.

eg8r

SpiderMan
08-07-2008, 11:41 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't personally want to sit around and wait for all my old movies to copy over. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
eg8r </div></div>

Ed,

Don't "sit around and wait" for anything. Each time you view a tape, have it simultaneously dubbing off to DVD. Eventually, all the ones you watch will be captured and therefore shielded from future wear, tear, and mechanical damage in the player.

SpiderMan