PDA

View Full Version : pool hall music

skin
07-29-2008, 05:15 PM
I admit I am an old timer of sorts. I learned how to play way back in the late 60s and early 70s. Back then, some pool halls had juke boxes with songs on them by Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye, Roy Drusky, Al Green, etc. Slowly moving music with a definitive beat conducive for pool and finding dead stroke. Most pool halls had no music at all except for the click and drop of balls.

Now, you can hardly find a quiet, serious place to play. The music sounds like a cussing match during a demolition derby.

Maybe it is just me, but I think when the old style pool-only halls closed down and gave way to the modern game centers, a whole lot was lost from the game.

Just a thought...

bataisbest
07-29-2008, 05:46 PM
I have a playlist of sorts when I go play. I also play Marvin Gaye, Al Green, The Supremes, Credecnce Clearwater Revival,just to name a few. I agree it is good music to help get you in stroke. I also like some R&B and Hip Hop as well but the classics will always be what I listen to while playing, if I can help it.

Rail Rat
07-29-2008, 07:04 PM
One of the best rooms in the country just shut down here and all thats left now is crap. The music is X rated mind numbing filth and the kids that frequent them have no idea how to play the game.

I've set up my own pool room at home and have invited the players I know and trust to come over and play. So far its worked well but I only have 1 table so a lot of partner play but at least I'm getting in some good pool.
I put on the kind of music that everyone wants from 50's classic to recent but good albums. There's still a need out there for good pool halls, the problem is there's nobody in the business that knows how to run them. brad

dg-in-centralpa
07-29-2008, 07:52 PM
The pool hall where I play, has a juke box with all oldies, although no one plays it. At the clubs, there are very few oldies, but one cd they have is Iron Butterfly-In-a-gadda-da-vida. Everytime I go in to play, I always play this and piss off the other team and sometimes the bar owner. They lose money on this song. Some of my teammates and I will sing this, if we've had a few too many.

DG - I hate rap music

JimS
07-29-2008, 08:03 PM
For several years we had no place to play in this town of about 30K. This being the case I was thrilled to hear that a room was opening but I soon dispared. It became clear that the black T shirt crowd was the staple of the room and that they would be the crowd that would be spending enough to keep the room afloat. I really thought there would be more geezers but it turned out that there were only a few of us and we gave up.

I never go out to play anymore. I have a nice room at home with a Diamond Pro 9ft so why put up with the load music.

JWasson
07-29-2008, 08:14 PM
I get into my zone really fast if I'm listening to upbeat Classic Rock and such. I like to crank it up. Slow music throws my game off really bad. I can't play well with most Country music playing in the background. Makes me sluggish I suppose. We're all different in that respect I'm sure.

PoolHound34
07-29-2008, 09:01 PM
Maybe it's me but when I'm in a match I don't hear any music, just me talking myself through a shot. The pool room that I play at in Atlanta has a jukebox that has a variety of music on it. but when it's not in use they have it set to oldies or classic rock.

skin
07-29-2008, 09:58 PM
Unfortunately, I don't have a place at home for a table so I have to go out to play.

We have a couple rooms in town that are good between 3:00 - 6:00 before the rowdies show up. But nothing like the place I learned to play and where the game really got its teeth into me as a kid - the Cue and Rack Club on Greenville Ave. in Dallas. Six 8-foot Brunswick tables, a snooker table, and a billiards table; no music, no bar, no food, no horsing around; just pool. The crowd was hard core old timers who played a lot of golf on the snooker table and didn't say much. It was run by an old guy named Gus who taught me the loop bridge and the rules of 3-cushion. He used to let me play for free when I didn't have any money. The way he ran his place gave me respect for the game. It was great.

I have toyed off and on with the idea of opening a room something like that myself. I just don't have the time to baby it right now. Maybe when I retire.

skin
07-29-2008, 10:12 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dg-in-centralpa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The pool hall where I play, has a juke box with all oldies, although no one plays it. At the clubs, there are very few oldies, but one cd they have is Iron Butterfly-In-a-gadda-da-vida. Everytime I go in to play, I always play this and piss off the other team and sometimes the bar owner. They lose money on this song. Some of my teammates and I will sing this, if we've had a few too many.

DG - I hate rap music </div></div>

What a scream.

My favorite pool playing song is "Rainy Night in Georgia" by Brook Benton. You can't find that on a juke box anywhere now.

sack316
07-30-2008, 02:17 AM
"Bad To The Bone" still gets me going. Maybe it's because the video runs through my head. "The Payback" is another good one too for me.

Besides that, oldies that you guys have mentioned are always good too. I like the flow it brings, I guess is the best way to describe it. If the places you go have the newer jukeboxes (the ones connected online with the ability to download songs that aren't preloaded), just cram that sucker full of bills and let it play all night! You can generally do a "super search" feature and find a lot of the old stuff.

The problem I found in my years of running poolhalls is that no matter what you do with your jukebox options, you are isolating someone. The younger crowd will want to hear their death rock or rap music, to the dismay of the older crowd. We once tried putting a filter on the hard stuff and "parental advisory" type music, but that didn't go over so well. On the flip side, the older crowd will want to listen to their stuff, but that tends to bore (for lack of a better term) the younger crowd. Said younger crowd is way more willing to part with their dollars and hit the "play now" option to get "their" music blasting again. Older crowd gets upset because A) THIS crap is playing and B) "I put in some money but haven't heard my songs yet".

You can never please everyone, unfortunately. The closest thing I've found is when the whole crowd gets on a classic rock kick... most everyone gets into that.

My favorite time is when no music is playing, and all you can hear is the sounds of the game and that guy in the corner screaming "awww... come on!"

Sack

Fran Crimi
07-30-2008, 06:28 AM
<span style="color: #3333FF">Quote: Maybe it is just me, but I think when the old style pool-only halls closed down and gave way to the modern game centers, a whole lot was lost from the game. </span>

No, it's not just you. There are lots of us out there who remember fondly the way it used to be and miss it terribly.

Here's a novel idea: Somebody should open up a poolroom just like the way it used to be with no music, quiet as a library, and nothing but the occasional talk of the players and the sound of the balls. I bet it would go over big because it would be so unusual.

Fran

JJFSTAR
07-30-2008, 06:55 AM
Well said Sack, your not going to please everyone we play a game that like chess has absolutely no generational boundaries. The internet jukebox can’t even solve the problem. I think death metal, rap and most of the new kinds of sounds are more designed to evoke negative emotions rather than inspire. I am not however “hung up “on this.

Sure I poke fun at any song that is just a bunch of swear words strung together and songs that there is not one intelligible word uttered in it. I come from a different generation.

I do think that tavern and pool hall owners should respect everyone that patronizes their establishments and keep noise levels at the equator of tolerance for all. This is easier said than done to be sure.

To all the “old timers” who are complaining about what the “kids” are listening to. What did your grandparents say about the music you were listening to as a kid? You see it has come full circle, deal with it.

It is the 21st century we have ear plugs that seal into the ear and shut out all noise and the ipod. You can seal yourself in your home and not meet the shark who is going to inspire you to get to the next level if you want, the choice is yours. Ladies forgive my choice of clichés here but come on “man up”.

JoeW
07-30-2008, 07:48 AM
I think our culture has arrived at the point where we no longer need pool halls. Those of us old enough to like to play pool have a table at home. Those who cannot afford to have a table at home would not spend enough in a hall to make it pay for itself.

The game rooms are the order of the day and small time competition is in the leagues. The quiet pool hall is a thing of the past.

In the last few weeks I had considered attempting to start a Pool Club, something like a country club for golfers. Apparently, there just is not the interest. If I can get a pool club organized this fall it will not have other than "easy listening" and good tables.

In general those of us who are serious about this latter day sport have our tables at home with our preferred music.

The kids own the game rooms. There are not enough real players with money to support the type of pool hall the older genration knew.

BillyJack
07-30-2008, 08:45 AM
I guess I should consider myself fortunate. My local room, South Hills Golden Cue, in a Pittsburgh suburb, seems to do a decent job of pleasing everybody. 17 9ft Brunswicks and a Billiard table. The house music is "Adult Rock" from the 60's & 70's, which is switched off whenever the jukebox comes on. The volume levels are always audible, but never overwhelming, and I've never heard any "R" rated crap from the jukebox. There's always a mix of young bangers and serious players, and everyone gets along. Strangely, the double-shimmed tables are located at the opposite side of the room from the jukebox. Somebody was thinking!

Bill

JJFSTAR
07-30-2008, 08:57 AM
Hey Bill when do you play? I love the Golden Cue and the Cue and Cusion.

Rail Rat
07-30-2008, 10:48 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unfortunately, I don't have a place at home for a table so I have to go out to play.

We have a couple rooms in town that are good between 3:00 - 6:00 before the rowdies show up. But nothing like the place I learned to play and where the game really got its teeth into me as a kid - the Cue and Rack Club on Greenville Ave. in Dallas. Six 8-foot Brunswick tables, a snooker table, and a billiards table; no music, no bar, no food, no horsing around; just pool. The crowd was hard core old timers who played a lot of golf on the snooker table and didn't say much. It was run by an old guy named Gus who taught me the loop bridge and the rules of 3-cushion. He used to let me play for free when I didn't have any money. The way he ran his place gave me respect for the game. It was great.

I have toyed off and on with the idea of opening a room something like that myself. I just don't have the time to baby it right now. Maybe when I retire.

</div></div>

Hey Skin, I played there years ago. Is it still there?

I liked the place but for a different kind of pool I played occasionally down at Times Square, what a hustler hang out that was. It was rough, but damn I miss that kind of pool hall, if you wanted action or just wanted to see some of the best roadies around it was like Dizneyland for pool players.

If I opened a room now though I would base it on the Cue and Rack club, you don't need the cops casing your place like the Square.

brad

dg-in-centralpa
07-30-2008, 12:26 PM
Fran,
The pool hall where I live is like this. It is in the basement of another store. No food, no alcohol although they do sell sodas or water, no pinball, a jukebox that maybe gets played on the weekend, and nothing else. Seven 9 foot Brunswicks and a 7 footer for $4 an hour.

DG

skin
07-30-2008, 01:55 PM
Hey Skin, I played there years ago. Is it still there?

I liked the place but for a different kind of pool I played occasionally down at Times Square, what a hustler hang out that was. It was rough, but damn I miss that kind of pool hall, if you wanted action or just wanted to see some of the best roadies around it was like Dizneyland for pool players.

If I opened a room now though I would base it on the Cue and Rack club, you don't need the cops casing your place like the Square.
================================================== ===============

Brad, I think C&R closed down in the mid-late seventies after Gus passed away. It was a classic place.

My pool buddy and I spent a lot of time at Times Square when we were in high school. You're right about the players there. The best of the house players was a guy from Arlington they called San Jose Dick. I never saw anybody beat him until Jersey Red came up from Houston. Red played for 3 days and cleaned everybody out. It was a heck of a thing to watch. The place was packed around the clock while he was there.

-skin

Fran Crimi
07-30-2008, 01:59 PM
Sounds like heaven. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

MAC
07-30-2008, 02:33 PM
Anything except rap music and Im happy, I would prefer some Dier Straits or something along those lines.

Rail Rat
07-30-2008, 05:10 PM
(Quote Skin) Brad, I think C&R closed down in the mid-late seventies after Gus passed away. It was a classic place.

My pool buddy and I spent a lot of time at Times Square when we were in high school. You're right about the players there. The best of the house players was a guy from Arlington they called San Jose Dick. I never saw anybody beat him until Jersey Red came up from Houston. Red played for 3 days and cleaned everybody out. It was a heck of a thing to watch. The place was packed around the clock while he was there. -skin
---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Skin. It seems like yesterday to me, I still imagine all the players back then as young guys, but of course half of them would be dead or in their 70's by now.

I heard Of Jersey Red, he was a legend in Texas. We had a hustler by the name of Potter who prowled around my area on Greenville. The guy was real wise ass until I heard a player at the Times beat him bad, even took his cue. It was probably Dick. I wish I had seen the match up Dick had with Red that must have been something! brad

BillyJack
07-30-2008, 08:25 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJFSTAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Bill when do you play? I love the Golden Cue and the Cue and Cusion.

</div></div>
Typically, I play during the week after work, from about 9-11PM. Fall thru spring it's usually Tues. or Wed. nite. Summer, while the kids are home from college, it's less regular and could be any nite from Mon. thru Thurs.

Bill

KellyStick
07-31-2008, 09:19 AM
for me the right pool music is easy and most of the folks that come over agree. The Blues. I never really listened to the Blues until I got BB King and Eric Clapton Riding with the King. Since then don't look back. If you have not tried it check it out. Slow, fast, medium it's all good.

skin
07-31-2008, 12:38 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rail Rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Thanks Skin. It seems like yesterday to me, I still imagine all the players back then as young guys, but of course half of them would be dead or in their 70's by now.

I heard Of Jersey Red, he was a legend in Texas. We had a hustler by the name of Potter who prowled around my area on Greenville. The guy was real wise ass until I heard a player at the Times beat him bad, even took his cue. It was probably Dick. I wish I had seen the match up Dick had with Red that must have been something! brad </div></div>

Dick played Red one-pocket as I recall. I don't know what the spot was, but there were some terrific shots made that I saw. I never ran into a hustler named Potter as far as I know. Our home turf was a Mickey Finn's at Gaston & Abrams.

A few things at Times Square helped convince me not to be a professional player, not the least of which was that as sensational as players like Red and Dick (and Steve Heinz) were, I always got the impression that they carried nearly everything they owned in their pocket. That didn't much appeal to me as a way of life. It sure was fun and instructive to watch them play, though.

Rail Rat
07-31-2008, 02:07 PM
I'm fuzzy on the names and and I can't remember the name of the hall I played but it was on Garland Rd and Lakeland dr close to White Rock lake. A character like that would come around and make side bets also, thats not to far from your old club.

One character at Times looked like a hobo... the guy stank, it was tough to be on a table with him, but somebody told me he had seen him driving a new car. I think a lot of them put on an act for us fish.

You're right though most of them boozed or gambled it away, and no matter how good you are its not steady work.

Often at the Times somebody would walk by your table and accidently bump you in your stance!... some of the Times hang-arounders would do anything to make a buck.

The most memorable event I saw at the Times was two guys who played 9 ball two days non stop on the main table!... I asked one guy who was ahead and he said after 2 days it was a tie. I had to go back to work on Monday and never saw who won.

I played in Dallas from 67 to 76, who knows, we may have even played each other at some time.

skin
07-31-2008, 10:05 PM
I played in Dallas from 67 to 76, who knows, we may have even played each other at some time. - Brad

I was active in Dallas between 68-72. If we ever played each other, I hope you didn't take too much money off of me. :o)

I have enjoyed our conversation. Thanks.

skin