PDA

View Full Version : Hubert Daddy Warbucks Cokes

freddythebeard
07-30-2008, 12:55 PM
To me, Hubert Cokes was the toughest man alive for the first 50 years of the 20th Century. Fats said Hubert once bit-ch-slapped Baby-Face Nelson.

Meanwhile, I just downloaded an old article from 1966 about Hubert Daddy Warbucks Cokes. It appeared in the old Bowlers Journal and Billiard Revue (now morphed into the Billiards Digest).
It was written by the great Tom Fox. The man who wrote the wonderful Johnston City stories for Sports Illustrated. I was able to scan the photos ok, but the text wouldnt scan legibly enough so I had to type the whole thing out by hand and then insert it. ( A 3 day project) I got the magazine from Hubert Cokes' son Ellis who lives in Hot Springs, AR. (Thats where Hubert was from originally) Ellis told me a sidebar to the legendary gunfight story about Cokes and the sheriff of Hots Springs ( Cokes shot him dead). He told me the reason for the duel was over a woman -- which I knew -- but that the woman was Ellis's mother -- which I didnt know. Enjoy. http://www.warstoriesnonebyolivernorth.blogspot.com/

the Beard

Deeman3
07-30-2008, 03:36 PM
Freddie,

Fats once told me that Hubert told him, in Blythville, if you don't get out of here, I'll kill you dead. Fats said he never even stopped to pick up his suitcase as he knew when Cokes promised you something, it was sure thing. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif He said he stayed out of Arkansas for six months.

Thanks for the story. I'll be in Hot Springs this weekend. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif