PDA

View Full Version : The importance of being relaxed

Rail Rat
07-31-2008, 10:53 AM
There have been some very good videos of Earl Strickland lately on youtube, especially some early videos of Earl back in the 80's playing McCready. But I like this one of Earl showing an amateur how to make an off angle follow shot, its a good lesson.

Earl demonstrates the shot and makes it easily following to the opposite end of the table. The key to this shot is BE RELAXED!... its really not that hard.

I used to slash at this shot everytime, then I learned to not fear it.

Step up to the table completely calm and loose. When you get down, line up as if its an easy follow to the rail, except adjust your cue for the spin, take a slightly higher bridge as Earl shows, and shoot medium pace. You won't need to hit it strong the spin will get you there.

Get away from that feeling you have to tense up and hit it hard... stay down and stay relaxed and don't fear it. -brad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml4y67cFpi8&feature=related

JoeW
07-31-2008, 11:15 AM
That is a good video, now I will have to try it.

Thanks
JoeW

Qtec
07-31-2008, 01:57 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Step up to the table </div></div>.........is exactly what the guy in the video is NOT doing. He is rooted on the spot!

I'm surprised that Earl could even make himself heard concidering all the noise coming from the next table! LOL

Qtec.........must have been a Saturday night!

Rail Rat
07-31-2008, 02:41 PM
With Earl twisting his fingers he did'nt have much of an option.

Yeah, you gotta turn the sound way up.

I wonder if those guys in the back even know Earl is there?

brad

Scott Lee
07-31-2008, 06:53 PM
Earl was only there, at Masters Billiards, in Queens, to do a private lesson with Fleece3, who is the student. Masters is a pretty busy room at night. Come in the daytime, and it's pretty quiet.

Scott Lee