PDA

View Full Version : Cue ball frozen on rail

08-10-2002, 07:53 AM
Need some help! I was playing one pocket the other nite & this shot came up. The cue ball was frozen on the rail with an object ball about two inches away. I jacked up hit the object ball & drew the cue ball back to the same rail. No foul was called but a friend said I fouled. The guy I was playing didn't call it . I told the guy I would never call it either cause the cue ball left the rail, made contact & then came back to the rail. Someone please settle this for me PLEASE...........Thanx GAP

rackmup
08-10-2002, 07:56 AM
No foul. You struck an object ball and then drove the CB to a rail. Plain and simple.

Does your friend have an explanation for the supposed foul?

Regards,

Ken

PQQLK9
08-10-2002, 07:57 AM
It was a legal hit...after contact with the OB ....QB or OB must contact a rail.

Tom_In_Cincy
08-10-2002, 07:59 AM
Was the object ball also frozen to the rail? that's the only question that counts.
If the object ball was not frozen.. then the general rules of play only require a ball contact a rail "AFTER" the hit. The cue ball coming back and hitting the rail is legal. NO FOUL..

cheesemouse
08-10-2002, 08:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: gapthenatti:</font><hr> Need some help! I was playing one pocket the other nite &amp; this shot came up. The cue ball was frozen on the rail with an object ball about two inches away. I jacked up hit the object ball &amp; drew the cue ball back to the same rail. No foul was called but a friend said I fouled. The guy I was playing didn't call it . I told the guy I would never call it either cause the cue ball left the rail, made contact &amp; then came back to the rail. Someone please settle this for me PLEASE...........Thanx GAP <hr></blockquote>
rackmup, asked,

Does your friend have an explanation for the supposed foul?

I think the false aurgument is the fresh rail, that being, the frozen ball has that rail and a ball has to get one of the remaining five rails in order to be a good hit.

Tom_In_Cincy
08-10-2002, 08:14 AM
The BCA rule.. states.. OBJECT ball NOT Cue ball PLUS..
The frozen ball has to be announced first to be considered in the resulting hit.

3.38 OBJECT BALL FROZEN TO CUSHION OR CUE BALL
This rule applies to any shot where the cue ball&amp;#8217;s first contact with a ball is with one that is frozen to a cushion or to the cue ball itself. After the cue ball makes contact with the frozen object ball, the shot must result in either:

(a) A ball being pocketed, or;

(b) The cue ball contacting a cushion, or;

(c) The frozen ball being caused to contact a cushion attached to a separate rail, or;

(d) Another object ball being caused to contact a cushion with which it was not already in contact. Failure to satisfy one of those four requirements is a foul. (Note: 14.1 and other games specify additional requirements and applications of this rule; see specific game rules.) A ball which is touching a cushion at the start of a shot and then is forced into a cushion attached to the same rail is not considered to have been driven to that cushion unless it leaves the cushion, contacts another ball, and then contacts the cushion again. An object ball is not considered frozen to a cushion unless it is examined and announced as such by either the referee or one of the players prior to that object ball being involved in a shot.

cheesemouse
08-10-2002, 08:37 AM
I'm like most pool players. When a problem comes up I just hope there is a rule guy around who can settle the problem with the actual rule or a good line of B/S. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

08-10-2002, 10:06 PM
Tom in cincy is absoltely right in both posts- Patti_I -BCA referee