PDA

View Full Version : Any auto audiophiles out there? Whatcha got?

LWW
08-04-2008, 01:20 PM
I'm a believer that OEM audio systems are pretty much crap with a handful of exceptions.

Just curious how many others here thing the same and what their solutions were.

In the truck I pulled the carpet, headliner, and seats and Dynamatted ... before anyone jumps in yes their are cheaper alternatives but I'm a cheapskate and grabbed 200+ sq ft cheap on ebay ... the entire interior.

I swapped out the Delphi HU for an Eclipse CD5442 5 volt output HU. With it's 4 channels I'm driving 2 Aura bass shakers in the front seats and CDT 4" coaxials in the rear doors.

The HU's amp outputs feed a US Amps 4 channel X 100 watts amp. The amp powers a set of CDT 6.5" classic components in the front doors and 2 8" sealed CDT subwoofers under the rear seat.

In the roadster I pulled the seats and Dynamatted the floors and trunk and installed an Eclipse CD3433 HU and used the outs to feed a Memphis 4 channel X 75 watts amp.

The amp drives a set of 6.5 CDT classic components in the doors and a pair of Aura bass shakers that I built into the seats ... no room for a sub anywhere.

The truck is an absolute concert hall.

The roadster less so without a roof, but it's as close to audiophile as you can get in an open car withou spending more than the price of a car.

Combined, with an install, the 2 setups would have cost somewhere in the $5K range locally. With judicious shopping and ebay plus Parts Express I was able to do the both myself for about $1,500 combined.

LWW

eg8r
08-04-2008, 02:28 PM
Installing car audio was probably my first job. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

It is great to see someone out there with a US Amps amp. They are excellent amps but not one of the big names. I have a US 2000 that I have never ever used. It is sitting in my closet. It was going to push a pair of JL W7 12in subs (I think the cleanest sounding subs). Ever since I got out of college, car audio has gone by the wayside.

In my Civic I am running all factory speakers (just don't feel like pulling them but I do have Diamond Audio replacements for all), Kenwood Excelon HU with in dash 7in TV (excellent for road trips), Precision Power 4x100 for mids and highs, Precision Power 2x400 for 2 JL 10in W1 subs. The factory speakers are crossed over using the internal xover in the amp, the same for the subs. The crazy part is that the factory speakers in my 99 Civic are the newest pieces of equipment in my Civic. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

The subs actually had the dust cover blow off of each but it took a little bit of glue (used to initially build the speakers) and they are as good as new. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif No need to replace anything if it still works.

eg8r

sack316
08-04-2008, 10:15 PM
Would a hybrid vehicle's battery have enough spare juice to push all that? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Sack

wolfdancer
08-05-2008, 01:16 AM
I carry an H&K semi with me, and every time I see one of these audiofreak morons pull up next to me with max volume and rap music i shoot their tires out....unless i see a McCain sticker on the bumper....then i shoot the driver.

sack316
08-05-2008, 03:06 AM
now we're back on track

Sack

LWW
08-05-2008, 09:09 AM
I've found that "ANYBODY THAT DON'T LIKE HANK WILLIAMS CAN JUST KISS OUR ASS" at about 120 DB drives the rap monsters with their $19 WalMart subs nuts.

Gun toting fascists who believe in shooting political opponents used to scare me before I figured out that when it came right down to it they were all Barney Fife types who were dangerous to themselves with a firearm.

LWW

wolfdancer
08-05-2008, 09:59 AM
I don't like Hank Williams either...

Deeman3
08-05-2008, 10:29 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't like Hank Williams either... </div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000"> Wolfdancer,

Well, sitting less than 20 miles from his birthplace where I have breakfast a few times a week, I'd suggest you not utter that on your next visit here. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif These Alabama boys are not missing teeth for just any reason, most were knocked out over debates of who is the highest ranking in Heaven, Hank or Bear Bryant along with who's sister looks best in spandex....

I found out early on here that the fact he died of a drug overdose in the back of a black Caddy is a little more information than his old buddies care to recall. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

</span>

wolfdancer
08-05-2008, 10:43 AM
Don't take much of what I write too serious. I grew up on Hank Williams music, as the woman next door played the guitar and sang, and introduced me to country music.
It weren't the drugs what killed him....it was the food:
"...He also stopped at the Burger Bar (located in Bristol, VA) (which is still open and running as it was on that day) and ate his last meal at this place before his death. This place sells burgers with names of his songs to commemorate him."

Deeman3
08-05-2008, 12:26 PM
I'll have a "Honky Tonk Blues" burger with fries to go.