PDA

View Full Version : Pool Hall Junkies

MAC
08-04-2008, 03:12 PM
I thought this would be interesting and maybe spark a good story or two. When you start going around to a bunch of different places playing pool you start to notice how many A-Holes there really are out there. This weekend at one of my stops I had not one but two interesting encounters sorry if this gets long winded.

First there was this reall polluted guy who had a really good looking girlfriend with him who wanted to play some pool. Keep in mind this is not exactly one of those date friendly bars its kind of a rough redneck biker bar. He insisted that his "girl" as he put should get to go to the front and play next, no problem we abliged as this didnt seem like an out of way request plus we were all looking forward to seeing her bending over the table /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif then this drunk picked up one of the other guys beers and started chugging it front of him and when asked at what he was doing he got confrontational and poored the guys beer out on his feet! I couldnt beleive what I was seeing what a jerk. Shockingly he didnt get his teeth knocked out the owner kicked him out. I would call this guy a "bro" he had one of those white thin see through long sleeve shirts on, baggy jeans, and hat cocked sideways. He should have been beat up just for the clothes he had on not to mention the slang he used when he talked.

Second, some young kid couldnt have been older than 21 if that old kept harassing everyone to play for a thousand. I told the guy I didnt have a $1000 but would gladly play a few games for $100 a rack, the little punk called me chicken shit and cussed me out totally uncalled for.
I was just wanting to hear some good stories and thought I would share a couple. I know you guys got some better ones, I just cant beleive the nerve of some people.

Deeman3
08-04-2008, 03:34 PM
Some of us might comment but there may be remaining court cases in regard to those we have encountered with attitudes like that. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

The level of behavour we see now is pretty predictable seeing the way the "beautiful people" handle themsleves in public. This includes actors, professional ball player as well as politicians. Some people are simply not brought up right or not run into the proper stranger lately.

MAC, avoidance is the best medicine for these people but when you can't, violence helps. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

MAC
08-04-2008, 03:45 PM
I agree Deeman 100% for some reason the drunk to a liking to me and didnt bother me much other than the expected "close talking" that most drunks tend to do, if he had poored my beer out my feet it would have been a post that read something like hey I broke my nice cue on some drunk jack asses forehead this weekend.
Deeman, my father lives somewhere around Boaz,Al is that close to you by chance maybe when I visit him would could play some?

Rail Rat
08-04-2008, 03:57 PM
That's the reason I never play in bars anymore. The bar table rules are screwy and the drunks are a pain in the ass.

There's nothing more maddening than to lose the first game then not get a chance to replay because there's 10 people in line, so you have to put up with some cracker ass who you could normally beat one handed, strutting around the table like some hot shot with his goofy buddies hee hawing the whole time.

BTDT. -Rat

brian_m
08-04-2008, 05:59 PM
ive got a good one from a few weekends ago. we were at our local bar that we are at 3-4 times a week. and no big deal its getting close to last call and this guy comes over to where the tables are and lets everyone know that he could beat any one in the bar guy or girl! and he wanted to play for a bill. so i being a little drunk decided to egg him on a little and then came down to it and told him "you know what i dont really want to play right now so im gonna let my wife beat you" and it was on. i put out a $20 and he put down a $50 and said he didnt need change casue he was gonna win. (oh yeah in the 5 mins he was talking to me he ordered 4 shots and was claiming he had already had 8 before and you could tell) so before they started i made him sit down and listen to the rules and he agreed to all of them (apa rules) so she broke and ran out 5 balls before miscueing and missing her pocket. so he came up for his first shot and he was about 8in away from his target ball it was a swing and a miss so ball in hand for her she pocketed 1 more ball and he was up he decided to walk up and roll her ball out of the way so he could get a better hit on the cue!!!!!!!!!!!!! so i stopped the game and we got into he couldnt understand. so i let it go put the ball back and he walked up and did it again. so i took the cue ball from him and told him that was his 2nd chance its ball in hand now. well that pissed him off and he was a big talker and a buddy of mine turned to some of the wait staff and told them that he was about to get hurt if he didnt leave. so they came over and kicked him out! and thats how i became $50 richer

the moral of the story is dont talk sh#t when you have had 10+ shots and you might not lose money.

skin
08-04-2008, 07:01 PM
I never gambled in bars. Drunks usually don't take losing without an uproar of some kind. So, I would just play to keep the table for entertainment as long as I was there. Ticked some guys off that I wouldn't bet, but they usually got over it when they found out after several tries that they and their buddies couldn't beat me.

I'd consider myself lucky, MAC. A belligerent drunk with a girlfriend to show off to is unpredictable...and therefore dangerous. The kid who wanted to play for $1k...he didn't have that kind of money. And if he did, he sure wouldn't pay if he lost. He may have been trying to find out which drunk had a lot of cash so he could rob him outside. It happens.

sack316
08-04-2008, 10:41 PM
Oh wow, good thread here! Working and and frequenting bars and poolrooms for the last several years I have trouble picking out stories... but this made a few rush back in my mind. I've been told I should write a book about all the crap that's happened! Maybe I'll eventuall add a few to the thread.

For now on the top of my head was just one of those funny things if you were there and a regular. It was at Bumpers in Montgomery (which I worked at for about 5 years). I was up there on most of my off nights as well, and we'd always have something blowing in there. One night there was one of those cocky drunk kids just non-stop talking smack. he hadn't even played there yet, he was just running off at the mouth for no reason to nobody in particular for a while. Eventually he started bothering people trying to gamble. it was a slow night, and I was probably about the only serious "shooter" in there at the moment that gambled at all. I guess he got word of that and came to me. I was playing with a friend just for fun and politely declined. Well he kept on and on, and eventually my friend got sick of it and told me to go ahead and take him to shut him up.

So I told him I'd play, but didn't have much on me so I'd go like $20 a rack for a bit or a race for a bill or something along those lines. You'd think the guy would be happy just to get a bite at this point... but no. He says it wouldn't even be worth his time. I tried to reason with him that nobody but me was even willing to bother with him at this point, and a little something sure would be better than nothing. Nope, still not good enough. he wants to play for a couple hundred a game, and wants thousands to change hands, blah blah blah--- you know the deal.

So I tell him I just can't do that... and he does the whole chicken thing and all that jazz. Well, in true "family" fashion, a few people start offering to throw in with me. But like I said, it was slow, so it still wasn't what he claimed to be looking for. Finally, I get sick of the whole thing, yell up at the manager "Hey Greg... can I get a loan from the safe tonight?". He's been listening the whole time and quickly says "You got it man, it's all yours". So i turn to the dude and say "My friend, you've now got action". He doesn't beleive it, but Greg comes over and assures him he's on the up and up, and if the guy wins he'll gladly pay whatever I owe.

So then guess what happens? The dude says he's gonna go get his stick out of the car. Now take a guess as to whether or not we ever saw him again...

A nice hour or so out of my life I'll never get back. Sad thing is that it had been a famous "long" night out for me, and as fired up as I was over him bothering all of us, any decent player probably woulda wiped the floor with me at that point.

Sack

clarkhillfitness
08-04-2008, 10:59 PM
This reminds me of that episode of The Fresh Prince where Will is in the pool hall and Uncle Phil finds him in there and hustles the guys that beat Will. Uncle Phil turned out to be quite the pool shark!

http://www.clarkhillfitness.com

sack316
08-04-2008, 11:22 PM
ah yeah Clark... I loved that episode! I tried to re-create the sequence where Uncle Phil was eating a sandwich with one hand while running balls with the other... with less success of course /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sack

hal houle
08-05-2008, 03:50 AM
WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO GO ELSEWHERE. YOU ARE ALLOWED TO LEAVE, SO LEAVE. WHY DO YOU BOTHER. WATCH YOUR BLOOD PRESSURE.

Deeman3
08-05-2008, 09:35 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MAC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Deeman, my father lives somewhere around Boaz,Al is that close to you by chance maybe when I visit him would could play some? </div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000">MAC,

I'm about 3 hours south of Boaz. Of course, i do, on occasion, load up my cues on my bike and drive to other places. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Let me know if you get into Alabama. </span>

sack316
08-05-2008, 11:17 AM
been a while since I went up to Boaz. I think last time was for playing ball actually. But I'd love to swing up there sometime, some really good outlet stores up that way there and in Guntersville if I remember correctly.

Sack

cjt08046
08-05-2008, 02:27 PM
My friend and I were playing 8-ball on a bar box in the Elbow Room in Ft. Lauderdale a couple years back when this guy from the other table comes over to us. "Can we use your cue ball? We don't have one," he says.

"Uhh, no. We need that," we replied. Luckily we didn't have to explain how important the cue ball is for playing pool. He just kind of grumbled and went back to his lame table, maybe to stare at it and will a cueball into existence.

MAC
08-05-2008, 03:47 PM
Wow CJT I'll have to say of what I have read so far that one beats all..... I just dont know what to say to that one.

9ballchic
08-05-2008, 05:04 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about the movie pool hall junkies !!!!

Anyways I dont bet much if I do it's usually just for free drinks /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Rail Rat
08-05-2008, 06:42 PM
How bout that movie? Its been hashed over on this forum before but its allways fun to kick it around.

It had so much potential and some good scenes but basically it went unrealistic with cliched bad guys and a silly premise. It could have gone the way of The Cincinatti kid... what a great story and acting that was!... If anybody reads this that has a script in mind do a pool movie like that.

Ok casting... We need a gritty believable lead actor like Johnny Depp. For the second lead: Javier Bardem (no country for old men) throw in Billy Bob Thorton. For the female lead: Jennifer Lopez, that women can act, she would look good over a pool table too. Why not have a female pool hustler!

Thats my cast, any others? -brad

bignick31985
08-05-2008, 07:39 PM
Granted it isnt an amazing movie, I do enjoy watching it from time to time.

I have no entertaining stories about pool hall folks. Never really had a run in worth mentioning I suppose.

Kasper
08-06-2008, 05:38 AM
It was my buddies first day of league and he ended up playin a lady that was an excellent shot. He broke and ran the table up to the 8 ball and barely rattled it out. She cleaned up the table, walked over to him and said "don't worry, everybody gets a little league-itis." It's nothing like what you said but I still found it to be rude.

MAC
08-06-2008, 07:35 AM
Never saw the movie "Pool Hall Junkies" sorry if I mislead anyone with this thread. I did just finish reading "Running the table" , now thats going to be one hell of a movie.

New2Pool
08-06-2008, 07:46 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rail Rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...
Why not have a female pool hustler!

Thats my cast, any others? -brad </div></div>

Does Whoopie Goldburg count ( Kiss Shot (http://www.amazon.com/Kiss-Shot-Phyllis-Coates/dp/B0009A40WU/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1218030302&sr=8-1))?

bmccaslin
08-06-2008, 08:51 AM
Rail Rat,

Have you read the new BD? There is an article about the movie "Turn the River", in which Famke Janssen plays a pool hustler trying to win money to get her son back or something like that. Lots of cameos from the professional pool world in it as always with these movies. I'm interested to see it anyways. Apparently she was adamant that she make all of her shots in the movie - no stand-ins to make the hard shots for her. I like that.

I did like "Pool Hall Junkies"; especially Christopher Walken's character. He can make any movie interesting.

Rail Rat
08-06-2008, 10:22 AM
Amazing, I never heard of Kiss shot. It must not have made much of a impact.

Rail Rat
08-06-2008, 10:35 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bmccaslin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rail Rat,

Have you read the new BD? There is an article about the movie "Turn the River", in which Famke Janssen plays a pool hustler trying to win money to get her son back or something like that. Lots of cameos from the professional pool world in it as always with these movies. I'm interested to see it anyways. Apparently she was adamant that she make all of her shots in the movie - no stand-ins to make the hard shots for her. I like that.

I did like "Pool Hall Junkies"; especially Christopher Walken's character. He can make any movie interesting. </div></div>

Definately going to see it when it comes out, sounds like a great plot idea, I hope they don't go silly and keep it real.

I liked Pool Hall junkies for many aspects and hated it for others. Walken was good and I liked the lead actor (can't think of his name) but some of the plot turns I thought were not true to the characters, they were so mean in some instances that I had no feelings for them and when that happens I lose caring for anybody in the movie. The best villians and heros are the ones that show a human side.

The ending which should have been dramatic turned into an old pool room joke and was a disapointment.

But all and all the movie did capture the pool hustler ambience which few movies do.

KellyStick
08-06-2008, 12:24 PM
I liked the movie mostly because it was about pool plus I like the actor who's name slips my mind. But he is the one that says "I don't have to make that shot again in a million years! I just made right now!" What I did not like was all the hard slam banger shooting. In my mind it depicted pool wrong.

Deeman3
08-06-2008, 12:32 PM
Mars Calahan?

sack316
08-06-2008, 11:48 PM
Walken said the quote Kelly was referring to (the scene with the rail shot on the 8 into the side). Anything he is in, I will watch.

Callahan is who RailRat couldn't recall. When friends watch that movie they tell me I am too much like his character (perhaps they ripped me off for the story?).

Chazz Palminteri (Joe) is someone else who is always good in anything he's in. He seems to always be the same character, but sometimes it's good guy and sometimes (usually) it bad guy.

Sack

Rail Rat
08-07-2008, 09:48 AM
I remember now, I looked Callahan up on the web and he is actually something of a pool player. He intended the movie to be a reflextion of his pool days, but the way he handles a cue in the movie is suspect. You can instantly spot a player who is good and someone who is not to advanced by their stroke. That story may have been just for PR purposes. Walken though, does play some pool and he did the cross- bank- kick himself. To Callahan's credit he did the trick also.

Chazz is a vastly under-rated actor and deserves more credit and better roles, I'll watch any movie he is in. -rat

Deeman3
08-07-2008, 01:33 PM
remember now, I looked Callahan up on the web and he is actually something of a pool player.

Iheard that was a load of crap and that he could not play even at shortstop speed. IMBW

Callahan is who RailRat couldn't recall. When friends watch that movie they tell me I am too much like his character (perhaps they ripped me off for the story?).

Sack, I might tag you as a little like his character as well. I have to say I thought of you the first time I saw the movie.

sack316
08-07-2008, 10:34 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Sack, I might tag you as a little like his character as well. I have to say I thought of you the first time I saw the movie.
</div></div>

I take it as a compliment when I am told that. The character was pretty good at least. Probably doesn't hurt that the characters name was Johnny as well. And the actors last name Callahan is also in by bloodline on my mothers side. Perhaps myself and Mars are long lost cousins or somethin /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

But more accurately it's probably that it's a fairly good looking fella, who has a sense of arrogance about him, that everyone else thinks is a lot better at pool than he actually is in reality /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif (I swear, I must be the most overrated player in central Alabama... but hey I've won a lot just by people thinking they couldn't beat me I suppose). Oh... and also the character completely bypassed ordering a "shot" at the bar and ordered a bottle of jack. Substitute jager and you've got a night out at the poolhall with the old Sacky boy for many years.

And I can run my mouth with the best of 'em. Guess I am "that guy". /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif If only I had a girl with an "Uncle Mike", I'd have it made.

Sack

9ballchic
08-08-2008, 07:30 PM
Did this thread take a turn or what ?

I have never heard of "turn the river" but I just read a little bit about it and I think that it will be worth watching.

I own a few pool movies and they are "The Hustler", which is my second favorite and a very good movie for a black and white film, "Color of Money", which I have watched 5 or 6 times, its ok I guess, and "pool hall junkies", I have watched this movie over a hundred times, I almost know the whole script. I know that there are some very bad acting parts in the movie but there are some very good parts throughout the movie. Chazz Palminteri and Chris Walken were great, whoever the no name is that played johnny wasn't bad for a no name actor either.