PDA

View Full Version : Block and Blame

Qtec
08-05-2008, 11:36 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A record-breaking campaign of obstruction was waged by the Republican minority in Congress during the 110th Congress to keep the Democratic majority from enacting legislation sought by the American people. Their strategy of "block and blame" has driven the perception of a "do-nothing Congress." </div></div>

http://www.ourfuture.org/files/images/Cloture-vote-chart-052808-fr.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As this chart shows, never have so many filibusters been threatened as in the first session of the 110th Congress. In just the first year, Republicans filibustered more legislation, and required more cloture votes to break those filibusters, than in any Congress in recent history. Congress is on pace to more than double the number of cloture votes of previous Congresses — including the ones that Republicans controlled and complained of Democratic 'obstruction.'

This is the result of a deliberate effort by the Republican minority to undercut the will of the majority of the American public, expressed when voters placed a Democratic majority in control of both houses of Congress. The filibuster, a procedure unique to the Senate to block an up-or-down vote on legislation unless a 60-vote supermajority agrees to proceed, has been historically used by both parties. But it has never been used as routinely as it has been by Republicans since January 2007 </div></div>
link (http://www.ourfuture.org/obstruction)

Why is this not reported by the media?

Q

Bobbyrx
08-05-2008, 11:54 AM
1) It has been reported
2) It's legal and has been done forever
3)The "will of the people" is not to let the Dems do whatever they want unoposed. Most people support off shore oil drilling but Pelosi won't even let it come up for a vote. I assume that's ok with you.........

sack316
08-05-2008, 12:15 PM
Oddly enough, that site is from Robert L. Borosage--- who has worked for "The Nation" (which is self described as the flagship for the left), and Roger Hickey. Wow, I'm wondering where their opinions are scewed towards.

I know your next argument, "Facts are facts". (look, there's even a bar graph!) But how you present these facts are still as partisan and biased as opinion can be.

It's not the right that makes the congress seem like a "do nothing" congress, it's congress that does. The right didn't seem to want to go on this little summer vacation without getting some of these issues voted on and handled. Yet, as far as I can see, congress doesn't seem to be in session right now.

Here's a clue: both sides are mucking it up. Period. And neither side is willing enough to compromise what they want in order to get anything done. That is the fault of everyone there, not just the right. So in a sense Q, you are correct in pointing out things the right has done to "slow" any progress down. But blame doesn't lie solely on that side either. A fact you and a few others don't care to see

Sack

LWW
08-05-2008, 12:23 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A record-breaking campaign of obstruction was waged by the Republican minority in Congress during the 110th Congress to keep the Democratic majority from enacting legislation sought by the American people. Their strategy of "block and blame" has driven the perception of a "do-nothing Congress." </div></div>

http://www.ourfuture.org/files/images/Cloture-vote-chart-052808-fr.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As this chart shows, never have so many filibusters been threatened as in the first session of the 110th Congress. In just the first year, Republicans filibustered more legislation, and required more cloture votes to break those filibusters, than in any Congress in recent history. Congress is on pace to more than double the number of cloture votes of previous Congresses — including the ones that Republicans controlled and complained of Democratic 'obstruction.'

This is the result of a deliberate effort by the Republican minority to undercut the will of the majority of the American public, expressed when voters placed a Democratic majority in control of both houses of Congress. The filibuster, a procedure unique to the Senate to block an up-or-down vote on legislation unless a 60-vote supermajority agrees to proceed, has been historically used by both parties. But it has never been used as routinely as it has been by Republicans since January 2007 </div></div>
link (http://www.ourfuture.org/obstruction)

Why is this not reported by the media?

Q
</div></div>
Why do you think this is a bad thing?

LWW

eg8r
08-05-2008, 02:19 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A record-breaking campaign of obstruction was waged by the Republican minority in Congress during the 110th Congress to keep the Democratic majority from enacting legislation sought by the American people. Their strategy of "block and blame" has driven the perception of a "do-nothing Congress." </div></div>When exactly will you be man enough to actually lay any blame at the feet of a Democrat? What act of God would that actually take?

How about the Dems blocking the Reps by going on vacation and not staying to work things out? The Reps stayed to work.

As far as filibusters, it seems the Dems are upset the Reps have learned the Dem way of politics.

eg8r

mike60
08-05-2008, 02:33 PM
The Drill our way out policy is flawed and just more money for the BILLIONAIRE Oil Companies.........

CONSERVATIVE OBSTRUCTION ON ENERGY: House conservatives are not looking for any fix to gas prices: They are intent on drilling and drilling only -- and simultaneously filling Big Oil's coffers. These same conservatives have voted to block legislation that would have released oil from the Strategic Petroleum*Reserve, block legislation banning price gouging, and block legislation requiring oil companies to first drill on the land already leaded to them. Conservative leaders have blocked or voted "no" on eight different energy bills aimed at addressing rising prices, including bills that raised vehicle fuel efficiency, provided tax incentives for renewable energy, invested in energy efficiency, required a 15 percent renewable electricity standard, and expanded commuter rail and bus services while reducing transit fares. Opening new offshore sites to drilling is a boon only to Big Oil companies,*and they have responded to conservatives' efforts by opening their wallets. Just in the last year, House Minority Whip Roy Blunt (R-MO), one of the leaders of the floor standoff, has received more than nearly $100,000 from the oil and gas industries, with $20,000 from Chevron alone. 

A STUNT, NOT A SOLUTION: Not only are conservatives engaging in a meaningless political stunt, but their policy prescriptive -- offshore drilling -- is*also nothing but a gimmick. *Opening more offshore areas to drilling "would not have a significant impact on domestic crude oil and natural gas production or prices before 2030," according to the Energy Information Administration. Earlier this summer, the government's "top energy forecaster" said of offshore drilling: "It doesn't affect prices that much." Meanwhile, Republicans are mocking common-sense solutions like inflating your tires and tuning your engine, which "could save more barrels of oil in one year than new offshore drilling could produce in four." In the long term, Americans need an energy solution that prioritizes independence from fossil fuels altogether to help with the rising costs of gas -- not political stunts and empty gimmicks.

Have a nice day....

mike

Gayle in MD
08-05-2008, 04:10 PM
Why give more off shore drilling leases to oil companies that refuse to use the millions of acres of off shore leases they already have?

Oil is what we need to get away from, not increase usage! The oil companies are hangin us all, and you want to give them more rope?

Totally absurd!

Gayle in Md.

Gayle in MD
08-05-2008, 04:27 PM
I can't agree with you, Sack. I've been watching the Republicans block everything for years! Even better equipment for our troops! McCain, voted against everything that could have helped them, also.

Republicans are working for big oil, plain and simple. They have used outrageous tactics throughout this Congress. It's just a real shame that so few people watch them operate live on C-Span, because if they did, the Republican party would be gone by now!

The Democratics are absolutely right! We should not give more tax breaks, and subsidies to big oil, while they refuse to utilize the many millions of acres, both on and off shore, which they have been holding for years. They have refused to build more refineries, and basically refused to use any of their billions upon billions of profits to ward off these high prices, and provide this country enough oil to avoid the bind that we're in right now, and Republicans want to give them more leeway!

It's a joke. Anyone who can't see through this oil farce is blind! I suppose you don't think any of this has anything to do with Cheney's secret oil deals, or the invasion of Iraq? Oil went through the roof during Bush one's term, also. Destablize the Middle East, and oil goes up!

It's a scam!

Gayle in Md.
Republicans have crippled this country, burried us in debt, destroyed our armed services, put us a risk, created the greatest chasm between the rich and the middle Class since the twenties, and there are still people out there who refuse to see the light! Unbelievable!

mike60
08-05-2008, 04:40 PM
This reminds me of the 1970's oil shortage. When an executive of Shell oil was asked about helping the consumers by returning some profits to buy oil to stabilize the price he said we'll just wait it out and adjust the price with more supply. In other words screw the consumers they've got no choice but pay to drive or heat their homes.
Nothing ever changes but the names.

mike

Gayle in MD
08-05-2008, 04:50 PM
That is very true, and that is the reason why the Democratics left for vacation. There was no point in staying once they realized that Republicans were going to continue to push for the big oil companies in this country, instead of doing what is best for the country. The Democratics want to start standing up to big oil, and stop giving them tax breaks, and subsidies, while they're screwing us royal! The Republicans want their cronies to continue screwing America so they can get their usual pay offs.

It's disgusting the way the right wing media mamages to distort what is happening in the Congress. Too bad the right doesn't watch our government, live, they'd atlest know that Valarie Plame wasn't "Just a Secretary" and they'd also understand what a total liar McCain really is!

Gayle in Md.

eg8r
08-06-2008, 07:50 AM
The Dems are PO'd that the Reps are returning the favor. Get over it.

eg8r

eg8r
08-06-2008, 07:51 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This reminds me of the 1970's oil shortage. When an executive of Shell oil was asked about helping the consumers by returning some profits to buy oil to stabilize the price he said we'll just wait it out and adjust the price with more supply. In other words screw the consumers they've got no choice but pay to drive or heat their homes.</div></div>Screw economics, mikey here wants a hand out.

eg8r

Qtec
08-06-2008, 09:50 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A record-breaking campaign of obstruction was waged by the Republican minority in Congress during the 110th Congress to keep the Democratic majority from enacting legislation sought by the American people. Their strategy of "block and blame" has driven the perception of a "do-nothing Congress." </div></div>When exactly will you be man enough to actually lay any blame at the feet of a Democrat? What act of God would that actually take?</div></div>

LOL. You have been the one laying ALL the blame at the feet of the Dems. Now ,when show [ WITH FACTS] that you are completely wrong [and that its the Reps who are obstructing Govt] you still blame the Dems!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about the Dems blocking the Reps by going on vacation and not staying to work things out? The Reps stayed to work.</div></div>

This is laughable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh those silly Republicans, trying to show how seriously they take their job to represent their oil lobbyist buddies constituents by repeating the shenanigans of Friday. We’ve got Roy Blunt castigating the 110th Congress for not passing an appropriations bill, and yet here Congress is, trying to get a veterans’ appropriations bill passed and there goes the Republicans, playing games.

The Republicans’ unsuccessful attempt to derail the veterans bill comes after President Bush threatened to veto the legislation over excessive spending on veterans and our troops and after Senate Republicans blocked the National Defense Authorization Act in the Senate over the same issue. The House did pass the FY 2009 Military Construction and Veterans Affairs Appropriations bill, H.R. 6599 despite the Republican obstruction. This bill provides another much-needed funding increase for veterans’ care (11 percent more than last year and $2.9 billion more than the President’s request) - building on last year’s largest ever increase in the 77-year history of the Veterans’ Administration. All of the major veterans groups endorse the measure.

As Chairman Edwards explained, Veterans’ organizations also called for its swift passage: “we urge that no impediments are put in its way and that its passage can come quickly and smoothly. The issues in this bill …are not controversial, and they have broad bipartisan support. Attaching non-germane issues to the veterans funding bill that serve to delay or block passage would truly be wrong.” [VFW, 7/25/08] Nonetheless, Republicans attempted to derail the bill by attaching drilling provisions that would destroy some of the nations most pristine areas forever in exchange for savings of only pennies per gallon more than 15 years from now, according to President Bush’s own Energy Department. The provisions, however, would provide billions of dollars in profits for the oil industry.

Josh Nelson breaks down exactly how far $2,228,995 goes with some members of Congress. with video (http://www.crooksandliars.com/2008/08/04/republicans-playing-more-games-on-house-floor/) </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> As far as filibusters, it seems the Dems are upset the Reps have learned the Dem way of politics.

eg8r </div></div>

Thats the answer from someone who places party politics above the will of the people or the greater good.

Q

Gayle in MD
08-06-2008, 09:55 AM
Bravo! Excellent post, Q. Unfortunately, Ed has never been one to give a damn about the facts. He thinks that the loss of 4,133 American troops, and eventual debt of over three trillion dollars, was worth it to get rid of a man who was of no threat to us in the first place. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Gayle in Md.

Bobbyrx
08-06-2008, 11:34 AM
The point was that Q said the Republicans were blocking "the will of the people" yada yada yada, which is what the party in the minority is always accused of doing. I just pointed out that a majority of the people want to open up drilling off shore (doesn't matter what you or I think) and Pelosi is blocking even a vote on it. Therefore she is not only blocking "the will of the people" , she won't even allow a vote.........

eg8r
08-06-2008, 11:47 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL. You have been the one laying ALL the blame at the feet of the Dems.</div></div>Do you have any intention of answering my question or will you side step like usual?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now ,when show [ WITH FACTS] that you are completely wrong [and that its the Reps who are obstructing Govt] you still blame the Dems!</div></div> Take a second an re-read what you type, it is sometimes annoying trying to figure out what you are trying to say. Now, back to what I think you are trying to say...I am not placing blame at the Dems, I am asking you when will you EVER place one little teeny little bit of blame on the Dems. If you are going to constantly, in every single post, blame the Reps, I will continue to show you the Dems are worse at it.

I hope the Dems enjoy their vacation because they certainly are not interested in doing what the American public wants them to do and their ratings are showing it. The Dems are failures at this point and your inane posts are clear examples of why.

eg8r

eg8r
08-06-2008, 11:48 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bravo! Excellent post, Q. Unfortunately, Ed has never been one to give a damn about the facts.</div></div>I have never cared about the "facts" that you sheep keep trying to pass as REAL facts. Your "facts" are merely opinions of those that are spoon feeding them to you.

eg8r

Deeman3
08-06-2008, 12:28 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bobbyrx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The point was that Q said the Republicans were blocking "the will of the people" yada yada yada, which is what the party in the minority is always accused of doing. I just pointed out that a majority of the people want to open up drilling off shore (doesn't matter what you or I think) and Pelosi is blocking even a vote on it. Therefore she is not only blocking "the will of the people" , she won't even allow a vote......... </div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000">Bobbyrx,

Once again I must correct you. 70% is not a majority to the people you are arguing with. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </span>

mike60
08-06-2008, 02:43 PM
[quote=eg8r]<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This reminds me of the 1970's oil shortage. When an executive of Shell oil was asked about helping the consumers by returning some profits to buy oil to stabilize the price he said we'll just wait it out and adjust the price with more supply. In other words screw the consumers they've got no choice but pay to drive or heat their homes.</div></div>Screw economics, mikey here wants a hand out.

eg8r [/quot

eg8r, You dismal fool. 1) Only my friends call me mikey.
2) You are a divot of the lowest order, obstructionist tool of the wingbats.
3) I am independent and have never needed a handout form anyone.
4) Did i mention you're a tool.
5) You couldn't recognize you own interests if a second grader explained it for you.

Have a nice tool, er day.

miguel

eg8r
08-07-2008, 02:44 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">eg8r, You dismal fool. 1) Only my friends call me mikey. </div></div>Not necessarily true mikey. I don't know you from Adam but you are mikey to me. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

later mikey.

eg8r

Chopstick
08-07-2008, 03:54 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">eg8r, You dismal fool. 1) Only my friends call me mikey. </div></div>Not necessarily true mikey. I don't know you from Adam but you are mikey to me. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

later mikey.

eg8r </div></div>

That's Mr. Mikey to you Eg.

And the oil companies aren't setting the price, the speculators are. Ya'll are yelling about the wrong people.

Gayle in MD
08-07-2008, 06:13 PM
Drilling off shore is already available to the oil companies, FYI, they haven't done it. They haven't even used any viable research and development tools, which they have not bothered to upgrade, anyway, to see what is available in the offshore areas which they already have leases to drill.

The majority of the people say they think that Democrats will do a better job with the economy. The majority of those unhappy with the Congress, give Democratics a higher rating than Reublicans. The Majority of the people think Iraq was a huge mistake, and that our country is going in the wrong direction. Some of those people, like me, for example, do pay close attention to what is going on in our government, and those who do, have watched the Republicans block many, many bills that could have made a positive difference, and hence, the Republicans get a lower rating than the Democratics.

According to some of the polls the thing that Americans are most angry about is that Nancy Pelosi hasn't impeached Bush and Cheney.

As for the "Will Of The People" we'll all soon find out about what that is, won't we. So far, Obama is in front of McCain in every single poll. McSame has not been in front one single time. McSame has embraced every major policy of the Bush Administration. Republicans are acknowledging, themselves, that they expect to lose seats, and if I recall, one of them stated that if the Republican brand was dog food, it would be taken off the shelf.

Once more people understand how irresponsible the American Oil Companies have been about handling things, they will understand why there was no point in staying to try to deal with a bunch of
Republican Representatives who represent only the interests of the oil corporations, which have been getting huge tax breaks, subsidies, and are still too greedy to use enough of their profits to ward off shortages. Drilling for oil when there are not enough refineries, is not a solution to an urgent problem which is impacting the economy, now. Republican policies have not been against higher cafe' standards. We have had no energy policy at all, under the Bush administration.

Gayle in Md.

mike60
08-08-2008, 01:34 AM
ERWS

miguel

Gayle in MD
08-08-2008, 09:20 AM
No, The point is that Republicans stonewalled any progress. They didn't want higher Cafe' standards, and other measures to lead our country toward more clean fuel measures, and less same ol' same ol' dirty oil dependence policies.

Uninformed Republican voters who are too narrow in their voting issues will ruin the country if we allow Republicans to get what they want, which is more of the same, as long as their beloved rich greedy corporate fascist, their war profiteering Republican cronies, continue to rack in the dollars that they so ignorantly believe wil trickle down to them.

Gayle in Md.

Deeman3
08-08-2008, 09:29 AM
I thought the Cafe' standards were raised during the Bush Administration. Maybe I was mistaken and it was Clinton.

I have done all I need for energy conservation as I had our maintenace people check and air up 67 sets of tires and get tune-ups on all that were in schedule to require one. At least now I won't feel I have to make a $50K investment in Mr. Pickin's windfarm.

I'm good for another year on my fight to curb my carbon emmissions. Gee, that felt good! Tomorrow, my personal cars and motorcycles.....I'm like this Obama conservationist role better every day. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif The hell with McCain, if he can't afford $5.00 a gallon, screw him and his drilling. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

wolfdancer
08-08-2008, 09:38 AM
The hell with McCain, if he can't afford $5.00 a gallon, screw him and his drilling.
I knew eventually that you would see the light and come around ...

Gayle in MD
08-08-2008, 10:11 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The point was that Q said the Republicans were blocking "the will of the people" yada yada yada, which is what the party in the minority is always accused of doing. </div></div>

Republicans have broken all filabuster records, denial man.

Giving the oil companies the right to spoil our beautiful east coast shoreline won't help our present situation at all. They have failed to invest in refineries, failed miserably to invest in research and development of renewable, clean energy. Just like the AMerican automobile companies, they have doen little or nothing to take responaibility for the filth they put into our air and water with their products. It's long past time for our Representatives to regulate the auto and oil industries, and their money mongering assault on our environment. Republicans want to give them more opportunities to assault the rest of the planet, and subsidize them while they're doing it, and make the rest of us pick up the tab.

Democratics want our country to be in the lead in research and development, not an obstruction to it, like Bush, Cheney and the Republicans have been in every problem that needs attention, from the oil crises, to a crummbling infrastructure, to medical embryonic research, to providing decent rest and equipment for our troops, to filibustering every single important bill in the Congress.

Republicans only protect Corporate fascits pigs, at the expense of the tax payers, the troops, and the environment. That makes Republicans pigs, too. And the ignorant greedy people who support the Republican Party because they're too damn dumb to grasp what the Republicans are doing to all of us.

Gayle in Md.