PDA

View Full Version : Profanity Greater on Liberal Blogs

llotter
08-07-2008, 09:42 AM
Are liberals more profane than conservatives? Online, the answer seems to be yes. Profanity, those taboo words banned from the broadcast airwaves, is a feature of many people's daily lives. It's much less so in the establishment media world. TV and radio broadcasts are legally prohibited from using it, most newspapers (including this one) have traditionally refrained from its usage.

That's not the case with the Web, where bloggers and readers face no such restrictions. That likely comes as no surprise; what may be surprising, however, is to what degree profanity seems to be a feature more common on one side of the political blogosphere than the other.

Which side is that? For answers, I turned to the search engine Google to see how common swearing is in the right and left blog universes by looking up the late stand-up comic George Carlin's "seven dirty words" in the most popular blog communities.

The results showed that online liberals tend to use profanity a lot more than online conservatives.

(Before I get further into the results, let me say that I am deliberately making a distinction between blogs that do not usually allow readers to make comments and those that do. This means that some sites, such as the popular Instapundit or Newsmax, were not included.)

Searching for Mr. Carlin's seven words and some popular variants at the top 10 conservative Web communities yields about 70,000 results. That is dwarfed in comparison to the 1.9 million instances of profanity on liberal sites.

Things aren't quite that clear-cut, however, since some Web sites have more pages than others. According to Google, the top 10 conservative sites have about 6 million pages, while the top 10 liberal sites have about 13 million.

Dividing the number of instances of profanity by the number of pages of the sites on which they appear, then multiplying the result by 100 yields what might be called a "profanity quotient."

The top 10 liberal sites (Daily Kos, Huffington Post, Democratic Underground, Talking Points Memo, Crooks and Liars, Think Progress, Atrios, Greenwald, MyDD and Firedoglake) have a profanity quotient of 14.6

The top 10 conservative sites (Free Republic, Hot Air, Little Green Footballs, Townhall, NewsBusters, Lucianne.com, Wizbang, Ace of Spades, Red State and Volokh Conspiracy) have a quotient of 1.17.

This means that 14.6 percent of all pages on the most popular liberal sites have profanity on them, compared to 1.17 percent of all pages on the conservative sites.

That's quite a disparity.

One thing that is interesting to note is that the profanity ratio of a particular site seems somewhat related to the writing style of the bloggers who run it.

For instance, the Ace of Spades blog has the highest profanity quotient on the right. This is likely due to the fact that "Ace," the anonymous proprietor of the site, regularly uses profanity in his own writings and therefore is much less inclined to want to crack down on readers who respond using it.

Notable also in these stats are the liberal blogs Eschaton, Crooks and Liars, and Firedoglake, where profanity is so common you basically cannot take part in the discussion without running into it.

On the flip side, the popular conservative community Lucianne.com, run by literary agent Lucianne Goldberg, seems to have no profanity at all.

Why such a disparity between the right and left online?

Some on the right may take this as a sign of their superior intelligence. Others may theorize that it's simply because liberals are angry at President Bush.

More than likely, it is a reflection of how things are offline. Conservatives, especially those who are more religious, are less likely to use profanity in their daily conversation.

Matthew Sheffield is a Web consultant and creator of NewsBusters.org

Qtec
08-07-2008, 10:08 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">More than likely, it is a reflection of how things are offline. Conservatives, especially those who are more religious, are less likely to use profanity in their daily conversation. </div></div>

Fu%k@@f.

Q.....LOL

Deeman3
08-07-2008, 10:11 AM
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

sack316
08-07-2008, 10:40 AM
I'll be damned. Interesting read.

Sack

Chopstick
08-07-2008, 10:41 AM
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

wolfdancer
08-07-2008, 12:35 PM
I'm wondering what the hidden implications are?
We already know that all us liberals are going to hell...does this mean they'll turn the heat up a little?

Wally_in_Cincy
08-07-2008, 12:53 PM
Conservatives are generally happy.

Liberals are angry.

Hence the difference.

Deeman3
08-07-2008, 01:28 PM
I think this is probably the least important item we can discuss but may be wrong. It is sort of like the studies that show liberals don't give and that they have weirder but less fullfuling sex lives. Probably predictable but not very important and more a trend than an identity.

I am much more ofended by the personal attacks, bad language or not where they can show Codi Rice with large, thick lips, which she sure does not have and then throw out the racist word each time you call Obama on something. I was the first to admit that McCain, for instance, won't represent the right very well and agree, in many caes, that GWB has not. But say one single critizism about Obama's judgement, past politicaL vote or associations or even question his change in position and you are a racist. That's what I see in the blogs.

If they wanna cuss, it is a free countryat least until next year.

hondo
08-07-2008, 01:38 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wally_in_Cincy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Conservatives are generally happy.

Liberals are angry.

Hence the difference. </div></div>

I never realized that being anal retentive was the key to happiness???

sack316
08-07-2008, 01:41 PM
I surely thought the "ignorance is bliss" argument would be made by now. I'm a little disappointed in the lefties here at the moment. I guess the quick wit stopped at Kerry /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Sack

Deeman3
08-07-2008, 01:59 PM

llotter
08-07-2008, 04:10 PM
The relevance of this thread about liberals is that they donít have a clue about what it takes to maintain a free and civil society. No doubt that their manners are just as wanting and you would have to ask yourself whatís wrong with the ideals of people from whom young children should be protected.

wolfdancer
08-07-2008, 06:57 PM
I admit that we fall far short in sharing your glee over the economic, political, and security issues that the country faces today....and despite the claims, aren't really overjoyed with Obama.
well I guess I shouldn't be trying to speak for the rest of my fellow, cussing and swearing, "haven't a clue" liberals, that you nice folks need to be protected from.

sack316
08-07-2008, 10:18 PM
I wish Ludacris would join the board. He'd make us understand /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sack

mike60
08-08-2008, 12:46 AM
Fuck yeah.....

miguel

hondo
08-08-2008, 05:52 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I surely thought the "ignorance is bliss" argument would be made by now. I'm a little disappointed in the lefties here at the moment. I guess the quick wit stopped at Kerry /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Sack </div></div>

Sorry. We can't all be as hilarious as Rush Limberger.
Maybe we don't take enough pills.

LWW
08-08-2008, 06:31 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wally_in_Cincy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Conservatives are generally happy.

Liberals are angry.

Hence the difference. </div></div>
I'm surprised that more people havem't noticed the obvious, but IMHO Wally has the root cause.

The base of conservatism is that America is a nation which provides each citizen with the opportunity to lift themselves as far as their talents and work ethic allow. Thus, those among us who do a 40 and out work week aren't disgusted when someone who does 80+ for 30 years ends up with a stout 6 figure income.

The base of liberalism is that everyone is owed the same wealth regardless of their talents and efforts. Hence, they are bitter that one person lives in the mansion on the hill while another sits on death row ... and anyone who has achieved more than someone else is because of:

- They cheated.

- They were born into it.

- They got lucky.

while at the same time the guy on death row must be there because of:

- Racism.

- Sexism.

- Homophobia.

- Political oppression.

- Bad luck.

The fact that the rich guy at a young age decided to get an educationm stay straight, work hard, do right, and succeed has nothing to do with it.

The fact that the guy on death row decided at a young age to quit school, do drugs, rob rather than work, do whatever they felt like, and eventually kill has nothing to do with it.

LWW

wolfdancer
08-08-2008, 08:56 AM
".. like the studies that show liberals don't give and that they have weirder but less fullfuling sex lives."
Ok, you have probably never done it wearing a skin tight latex body suit, and on the other hand,occasionally liberals do it with the lights on....but you are now claiming that the government is in our bedrooms, rating the strength of our orgasms, to prove that becoming a Republican is the way to go?
How then do you account for some of these "incidents" that involve your satiated right wing pols???
As soon as I finish my own research....http://hustler.com/mansion1/?cs=1&u=http://hustler.com/mansion1/&s=9&p=2&w=420901&t=7&c=0
I'll report back on my findings
On another related topic...I watched "State of the Union" last nite, and now think that Ice Cube is an even badder ass then Arnold...and therefore might make a great Governor of a fine state such as yours

Deeman3
08-08-2008, 09:19 AM

We know better than to elect action heros in Alabama. Hell, here even the democrats have to call themselves, conservative, Christian hunters to have a chance. As well, seeing that a very high percentage of our govenors (100% for the democrats) end up in prison and a slightly smaller percentage are shot in office, Ice Tea, Ice Cube amd Ice Muffin will all just have to try to replace the Governator out there.

As for the latex, skin tight body suit, that was a long time ago. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

sack316
08-08-2008, 10:39 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I surely thought the "ignorance is bliss" argument would be made by now. I'm a little disappointed in the lefties here at the moment. I guess the quick wit stopped at Kerry /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Sack </div></div>

Sorry. We can't all be as hilarious as Rush Limberger.
Maybe we don't take enough pills. </div></div>

FWIW Hondo, I don't even like him. I avoid sight and sound of him almost as religiously as I do Nancy Grace.

I may have been a bit harsh in saying it stopped with Kerry. Obama has thrown out a few good yokes recently ( besides some of his ideas, actually intended jokes, I mean).

Sack

sack316
08-08-2008, 10:40 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">:)

We know better than to elect action heros in Alabama. Hell, here even the democrats have to call themselves, conservative, Christian hunters to have a chance. As well, seeing that a very high percentage of our govenors (100% for the democrats) end up in prison and a slightly smaller percentage are shot in office, Ice Tea, Ice Cube amd Ice Muffin will all just have to try to replace the Governator out there.

As for the latex, skin tight body suit, that was a long time ago. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

Depends who you ask. Some here would consider Wallace an action hero /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sack- could so pull off the latex body suit look

mike60
08-08-2008, 09:06 PM
Just for the hell of it:

james kopp doing forever as some guy's bitch

i never get tired of that,

miguel /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sick.gif