PDA

View Full Version : Poll on alcohol consumption during leagues

08-10-2002, 11:47 AM
I'm trying to gather some statistics and would appreciate anyone's help: How much alcohol do you consume during a typical league night? What about your team mates? What's the most popular brand that people consume in your area and what region of the country are you in?

Thanks,
Fran

Barbara
08-10-2002, 12:24 PM
Well, when I did play, I had 4 beers over the course of 4 hours. Maybe a jello shot or two (there's ALWAYS room for jello!) after I was done shooting.

My teammates all drank Coors light except for the captain, she had to be different.

Barbara

08-10-2002, 01:42 PM
Fran,

I play on a men's team, and although I very rarely drink anything containing alcohol on league night, they more than make up for my abstinence! Mostly they drink beer, Coors Light (1), Bud Light (1) and Miller Lite (2). I would guess that they put away at least a case between them.

There are a couple of other teams in our division that keep up with ours in the drinking department. But there are also several teams that don't seem to do much drinking at all. Over all, I would guess that Miller Lite and Bud Light are the most popular beers around here.

Our team placed 2nd in the Open Division of our BCA State Championships this year (what a BLAST!) and over the course of two days, these 4 guys drank a whopping 7 CASES of beer! I did drink a few that weekend, though. If it weren't for the adrenaline, they would all have passed out long before the finals! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Hope this is what you were looking for.
Karla (Iowa)

BLACKHEART
08-10-2002, 02:39 PM
I captained a team a few years ago that added 1 more player the the roster. His job was "BEER RUNNER". We played Sunday afternoon, Monday nights & Tuesday nights in leagues( we were asked nicely by our wives to cut back on the pool or see a lawyer, we dropped one nite). We qualified in our APA league for a trip to Vegas. At 3:30 in the morning I got up to go to the bathroom & happened to look out over the pool area. There were 6 members of my team along with 4 of their wives in the hot tub with a MOUNTAIN of empty 12 packs stacked up next to them. My wife & I had left them at midnight thinking we were all headed for bed. The next day we had a match at 9 AM. Were won the 1st 3 & where did we go... of course to the bar to celebrate. We had a memorable week there & took 16th place out of some 350 teams...JER

Rich R.
08-10-2002, 02:57 PM
Fran, in the year and a half I have been playing in leagues, I believe I have had less than 10 alcohol drinks, mostly beer, on a league night. The brand changes, depending on where I'm playing and what they have. Because I don't drink often, while playing, I lean toward the premium beers, Sam Adams, if available.
Others on my teams, and the rest of the league, do drink their share of beer, mostly the popular brands like Bud, Bud Lite, Coors Lite and Miller. One of those beers is on special on my league night in that room. One team member prefers a little gin and tonic. There are also others on my teams that do not, or rarely, drink alcohol.
Rich R.

stickman
08-10-2002, 03:27 PM
The team I played on and had the most fun was a beer drinking bunch. League night was a night out for the boys. I don't think I ever drank less than a twelve pack and often more. We won our local and flopped at the regionals, but we had a grand time. The alcohol consuption varies from team to team. The one I'm on now is a little more serious, but I still have fun. I may drink nothing or I may have a few. Since I have to drive a ways, I am very conservative where drinking is concerned now. Every team I've played on has been different. My drink of choice is Busch. The brand varies from one individual to another, but Busch is very popular here in Southeast Kansas.

Ken
08-10-2002, 03:32 PM
Fran, I don't play in league. It's too far away and I couldn't stand the smoke but if I happen to be in the room on league night I will take advantage of the extended happy hour prices by saying I am a player and having about 4 beers.

It's a long drive back and I want to score low on the breathalyzer. Cops at night are vultures. If they see you leave a bar they will tailgate you and if you do the speed limit you will be pulled over. They assume that anyone driving carefully at night must be drunk. I know, I scored zero on the test but I'm still charged with drunk driving in Florida. I've been told that the prosecutor will not bring the case to court but he obviously has no intention of informing me and the stupid judges simply ignore any motion for dismissal I submit. We are living in a police state and the police come from the same group that the criminals come from. Just watch the videos of the police that are showing up on TV.
KenCT

Barbara
08-10-2002, 04:10 PM
JER,

I'm going to miss my girlfriends on League nights, but not the smoke. My sinuses just can't take it anymore.

This is where I love Allen Hopkins Jr's "Running Out" T-shirt - "My drinking team has a pool problem".

I waited too late to get a matched set for my buddies last Expo! /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif!

Barbara~~~loves that line to pieces!!!

08-10-2002, 06:03 PM
Fran- I play on 3 different teams in Iowa- Mon, Tues and Wed. on Mon, I drink 2-3 gin and tonics in the course of thevening, and my teammates drink beer- 1 of them usually a few too many by the end of the night, the other 2 moderately.
Tues, I drink 2-3 gin and tonics, the other woman on the team has a few maergaritas, one of the guys drinks bud lite, with an occasional beam and coke, and the other drinks coors lite.
on Wed, I drink 3-4 gin and tonics, and the rest of the team drinks pitchers of bud lite. (quite a few pitchers, usually- Wed is our fun night!)
The other teams range from non-drinking or moderate to a few who definitely use league night as party night- the moderate drinkers tend to fare better overall in play. (there are always a few exceptions!)Overall, the most popular beer in our area seems to be bud lite or miller lite. Patti

Doctor_D
08-10-2002, 06:12 PM
Good evening Fran:

When I competed on APA leagues, during the Spring of 2001, my team mates, as well as those on the opposing teams, consumed on average Four (4) to Six (4) bottles of beer each. Personally, since I am a scotch drinker, I always waited until AFTER my match was completed. Once completed, One (1) or Two (2) McCallan's single malts were defnitely in order.

Dr. D.

08-11-2002, 06:48 AM
Thanks all, for the info. I didn't expect to see too many responses, and I was right. I suppose that not too many people would be willing to share information about their drinking habits, at least not unless they're anonymous, and maybe not even then. I'll be continuing with my research and I hope to have some very interesting information to report when I'm done.

Fran

bluewolf
08-11-2002, 07:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Fran Crimi:</font><hr> Thanks all, for the info. I didn't expect to see too many responses, and I was right. I suppose that not too many people would be willing to share information about their drinking habits, at least not unless they're anonymous, and maybe not even then. I'll be continuing with my research and I hope to have some very interesting information to report when I'm done.

Fran <hr></blockquote>

my husband doest drink but he thinks folks in his league drink 3-4 beers unless they are non drinkers

bluewolf

08-11-2002, 09:05 AM
My team plays on Wed. nights, in central Florida. I order one Bud Light when I walk in the door and don't drink another until after my match. If I have an early match, I might drink a couple more through the night. If I play the last match, I do not drink any more.
2 of my team mates do not drink, 2 others will have several drinks during the night. My wife may have one drink depending on her mood.

Ryan
08-11-2002, 10:52 AM
Our team plays in the Midwest, and we have 8 players on the team. We mainly stick with beer, and the preference/consumption of each player is as follows:

1. Myself - Budweiser - 2 or 3 max
2. Miller Lite - 3 max
3. Miller Lite - 4 average
4. Bud Light - 2 average
5. Coors Light - 2 average
6. Budweiser - 5 average
7. Two Dogs - 3 average
8. Non-drinker

As a whole, I find Miller Lite to be the most popular beer in my area, followed closely by Budweiser.

heater451
08-11-2002, 11:24 AM
When I lived in California, I was part of a 'traveling' league. We played on 7-foot bar tables, and we all drank. I personally drank everything from Budweiser and Corona, through 7-and-7s, Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Maker's Mark, Gin and Tonic/Ginger-ale (Tanqueray, usually), and I very often would have shots of Bacardi 151, with a Coke back--(BTW, I can blow a 4-8 foot fireball). You could sometimes figure shots of Jagermeister in there on occasion as well, or simple Rum and Cokes/Cube Libres. Back then, I could drink and play, as long as I started playing first--had to get a 'baseline'.

The rest of the team were more (domestic) beer drinkers, but we did have one Scotch drinker for a few sessions, and the team Captain stuck to Rolling Rock beers--Incidentally, she usually only had two for 'away' games, as she was our taxi, and was not going to take a chance with her license, or smacking up the Hudson that she'd take us to the matches with. . . .

Nowadays, I live in Atlanta, and I have to drive to play, so I limit myself to two drinks per night. Most often, I just have Captain Morgan and Coke, since it's lower percentage alcohol than average. Secondary choices run back to Gin, and I will sometimes imbibe some whiskey (Bushmills, Jameson), or have the occasional Scotch (which I am acquiring a taste for, but it still makes me sleepy. . . .). The rest of the team is more of a Bud/Corona/Amstel Light group.

Overall, however, I find that drinking hurts my game more now, as I went from playing/drinking every night, to playing once a week on league.--If you want to play drunk, you have to practice that as well!

. . .I had much more fun playing, while living in Cali. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

============================

Sid_Vicious
08-11-2002, 12:50 PM
Fran...I've been in Dallas leagues for 5 or more years and when I started I thought about aptly naming the team "Bucket Brigade." Skillman had and still has 4 beers in a bucket of ice for a cut rate, one guy drank Coors Lite, 2 others(self) Miller Lite, a girl and one guy I had on the team drank wine by the glass and one wine drinker eventually moved up to some kind of Baileys mix(God why I don't have a clue) and Budwiser was a choice by another of my solid players player. There was a relentless bucket stream most any league match, "Hey you want to split a bucket...Hell yes!" We lost a lot of matches but had a ball. Other teams also had a more avid group of drinkers, and I enjoyed playing against them much more than the non drinkers. The non drinkers were "serious" about winning to the point of living around what it took to win. I got into leagues to have an evening to horsing around, winning wasn't so serious, but I wanted to improve, don't get me wrong. Seems to me that the reasons people play league now is due to winning, which creates a by-product of chasing off some of the startup teams due to getting their brains bashed every league night. Do I fault the non drinkers? No. Did league participation pale over the last several years? Yes. I feel that the general slap happy fun factor has diminished, drinking is conducive to letting go and less of it steals away the fun at some level and below(imo.)

Now the leagues are seemingly quiet with booze. A few people have 2-3 "somethings" and some just one. I see it as an overall condition between most teams except for a couple of the startup teams. They, like my team from the past mostly came from bars hence they were drinkers with experience.

So as I see it, many players(even out of league) who once drank heavily, are laying low on the booze. Of course I still lose more than my share of my games, you could guess part or most of why that is...sid~~~thinks league drink specials would generate more fun

Ryan
08-11-2002, 03:10 PM
The place where we shot last week happened to have drink specials on league night. Believe me, $1.00 draws (Budweiser, Miller Lite, Bud Light, Coors Light) made the evening MUCH more fun for all.

Even though the tables there were rotten (more rolls than a bakery), the team that we shot against was a great group of guys and we had a great time.

phil in sofla
08-11-2002, 04:03 PM
I generally have two beers, one in the second and one in the third set, and I drink Michelob Lite. One or two of our players drink sodas or water all night long, two drink Miller Lite, one drinks Coors Lite, and one, Budweiser. I estimate the other beer drinkers on the team have about 4 in about 3 hours. If we stick around after the match, we all have a couple more.

Other teams vary, from water/coffee/soda guys mainly, to two-fisted beer drinkers. No real pattern. If it happens to be a full liquor bar, you see some mixed drink fans with vodka drinks seeming to be the favorites (screwdrivers, vodka tonic, etc.)

This is a league in Broward County, in the greater Fort Lauderdale area.

Alfie
08-11-2002, 04:53 PM
Q- How much alcohol do you consume during a typical league night?

A- No alcohol, strictly soda pop.

Q- What about your team mates?

A- About 3 bottles apiece (average, that's 9 bottles for the team), some are more into the marijuana thing.

Q- What's the most popular brand that people consume in your area?

A- If you are talking about beer, Bud and Bud Light. If you are not talking about beer, I have no idea.

Q- What region of the country are you in?

A- southern US

Do you have a hypothesis, Frances?

Fred Agnir
08-12-2002, 06:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Fran Crimi:</font><hr> Thanks all, for the info. I didn't expect to see too many responses, and I was right. I suppose that not too many people would be willing to share information about their drinking habits, at least not unless they're anonymous, and maybe not even then. I'll be continuing with my research and I hope to have some very interesting information to report when I'm done.<hr></blockquote>
As a pool and a beer enthusiast, I (at times) regrettably mix the two all too often.

Sometimes I drink. Sometimes I don't. Not all my players drink, so going either way is an easier option. If everyone else is drinking (alcohol), it's natural to partake (please nobody get on some unrealistic holier-than-though psychology strenth-of-will post).

All that being said, when I do drink, it's prolly somewhere around 4 pints.

Fred

Kato
08-12-2002, 07:08 AM
As both a pool and beer lover I say to you YES, I partake. Usually in the 4 beer range per league evening. It would be more but I have to watch my figure/ccboard/images/icons/tongue.gif.

Kato~~~in shape, hey, a pear is a shape.

Kato
08-12-2002, 07:11 AM
My teammates? Bunch a lushes.

Kato

=k=
08-12-2002, 07:54 AM
hello fran.
myself usally iced tea. once in a while a mixed drink tequilla and grapefruit juice. one, two at most.
wife one rum and coke. then soda.
player #3 two hieniken (sp) player #4 you name it usally three drinks.. #5 three bud lights #6 new player two beers so far. =k=

Wally_in_Cincy
08-12-2002, 07:54 AM
A lot of the folks in our league don't drink as much as they used to. But they still average 4 or 5 drinks.

Monday night team:
Me-4 beers in 4 hours (Bud or Michelob)
2. 3 Beam and 7up
3. 5 pints Bud Light
4. 5 pints Bud Light
5. 6 Mich Light
6. 4 Captain Morgan and Coke
7. Coke
8. 3 Bud Light

Thursday night:

Me- 4 Buds
2. 4 Mac and 7
3. Mountain Dew
4. 5 Buds
5. 4 Jack and Coke
6. 2 glasses white Zin
7. 3 Bud Light

Some other teams drink a little more, some less.

The heavier drinkers do not drive.

Most popular here: Definitely Bud Light

08-12-2002, 08:01 AM

bluewolf
08-12-2002, 08:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: whitewolf:</font><hr> I do not drink on league nights. My teammates drink 5 to 6 beers on the average. Corona is popular. Bud and bud light. Mid-eastern US. <hr></blockquote>

i do not drink either at leagues or any other time.

bluewolf

08-12-2002, 08:40 AM

bluewolf
08-12-2002, 08:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: whitewolf:</font><hr> (1) Do they have leagues in England?

(2) How much do they drink there? <hr></blockquote>

a lot

bluewolf

PQQLK9
08-12-2002, 09:37 AM
Mind your Ps and Qs

Meaning: Behave properly.
Example: Since drunk driving arrest, he has been minding his Ps and Qs.
Origin: Comes from the early pub days when beer and ale was served in pint and quart containers. The tab was kept on a chalkboard used to count the pints and quarts consumed. To watch your Ps and Qs is to control your alcoholic intake and behavior.

dddd
08-13-2002, 09:14 PM
hello
i know i cannot play with alcohol
this i know for sure, my fine aim and focus just go out the window...
on fridays i will have a drink when it about time for me to leave, about 6 hours playing time generally.

but i will not drink when its important for me to be aware and able to perform.

i have had a drink and continued to play but when performance begins to drop off and i do notice this
i will seldom play more that a hour longer before stopping
due to inability...

drinking alcohol is not something i can get away with,
it does not treat me well and i do not like the results
so i have a reason not to drink often normally only once a week, and perhaps some with dinner. and never when in the heat of competition....

bye for now...
dddd

CarolNYC
08-14-2002, 04:16 AM
This is interesting!On my league,individual 9-ball, I have not noticed anyone drinking during their match-maybe after! I do not drink when I play!I had a "dreamteam" a few years ago,of which I was captain with 5 men who were the best local bar-players(strictly bar-box tables-8-ball) in my area and we were champions-undefeated!We did not drink until after we won-maybe one or two teammates had a few Coors lights, but thats because they played BETTER when they had a drink-what I would like to know is:
1)How many feel they play better after having a few drinks?
2)Did confrontations arise with opposing teams BECAUSE they were drinking?
On this bar-league I played, some people were Jekyll&amp;Hydes-very nice before they drank and then total idiots after they drank and the alcohol and pool did not mix-believe me when I say I had to face off with too many teams who OVER consumed-Unbelieveable!The aggravation wasnt worth it, so the last year we played,we swept the entire league and won EVERY trophy the league offered and then retired!:)Just wondering if it was the same predicament in other states, but GLAD to see most of the posts are happy times!
Carol~just received phone call from old teammate who
hit someone with his cue:(

cheesemouse
08-14-2002, 06:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Fran Crimi:</font><hr> I'm trying to gather some statistics and would appreciate anyone's help: How much alcohol do you consume during a typical league night? What about your team mates? What's the most popular brand that people consume in your area and what region of the country are you in?

Thanks,
Fran <hr></blockquote>
Fran,
I play in one local weekly in town league and one traveling league which plays once a month. My area of the country is the Plains. The weekly is played on a Tuesday night and we play just one team match. Most of the players are beer drinkers and I would guess they each have 4-6 beers with Bud/Miller being the popular beers. The traveling league is on a Saturday and we travel to a town in the middle of the state where teams from around the state meet and play four team matches. Play starts around 11am and ends at approximately 8pm. Most teams travel together in one vehicle and someone is a designated driver as from past history they all know that by the end of the day the whole thing turns into a Sodom and Gamora(sp) scene. At the end of scheduled play the happy and not so happy teams have wolfing matches trying to match up for gambling challenge matches. It is a scene right out of a Falenni(sp) film and, to me, very amusing. Out here in the Plains in the dead of Winter these Saturdays full of pool are looked forward to as a cut-loose day of pool and, boy, they do. My team normally finds ourselves driving the 90 miles home at 3 or 4 in the morning with four drunks talking, screaming, lying, laughing about real or unreal things that happened, waving their arms playing air pool while the poor driver tries to keep it between the ditches, if he's lucky some of the guys will pass out. Good times!!!!!!!