PDA

View Full Version : Books in the news

wolfdancer
08-10-2008, 01:08 PM
There is one quote from the following that says it all for me:
"...These things would be troubling no matter which party the president belonged to. Being able to take a step back from blind party allegiance to actually see when there is a problem is a key factor in maintaining a healthy democracy. No leader deserves our blind allegiance, regardless of their political party affiliation. Our elected leaders should be accountable to us, not the other way around......"
( but if the board here is a microcosm of party allegiances....)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"The End of America"

This latest offering from best-selling author Wolf, The Beauty Myth, is a harbinger of an age that may finally see the patriarchal realm of political discourse usurped. Here is Wolf's compellingly and cogently argued political argument for civil rights, not women's rights. She contributes this call to action to a canon that from Plato and Aristotle to Hobbes and Locke and forward, with a few exceptions (e.g., Hannah Arendt), has been largely populated by men. Wolf's work is actually closer to the agitated, passionate polemics of Emma Goldman than the ponderous, philosophical musings of Arendt. Readers will appreciate her energy and urgency as she warns we are living through a dangerous "fascist shift" brought about by the Bush administration. Her chapters outline the "Ten Steps to Fascism" citing historical corollaries (as well as the pigs in Orwell's Animal Farm), with headings like "Invoke an External and Internal Threat," "Establish Secret Prisons," and "Target Key Individuals." In other words, fascism can exist without dictatorship. Her book's publication through a small press in Vermont that is committed to "the politics and practice of sustainable living" rather than through a large trade house is itself a political act. Highly recommended for all collections.

Review
"One of the most important books that's been written, certainly in the last decade or two, and perhaps in my lifetime."
-- Thom Hartmann, best-selling author and host of The Thom Hartmann Radio Program

"Naomi Wolf 's End of America is a vivid, urgent, mandatory wake-up call that addresses momentous issues of tyranny, democracy, and survival."
-Blanche Wiesen Cook, author of the three-volume Eleanor Roosevelt

"Naomi Wolf sounds the alarm for all American patriots. We must come together as a nation and recommit ourselves to the fundamental American idea that no president, whether Democrat or Republican, will ever be given unchecked power."
-Wes Boyd, co-founder, MoveOn.org

"The framers of our Constitution fully understood that it can happen here. Patriots like Madison, Paine, and Franklin would certainly applaud Naomi Wolf and recognize her as a sister in their struggle."
-Mark Crispin Miller, author of Fooled Again

"You will be shocked and disturbed by this book. Most Americans reject outright any comparison of post 9/11 America with the fascism and totalitarianism of Nazi Germany or Pinochet's Chile. Sadly, the parallels and similarities, what Wolf calls the `echoes' between those societies and America today, are all too compelling."
-Michael Ratner, Center for Constitutional Rights

I was thoroughly frightened by the content of this book, and truly hope others are as well. The path we are headed down in this country should be concerning to both Democrats and Republicans. Loss of our liberties will, after all, affect all of us. I would urge anyone who reads this to keep an open mind, and not immediately discard the message she is conveying simply because it focuses on troubling things being done by the current administration. These things would be troubling no matter which party the president belonged to. Being able to take a step back from blind party allegiance to actually see when there is a problem is a key factor in maintaining a healthy democracy. No leader deserves our blind allegiance, regardless of their political party affiliation. Our elected leaders should be accountable to us, not the other way around.

Americans have sadly taken democracy for granted. The author of this book sends a necessary letter of warning to get Americans to realize that the continuation of democracy depends on the participation and action of citizens. Ms. Wolf's book identifies 10 steps that have historically been used to shut down open societies and how those steps are currently being taken in our nation today. If you are thinking that sounds harsh, this book will surprise you with its research, argument and facts. If you've been feeling in recent years that something is just not right, Ms. Wolf cites historical examples and recent newspaper articles to demonstrate why you are sensing an erosion of rights and justice. This is a brave book and I applaud Ms. Wolf for caring enough about our country to write it. The American people have now been warned that our democracy is more delicate than we think. Time will tell if collectively people care enough to respond in a way that prevents the "fascist shift" Wolf outlines in this shocking new book.

Not quite yet, but perhaps we're close. Naomi Wolf has written a book that fills a significant need at this point in our history. She sounds the call to warn American citizens...warn us that we may be slowly metamorphosing into that which we despise most: a country that bullies its citizens and is unaccountable to any recognized authority.

While some will see this book as alarmist --and reasonable people could debate this-- one of her points is undoubtedly true. That is, the decent into a repressive regime is slow and quiet. It usually does not come as an overnight announcement of martial law or suspension of elections. Instead, it happens over the course of years, so quietly that most may never notice until it's a fait accompli. Only then will people ask "how did this happen?".

Wolf compares and contrasts recent events in American history with those in Communist Russia, fascist Italy and Nazi Germany. This will undoubtedly put some readers off as any one of these references is a hot button that, once pushed, inflames blinding emotion. However, if you can get past that, the parallels are disquieting...even when read with a skeptical eye.

I hope that when I re-read this review in two years that I will be able to say that my concerns about torture, secret prisons, warrantless eavesdropping, a cowed media, and all the rest have faded away. If not, I'll have to acknowledge the prescience of Wolf's thesis.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

And the authors of the next book were particularly scathing on how the media props up Bush
"The Kingmakers: How the Media Threatens Our Security and Our Democracy"
...while they made it seem he piloted the jet to get on board the Carrier for the now famous "Mission Accomplished" photo...he was a passenger, and while it was claimed that the carrier was too far out at sea to arrive by helicopter...truth is the media avoided taking photos which would have shown the nearby city in the background. That was minor compared to writing that the great Presidents of the past would not have hid like a coward after 9/11....but the media instead made GW look like a hero. (Tried to, but the video of him reading to the kids with a dumbfounded look on his face...I didn't need this book to figure out what kind of a man he really is)

Former Senator Gravel and Eisenbach collaborate in this searing denunciation of the American media, which they posit is the biggest threat to our democracy. According to the authors, the media marginalize dissenting voices and fail to provide the public with accurate news coverage, being content with regurgitating unconfirmed and often blatantly untrue reports from establishment figures. The authors dissect the media echo chamber and contagion of lazy journalism, debunking the lies and half-truths that they argue the media have accepted without scrutiny and irresponsibly repeated to the public. In frightening detail, this book illustrates how political elites manipulated the media to deceive the world about Iraq's weapons of mass destruction and attempt to pursue war with Iran, using staged photo ops (George W. Bush posing under the Mission Accomplished banner) and fabricating events as in the case of the eventually disproved account of Pvt. Jessica Lynch's heroics. The authors call for participatory journalism, which will empower Americans to engage in online political debate. This important book is a valuable contribution to that debate and ought to be essential reading for all Americans. --Publishers Weekly

Product Description
WHO PUT THE MEDIA IN CHARGE?
Why does the media always blow the big stories? From 9/11 to Iraq's WMDs, from Iran's nuclear program to the inevitable Hillary Clinton the divide between reality and the so-called news has never been more dramatic or dangerous.
In The Kingmakers Senator Mike Gravel and Dr. David Eisenbach argue that the media's failure to present the public with an accurate view of the world poses a greater threat to American lives than terrorism. They also show how the greatest threat to our democracy is not money. It's the media. Long before the majority of voters pay attention to presidential elections, the media Kingmakers filter the presidential field and anoint the leading candidates.

"The Kingmakers: How the Media Threatens Our Security and Our Democracy"
Gravel and Eisenbach propose a powerful antidote to the Kingmakers' poisonous influence on American politics participatory journalism. Blogs, chat rooms, virtual worlds and Internet contributions have empowered ordinary citizens to change the course of American history and inaugurate a new wave of democratization that America hasn't seen since the Jacksonian era.

sack316
08-10-2008, 09:15 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is one quote from the following that says it all for me:
"...These things would be troubling no matter which party the president belonged to. Being able to take a step back from blind party allegiance to actually see when there is a problem is a key factor in maintaining a healthy democracy. No leader deserves our blind allegiance, regardless of their political party affiliation. Our elected leaders should be accountable to us, not the other way around......"
( but if the board here is a microcosm of party allegiances....)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

</div></div>

Of note here, as far as this board goes: Just because those sitting on this side of the fence don't Bush bash all day long, doesn't mean we swear allegiance to him either. In fact, I'd dare say at some point or another each republican that posts here has gone as far to say some kind of negative image they have of Bush and the job he's done. Even LWW has.

I agree, we each have our party allegiance. But we don't blindly follow it to hell on the coattails of Bush/Cheney. Most of us here don't think Bush has done a good job, right or left. Just because those of us on the right choose to defend the right, doesn't mean we necessarily praise Bush. Same goes for when we choose to say negatives about the left. What I'm trying to say is, just because myself and others are whole heartedly republican... it doesn't stop there and that's the end period. And if ya think the liked of LWW or eg8r or whoever can stand firm (to put it lightly) I'm sure we could point ya places that would show you just how open minded the right that frequents this board really is. And to be fair, that goes as well for the left here.

But then again, what do I know? My horse on the left was Edwards, and we saw how that has turned out. We, as conservatives on this board may well stand pretty pat in what we think and believe overall... but those working for the left haven't done a whole helluva lot to change our minds either. Just because we like to point that out, doesn't mean we heil Bush.

Sack

LWW
08-11-2008, 05:58 AM
You miss the fact that they live in a black and white universe.

If you agree with B-B-B-BOOOOSH! on what TV show you will watch tonight then you are a Bushie and agree with him on everything, real and imagined, without hesitation.

OTOH if you disgreee with DNC dogma on a single issue then you are a traitor and a Bushie. Ask Dennis Lieberman if you don't believe me.

There exists no gray in that mindset nor any room for free thought, expression, or debate.

LWW

wolfdancer
08-11-2008, 07:19 AM
another idiotic post, with zero thought behind it.
If you didn't agree with the authors...come up with something intelligent at least, to voice your thoughts.....

Gayle in MD
08-11-2008, 11:15 AM
My problem with the right is that they fail to acknowledge the full and far reaching damage that this administration has committed.

McCain is clearly aproving of Bush's general foreign policies, yet it has been his foreign policies which have created the most damage to our country, both financially, and globally in terms of dealing with terrorists.

Yet, some Republicans are still going to go out and vote for him because he is a Republican. And, some Republicans still defend even his most damaging actions, including those which fly in the fact of Democratic principles, such as torture, spying on Americans, and exploiting the worst attack on our shores since the founding fathers wrote the Constitution.

For some of us, Republican policies are akin to fascism, and authoritarian regimes. Some Americans see the dangers of Republican escapades and policies, from Nixon, to Reagan, to both Bush's, as being far more threatening to our democratic principles than the right does, and their foreign policies having created very devastating consequences wich we are dealing with today.

When a President fails to respond in any way to cirtical intelligence which is given in unprecedented emergency warnings,
that we are about to be attacked, with airplanes, and by whom, and does nothing about it, the public has a right, and a responability to highlight his incompetence and negligence. There has still not been a true and complete investigation into his first major failure in office.

The Republican reactions to Nixon's impeachment have been outrageous, from their ham handed and illegal and failed impeachment of Clinton, along with the exhorbitant costs involved, over non governmental actions which did not create any national threat, nor involve government illegalities, to the all out efforts by Cheney, Feith, Card, both layers from the office of legal council, the department of justice, and on and on, have had a major impact on the checks and balances of our government, and the limiting of executive power.

My issues with the Republicans, and this president, go far beyond pure partisan bashing, they involve the very essence of American principles, the Constitution of our country, and future of our government, and the power of the office of the presidency.

Bush has damaged America, with the support of his party. It hasn't been like Nixon's impeachable offenses, bad as they were, Bush's have been worse. And, when Nixon damaged our country, there were Republicans around who had some integrity and appreciation for the Constitution, and the rule of law, and there was a bi-partisan effort to protect and rpeserve our Constitution, and the rule of law.

That hasn't been true this time. The Republican Party has supported every illegal, immoral action of George Bush, from his hiding inappropriately behind executive priveledge, to block investigations, to his actual breaking of the law.

I see Republicans, and the Christian Coalition, as the greatest threat to our country in existence, save a nuclear attack, or altercation with an nuclear armed al Qaeda, ro such things as Russia, Iran (and possibly China) forging together to cut off our oil, a more likely threat now, than ever before, thanks to Republican Policies.

Gayle in Md.

wolfdancer
08-11-2008, 12:06 PM
Bush is now looking pretty silly threatening Russia over the Georgia conflict.
Our Army is stretched so thin, we couldn't put down an uprising in Grenada.
I guess we could send in the Palace guard, Blackwater
Imagine that, Bush's private army, and literally above the law.
The Clinton's had Whitewater....I think less dangerous to our freedom.

Gayle in MD
08-11-2008, 12:16 PM
Yeah, Gotta hand it to those Republicans, they know when our national security is threatened! There's nothing more dangerous than real estate deals, travel plans, and a BJ! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif
Why, forty million was a bargain, and that was just one of their investigations.

They were a joke!

Remember the old days, when it was a bi-partisan effort to investigate Nixon for breaking the law, over and over and over again?

Actually one of the charges against Nixon was lying and misleading the Congress about Cambodia! some things never change. Canbodia, Iran/Contra, Iraq, all about Republican lies.

That was the old days, when there were some Goldwater Conservatives around. Nothing left now but the fascists, and the religious nuts.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

wolfdancer
08-11-2008, 07:58 PM
"nor any room for free thought, expression, or debate."
Shirley, you can't be serious !!!
You're a reformed druggie, right??? ...because you almost make sense...sometimes.
A debate though, with you?????? what would I have to spot you to make it even...the equivalent of the 3 and out???