PDA

View Full Version : Powell To Support Obama? McCain Would = WWIV

Gayle in MD
08-14-2008, 10:33 AM
<span style="color: #000066">Gee, If McCain is so great on Foreign Policy, how come all the former foreign policy experts seem to be backing Obama? Powell, Brzezinski, Albright, Scowcroft... </span>

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/08/13/brzezinksi-i-expect-powel_n_118775.html

Former national security adviser Zbigniew Brzezinski tells the Huffington Post that he "expects" Gen. Colin Powell to endorse Barack Obama for president.

Late Wednesday afternoon, the political world skipped a heartbeat when Fox pundit and eminent neoconservative Bill Kristol predicted that former Gen. Colin Powell would endorse Barack Obama, and even potentially speak at the Democratic National Convention.

In response to an emailed question, Brzezinski agreed with Kristol about the endorsement, writing simply: "I sort of expect he [Powell] will."

Though he worked for President Carter, <span style="color: #000066">And Bush One, </span> Brzezinski keeps close relations with the "realist" camp of Republican foreign policy heavyweights like Bush 41 adviser Brent Scowcroft, who also worked with Powell. The Huffington Post reported earlier that Scowcroft has decided to stay neutral <span style="color: #000066">Scowcroft, a Republican who won'te endorse McCain? </span> in the presidential race instead of taking the more expected route and explicitly backing McCain.

UPDATE: A spokeswoman for Powell denies strongly that he will be at either convention, though seems to have stopped short of closing the door entirely on an Obama endorsement.

Another Article by Brzezinski Where he states that McCain would be WWIII....

Brzezinski, who has endorsed Obama, was far more critical of a few figures now surrounding McCain, who he suggested were pushing the presumptive GOP nominee towards a radical foreign policy on issues such as Iran.

"Well, if McCain is president and if his Secretary of State is Joe Lieberman and his Secretary of Defense is [Rudolph] Giuliani, we will be moving towards the World War IV that they have been both favoring and predicting," he said, calling that an "appalling concept" (and adding that by their lights, the Cold War counted as World War III). "So it depends on who are the principal officers. If it's [Richard] Armitage, or if it were to be Brent Scowcroft, I think it would be very different."

Asked who he would like to see in a potential Obama cabinet, Brzezinski said: "I think [Sen. Chuck] Hagel. I would like to see a bipartisan cabinet. I think we need one very badly -- and we did well in the Cold War when we had one. I would say Hagel and [Sen. Dick] Lugar would be very good Republicans [for Obama]." He also cited Sen. Joe Biden as a potential Secretary of State, in which case it would also be possible to "keep [Secretary of Defense Bob] Gates in the job for a few months."

Brzezinski said such a cabinet would be an important step in redressing the increased partisanship of foreign affairs in recent years, adding: "I think there is a tendency, because of the very complexity of the issues, for solutions to become polarized and more extreme. ... Republicans move toward neocon-ish formulas, and Democrats [follow] idealistically escapist formulas. In either case you don't end up with the necessary mix of idealism and realism."

wolfdancer
08-14-2008, 10:52 AM
A bipartison cabinet...it sounds like a great idea...but, it wouldn't have worked with GWB...nuff said

eg8r
08-14-2008, 11:14 AM
Gayle you have some serious gaps in your post...<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gee, If McCain is so great on Foreign Policy, how come all the former foreign policy experts seem to be backing Obama? Powell, Brzezinski, Albright, Scowcroft...
</div></div> Seeing the length of your post, I figured, hmmm maybe there is some proof in here so let's see.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Former national security adviser Zbigniew Brzezinski tells the Huffington Post that he "expects"<span style="color: red">Not sure what constitutes factual information for you but an expectation is hardly a vote for Obama</span> Gen. Colin Powell to endorse Barack Obama for president.

Late Wednesday afternoon, the political world skipped a heartbeat when Fox pundit and eminent neoconservative Bill Kristol predicted<span style="color: red">Again, not sure what constitutes factual information for you but a prediction is hardly a vote for Obama</span> that former Gen. Colin Powell would endorse Barack Obama, and even potentially speak at the Democratic National Convention.
</div></div>How about that update...<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">UPDATE: A spokeswoman for Powell denies strongly that he will be at either convention, though seems to have stopped short of closing the door entirely on an Obama endorsement.</div></div>Since the spokeswoman does not confirm or deny an Obama endorsement you run with the idea that he is pro-Obama. Amazing. <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Huffington Post reported earlier that Scowcroft has decided to stay neutral Scowcroft, a Republican who won'te endorse McCain? </div></div>Here is reference that Scowcroft is not backing McCain, but there is zero reference that he is backing Obama. In fact he is staying neutral.

You can sure twist facts around with the best of them.

eg8r &lt;~~~doesn't care who these guys choose, both options suck.

Gayle in MD
08-14-2008, 09:23 PM
Ed,
If you look, you will see a question mark at the end of the title of this post.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Re: Powell To Support Obama? </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is reference that Scowcroft is not backing McCain, but there is zero reference that he is backing Obama. In fact he is staying neutral.
</div></div>

When a Republican statesman, such as Scowcroft does not back the candidate of his party, it generally means that he thinks the Democratic candidate will do a better job.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can sure twist facts around with the best of them.
</div></div>

You're hopeless.

eg8r
08-15-2008, 11:06 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you look, you will see a question mark at the end of the title of this post.</div></div>Don't play dumb here. We have seen your style for the past 8 years or so, there was no question in your mind.

eg8r

Gayle in MD
08-15-2008, 11:36 AM
You're full of it. A question mark has a meaning.

WE? Who is WE? Ed, you're hopeless. As usual, no legitimate point in your post.

G.

sack316
08-15-2008, 11:46 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You're full of it. A question mark has a meaning.

WE? Who is WE? Ed, you're hopeless. As usual, no legitimate point in your post.

G. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <span style="color: #000066">Gee, If McCain is so great on Foreign Policy, how come all the former foreign policy experts seem to be backing Obama? Powell, Brzezinski, Albright, Scowcroft... </span>
</div></div>

I am fairly certain it was that Ed was questioning moreso than the title of the thread. I could be wrong.

Sack

Deeman3
08-15-2008, 11:51 AM
While McCain might equal WW III, wouldn't Obama equal our unwillingness to fight it at all, a virtual forfeit, like France? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

wolfdancer
08-15-2008, 12:08 PM
We like to make fun of the French, but
"To stop the Germans in the First War France drafted every able bodied man age 16-49 into the army and they suffered 73% casualties and over two million killed. By the end of the war their spirit was gone and they were filling the ranks with ill-trained African mercenaries led by a handful of French NCO's and officers.

Even in WWII and Vietnam the French were scraping the bottom of the barrel. They had soldiers in the combat arms with one eye and one arm. "
And who doesn't like French jokes?
"What do you call a Frenchman with 1500 girlfriends?
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
Answer: A shepherd !!

Deeman3
08-15-2008, 12:19 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We like to make fun of the French, but
"To stop the Germans in the First War France drafted every able bodied man age 16-49 into the army and they suffered 73% casualties and over two million killed.
<span style="color: #FF0000">Wolf, You should also be aware that 97.3% of those French casualties were killed by bullets in the back as they ran away. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </span>

And who doesn't like French jokes?
"What do you call a Frenchman with 1500 girlfriends?
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
Answer: A shepherd !! </div></div>

How many gears does a French tank have?

4 - one forward and three reverse. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Gayle in MD
08-15-2008, 12:53 PM
No, but I don't think obama would go off half cocked with fake intelligence, that HE created and launch an illegal immoral war by conning our representatives to vote for it, with assurances and conditions which he never intended to keep.

I also don't think Obama is the kind of man who would abandon an invalid wife and family, because he was having a mid-life crises, and wanted some young blood, whose da da had plenty of money he could access to promote his opportunistic plans for his political future.

G.

Gayle in MD
08-15-2008, 12:59 PM
I don't agree. His statements indicated that he waas accusing me of intentionally trying to trump up the facts, when I was using a (?) from the start, and the word, "Seem" <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> how come all the former foreign policy experts seem to be backing Obama? </div></div> throughout.

Ed's intention is always the same. Muddy up the waters, and never address, or concede the point, and if you can degrade someone in the process, all the better. He's a Christian, you know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can sure twist facts around with the best of them.

Eg8r
</div></div>

eg8r
08-15-2008, 01:03 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You're full of it. A question mark has a meaning. </div></div>Not when we have 8 years of reading your posts.

If you don't know who we is then you probably are not included.

eg8r

eg8r
08-15-2008, 01:04 PM
She makes the statement that they were backing Obama and then posts a copy/paste to show differently. If Gayle cannot figure this out who on earth thinks she understands all these books she "reads"?

eg8r

eg8r
08-15-2008, 01:06 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ed's intention is always the same. Muddy up the waters, and never address, or concede the point, and if you can degrade someone in the process, all the better. He's a Christian, you know.</div></div>That is right gayle, I am a Christian, and you were caught in your own screw up. LOL, stick your head in the sand a little further gayle.

eg8r

Deeman3
08-15-2008, 01:06 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No, but I don't think obama would go off half cocked with fake intelligence, that HE created and launch an illegal immoral war by conning our representatives to vote for it, with assurances and conditions which he never intended to keep.

<span style="color: #FF0000">BUt we really don't know, do we? Obama has already threatened to use nukes if needed. Believe me, I don't hold that against him. But, he may be "tried" by the evil Russians, Iran or Dutch /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif and be sort of thrown into proving his street cred, so to speak. </span>

I also don't think Obama is the kind of man who would abandon an invalid wife and family, because he was having a mid-life crises, and wanted some young blood, whose da da had plenty of money he could access to promote his opportunistic plans for his political future.

I hope not as well, but as you know, he and Bill are scheduled to spend a little down time together at the convention. We can just hope Bill doesn't show him all the ropes. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif [/color]

</div></div>

eg8r
08-15-2008, 01:07 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I also don't think Obama is the kind of man who would abandon an invalid wife and family, because he was having a mid-life crises, and wanted some young blood, whose da da had plenty of money he could access to promote his opportunistic plans for his political future.
</div></div>Uh oh, your double standard is showing again? Haven't you told us more than once that a man's personal affairs should be kept private? You cannot stay true to your own BS. LOL

eg8r

Gayle in MD
08-15-2008, 01:14 PM
Ed,
This is why I eventually always put you back on total ignore. I'm not running for anything, and don't have a campaign to keep up with all your idiotic accusations against me.

I've said that a man's private sexual affairs ought to be left private. I am not the media. If they bring these things out in the daylight, I, like you, have opinions on them.

Go soak your twirling head. <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You cannot stay true to your own BS. LOL

</div></div> You're still calling Valarie a secretary.

Gayle in MD
08-15-2008, 01:21 PM
Anything is possible. Atleast we'll have someone with a high I.Q. calling the shots, instead of another C student, who can't speak english, or pronounce the names of the leaders of foreign countries, or keep it straight which countries don't even exist anymore, or who is fighting whom, in an illegal war that he supports.

eg8r
08-15-2008, 01:25 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've said that a man's private sexual affairs ought to be left private.</div></div>Yet you continually go against this. Yep, plame is still a secretary.

eg8r

Gayle in MD
08-15-2008, 02:17 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yet you continually go against this. </div></div>

I am not a publisher, Ed. I don't break stories about people's personal sex lives. Try and keep up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep, plame is still a secretary.

eg8r
</div></div>

More lies from Ed.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/tired.gif

wolfdancer
08-15-2008, 02:24 PM
"there was no question in your mind."

Ed's now a mentalist, El Mouldo,
aka "Carnac the Magnificent" .....

sack316
08-16-2008, 02:20 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anything is possible. Atleast we'll have someone with a high I.Q. calling the shots, instead of another C student, who can't speak english, or pronounce the names of the leaders of foreign countries, or keep it straight which countries don't even exist anymore, or who is fighting whom, in an illegal war that he supports. </div></div>

I think Edison was deemed "unteachable". I am fairly certain you guys don't see me as some dumb hick from Alabama. And though I make solid grades... I excel at classes I'm interested in, and do enough to get by in those which I am not. That's just how I've always been... which I think is pretty well the educational resume of McCain. Perhaps he may have been technically an average student, and surely his low class rank in the Naval Acedemy is anything but great. But the guy is no dummy... that's the bottom line. Perhaps as far as intellect, I may grant Obama could be superior in that regard. As far as education and schooling, again a nod to Obama. But then again, just because you get educated and make good grades, doesn't mean you're not a dumbass, either.

Sack

cheesemouse
08-16-2008, 08:24 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> "there was no question in your mind."

Ed's now a mentalist, El Mouldo,
aka "Carnac the Magnificent" ..... </div></div>
Val P is a secretary as Ed is an Oreospace-engineer...:)

Gayle in MD
08-16-2008, 09:00 AM
So you don't think that his support of a war which every single respected former foreign policy expert, save those propped up by this illegal, immoral administration, believes was the worst foreign policy decision in history, is cause to have concern?

You don't think that his failing memory,either due to his age, or ignorance,in referring to the Soviet Union, which no longer exists, or to Czechlosvakia, which no longer exists, or mixingthe relationship of Sunni, and shiite, in their relationship to this war, and Iran, is cause for concern?

His flip flops on every major issue?

His voting record which supports every Bush Administration, the worst in history, in total agreement with those failed policies?

Membersof his own party, questioning his mental stability?

The way he treated his first wife?

His radical statemtments on foreign policy?

All the lies, and filth he is either failing to respond to, or spreading himself, about Obama, doesn't give you pause?

McCain is not fit to run.

Gayle in Md.

sack316
08-16-2008, 09:28 AM
Oh no dear, I think you pretty well know I'm not a McCain fan either. But just as I don't think a high educational background automatically qualifies you to be president, I don't think one's "average" schooling or "badass" time spent as a young man in the military automatically disqualifies you either. I've seen you use the "C Student" quote quite often, I just happen to feel ones scholastic abilities from over half a century ago probably don't amount to much in 2008. Are you the same person you were in high school/college? Have you grown mentally since then, or do you have the same mental capacity, intellect, and experience as you did back then?

No, McCain is not a great choice for president. But thus far, even with all we know, I'd still choose him over the alternative. Which is actually sad, because I think you know I'm a fairly open minded person.

If we're gonna toss out questions about a person, though... then does the state of Obama's own district not give you pause for concern, either?

Sack

Gayle in MD
08-16-2008, 10:24 AM
No,
What really worries me is that according to my own private studies about the state of our country, including our situation in the Middle East, oil, diplimatic influence, energy in general, and our constitutional rights, and foreign policy, McCain is on the wrong side of every issue.

check out this Republican/conservative, former military man, who lost his son in Iraq.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Iraq War deserves our attention as the clearest manifestation of these three crises, demonstrating the extent to which they are inextricably linked and mutually reinforcing. That war was always unnecessary. Except in the eyes of the deluded and the disingenuous, it has long since become a fool's errand. Of perhaps even greater significance, it is both counterproductive and unsustainable.

Yet ironically Iraq may yet prove to be the source of our salvation. For the United States, the ongoing war makes plain the imperative of putting America's house in order. Iraq has revealed the futility of counting on military power to sustain our habits of profligacy. The day of reckoning approaches. Expending the lives of more American soldiers in hopes of deferring that day is profoundly wrong. History will not judge kindly a people who find nothing amiss in the prospect of endless armed conflict so long as they themselves are spared the effects. Nor will it view with favor an electorate that delivers political power into the hands of leaders unable to envision any alternative to perpetual war.

Rather than insisting that the world accommodate the United States, Americans need to reassert control over their own destiny, ending their condition of dependency and abandoning their imperial delusions. Of perhaps even greater difficulty, the combination of economic, political, and military crisis summons Americans to reexamine exactly what freedom entails. Soldiers cannot accomplish these tasks, nor should we expect politicians to do so. The onus of responsibility falls squarely on citizens.

</div></div>

http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/index-flash.html

In fact, if you watch all the videos available on this station, all of which you will notice highlight the books from both Republicans and Democratics, and historians from both the left and the right, you would see that America's tendency to use MSM, instead of good documentation, like Bill Moyers Journal, on PBS, is a great part of our problem in this country. You would also understand the dangers of the Republican policies, John McCain, the war, and our loss of respect around the world, compliments of Republican policies.

Dr. Andrew Bacevish, who lost a son in Iraq, brings the real issues to the forefront in his book, The Limits Of Power