PDA

View Full Version : APA League, entering for the first time.

New2Pool
08-14-2008, 01:08 PM
I am trying to form a team for the Fall APA 8-ball league. The local league official has said that if I can get some of my friends together to form a team he will supply a good player with experience to be our captain.

Most of the guys I play with are at about the same level as I am and we usually take between 3 and 5 innings to finish a game although we will occasionally finish in 2 or drag on longer than 5. We seldom try a safety. No objection to them but we just don't think that way yet. I have finally gotten to the point where I can sometimes see the safety I should have hit after I miss a tough shot but it is definitely a work in progress.

Our main purpose is to get out of the house, drink some beer, and visit. Is there any downside to a group of mediocre players of similar ability and no experience forming a team? Is there any reasonable danger that we could have problems with the 23 point rule if a couple of people progress during the season from playing more?

Thanks for your input,

Deeman3
08-14-2008, 01:21 PM
it does not sound like you'll be in any danger by threatening the 23 point rule. If you identify your location, maybe someone can tell you about the league in your area.

New2Pool
08-14-2008, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the info.

I live in Kearney, NE. I have talked to an APA rep and he had informed me that men start as a 4. If the person they give us is a 6 or a 7 then we are at 21 or 22 right off the bat. But if most people don't go up from a 4 for a while then we are golden. I have invited one guy who is a lot worse than the rest of us so if he in interested that also takes care of any potential problems.

I am just trying to avoid doing anything incredibly stupid right off the bat when I can just ask on here and benefit from everyone else's knowledge.

Eric.
08-14-2008, 02:17 PM
There really isn't any "big mistakes" in the beginning. The only thing you want is to make sure you can field a team (have enough guys and that your handicaps are under 23). Eventually, some will go up (handicaps) and some will go down.

Have fun, try it out adn you'll learn as you go.

Eric

Deeman3
08-14-2008, 02:22 PM
Eric,

As always, Good Advice! If they just play their best things will work out.

Newtopool,
Don't worry about being a 7 until you get there. If you do and turn up with a great team, you can then decide what to do. To be planning a strategy now will only make you focus on the wrong things and not enjoy the experience. If you get that good, there will be places for you. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

SpiderMan
08-14-2008, 02:50 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: New2Pool</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Our main purpose is to get out of the house, drink some beer, and visit. </div></div>

Sounds like the APA should be perfect for you /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

No kidding, that's the one thing that folks either love or hate about the APA - most of your time is spent sitting around socializing in the bar, because your matches are played one at a time. In other words, with 10 players from two teams present, only two are playing while the other 8 are sitting around "drinking and visiting". Great for the bar, because they have a captive audience with little to do but sit around and order drinks, plus the match only ties up one pool table.

So, be sure you are OK with spending approximately 80% of your time sitting, waiting, visiting, or drinking, and only 20% actually involved in a match.

It's basically why I dropped out after a year - I joined because I was recruited by some friends I wanted to hang out with, stayed because I have a strong sense of commitment, then finally left because I'm just not much of a drinker or sitter. I now limit my league participation to those formats that provide more playtime and less downtime.

SpiderMan

Nick Leider
08-14-2008, 03:22 PM
(Hey guys, since this is my first post I thought I'd introduce myself. I'm Nick Leider, associate editor of BD... I thought it was about time I got my backside on the CCB and started participating.)

I just joined the APA a few months ago. I was in the same position as you, New2Pool, only I didn't have any friends that played. I've really enjoyed my matches, but the down time is tough to get used to. My first night at league, I was in my chair for 3 hours before I got to play.

If you have a bunch of friends along with you, you should be able to get a beer, socialize and sneak in a few games. Just know that you'll only be playing a few games all night.

Just a beginner's thoughts,
Nick

New2Pool
08-14-2008, 03:53 PM
SpiderMan and Nick,
Right now I am working a bunch of hours every week. When I get home there are always tons of "family commitments" that my wife wants us to do. I am OK with sitting around and drinking beer as long as it gets me out of going to the craft fair or whatever. I just need some "caveman" time. I enjoy my family but it does get where you want a break every now and again.

I will make sure to pass the concern on to my friends if any of them are interested in playing. I also see a scheduling strategy here. You schedule the team in the order they can handle their beer consumption!

Thanks to all

Rich R.
08-14-2008, 07:19 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SpiderMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I now limit my league participation to those formats that provide more playtime and less downtime.</div></div>
Spider, what league format provides more playtime and less downtime? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

I believe the TAP leagues are pretty much the same as APA, in that only one match is played at a time.
IIRC, in the BCA leagues, they may use more than one table, but each player only plays one rack at a time, and a maximum of 3 racks per night. I may be wrong on this, as I have never played in the BCA. I will defer to BCA players.

I would love to know which league provides more play time.

Bambu
08-15-2008, 08:57 AM
I like my local bar league better for that reason, more play time. 19 games for the night, each guy plays no more than any 4 games, and last 4 are doubles games that often decide the match. Crappy prizes in local leagues though, and not many good players.

MAC
08-15-2008, 10:38 AM
Joining the APA was the best thing my group of friends and I have done since we usually got together one night a week anyway. I had a similar situation as you I started out with only 5 players and now I have 7 reasone being my friends and I were all mediocre at the beginning we have been playing since February. Three of us stayed 4s and I had one 6 and a 3. We were all used to playing on bar tables and the league is played on 9ft tables so it took us a while to adapt.
Now I have two SL6,two SL5, one 4 and two SL3s. Our first session we actually got play in cities as a wild card becuase our amount of wins, and we took a 5th place finish out of 65 teams.Almost made it to Vegas our first go. That in itself makes it worth, it ranks up with one of my best times I've ever had.As for worrying about going over the magic number of 23, DONT worry about it just make sure you have a couple guys that stay at SL3. Myself and my other six just alternate weeks playing and its working out fine and we are winning our league by 7 games right now.If you do get a really good experienced player listen to him he will help, our guy has improved my game alot. To the point where I play at his speed at one point this year I was a 3 and have came all the way up to a 6 and not lost yet this session. Sorry for rambling it got kind of long. I just get excited talking about league play its the only thing I look forward to every week LOL.

SpiderMan
08-15-2008, 04:55 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich R.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SpiderMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I now limit my league participation to those formats that provide more playtime and less downtime.</div></div>
Spider, what league format provides more playtime and less downtime? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

I believe the TAP leagues are pretty much the same as APA, in that only one match is played at a time.
IIRC, in the BCA leagues, they may use more than one table, but each player only plays one rack at a time, and a maximum of 3 racks per night. I may be wrong on this, as I have never played in the BCA. I will defer to BCA players.

I would love to know which league provides more play time. </div></div>

BCA (as well as ACS, I believe) league formats are set by the local operator. For example, my favorite local BCA-sanctioned league (UPL, United Pool League) has an 8-ball format with 5-man teams. Every player on one team plays two games with every player on the other team, so each man plays 10 games on a league night.

The matches are run on 3 tables at once, so there is very little downtime. Play begins at 8 and finishes sometime after 10. Contrast this with APA, where you typically play fewer games, but you're stuck hanging around from 7:30 until (sometimes) midnight.

There are also some local BCA leagues with a 1-game-per-man format for 8-ball, run on only two simulataneous tables, but that isn't enough play to suit me.

SpiderMan

Wally_in_Cincy
08-16-2008, 12:24 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SpiderMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Every player on one team plays two games with every player on the other team, so each man plays 10 games on a league night.

The matches are run on 3 tables at once, so there is very little downtime. </div></div>

I played on a BCA league like that and it was great. 8 games on league night and you are done by 9:30 or 10.

New2pool, I have played APA for 10 years and the downtime can be tiresome. Try to find a venue with at least 2 tables so you can practice when not in a match.

Also, the APA rules state that if the third match is not done by 9:30 and there is another table available the teams are required to "split tables" i.e. start the next match on the other table.

I have played some nights where the teams agreed to split tables after the first match. I loved that. Home by 10:00 instead of midnight.

BigRigTom
08-16-2008, 12:49 PM
New2pool like everyone says don't worry, be happy. Play pool, enjoy your friends company, enjoy the game, relax and all the rest will come along later. APA is a great social format. If you get real serious later you can look at other things, maybe. The important thing now is to have fun and play pool with your friends and you are on the right track.

wolfdancer
08-16-2008, 03:50 PM
I get the feeling that in the APA, you are expected to play to a level 3 or 4 during the season, then get increasingly better during the playoffs,finally reaching level 7 in the finals???
It's an amazing concept, one that Tim Gallwey mentioned in his "Inner Game" books...the better opponent bringing out the best in you.

New2Pool
08-18-2008, 08:06 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it does not sound like you'll be in any danger by threatening the 23 point rule. If you identify your location, maybe someone can tell you about the league in your area.

</div></div>

I watched a few matches at a TAP tournament this weekend. Most of the matches I watched involved 4's and 5's. I now know I am not a 4 yet. I occasionally am out in 2 innings. The guys I watched were usually out in 2 innings but occasionally it would be 3 or 4.

I saw a level 4 make 5 balls on the break, 4 solids and a stripe. Strips were clearly set up better so the person who broke decided to go for them. He rattled his first shot around the pocket and it came to a stop hanging over the hole. Even worse, he left the cue ball exactly where he meant to and his opponent was set up for an easy run and was out in 1.

Wally_in_Cincy
08-19-2008, 03:04 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I get the feeling that in the APA, you are expected to play to a level 3 or 4 during the season, then get increasingly better during the playoffs,finally reaching level 7 in the finals???
</div></div>

Virtually nobody improves that fast. You might go up one level per session or two levels in a year if you practice A LOT.

Unfortunately the idea of APA is to play as a 4 or 5 during the season and play like a 5 or 6 in the year-end tournaments.

wolfdancer
08-20-2008, 11:37 PM
Wally, I weren't serious....but it is human nature to expect someone to rise above their level of incompetence, when you are in the playoffs.
It's kind of like expecting Shaq to make all his free throws in the championship series.

pooldoll
08-25-2008, 07:32 AM
For those of you who want less downtime I'd suggest the Double Jeopardy format. Our local APA league offers that. You're basically on 2 teams in both formats and you play both 8-Ball and 9-Ball on adjacent tables. Nobody ever needs to sit out on any given night and 3 players get to play 2 matches in a single night.

It's great for those who can only get out one night a week.

New2Pool
09-08-2008, 07:05 AM
Our league started last night. I ended up winning my match 3-0 but our team lost. I played as a 4 against a 4 who has played for a while. I was out in 2 one game (I broke and made a few balls then ran out on my next turn. I thought I saw on here that was one inning but they said last night it was two.) The other games were 4 and 7 innings I believe. The 7 inning match was ugly because my break was pathetic that game and the balls were clustered against the rails.

The experience was a good one but I did not have any luck getting a team together so I joined a new team someone else put together. We have 5 new players, a 2 (female) and a 3 (male), and a 5. There were a couple of times I wished we had a 6 or 7 because I was not sure what to do but calling a time out to ask people who don't plan their shots ahead did not make sense to me.

The other team were all good sports. I generally shoot reasonably quickly but the couple of times I was in a tough spot and had to think for a while nobody complained. The visited with each other a lot. That was almost a problem once because I clearly called my pocket a couple of times and marked it with my pocket chalker. I a length of the table shot between the cue and the 8 and my opponents ball was squarely between the two. My opponent was visiting with her coach and their other players and none of them heard me call the shot. The started watching when I took my shot my kick shot made the 8 clean. One of their guys tried to claim that I had not called the shot but when one of their kids told them I had called the shot they claimed my chalk did not count and marking the pocket. I agreed and told them the chalk did not count but the chalker does because it is not an item that is ever left on the table other than when marking a pocket. Their coach agreed. A second incident happened but I will post that in a different thread to get opinions on the rule.

So all-in-all it was an enjoyable night. There were not any slop shots in any off the games and any disagreements were handled in a friendly way.

Now I am just trying to figure out what you are suppose to do with a patch.

BigRigTom
09-08-2008, 07:57 AM
Use a patch as a pocket marker, especially if you have a "Break and Run" or an "8 on the Break"...they are always good to show your opponent while you are sinking the 8!

he he

Seriously though I pin mine on a cork board in my office (at home) until the end of the season then they get added to the rest on a string in the Pool Room (garage) hanging over the table next to my scoring beads.

timseal
09-15-2008, 10:01 AM
I also hate the lengthy downtime in APA games. I always offer to do the scoring, that makes a big difference for me as I'm always involved in the game.

New2Pool
09-15-2008, 02:33 PM
Week 1, 3-0 against a 4.
Week 2, 3-1 against a 5. I was the last match with the teams tied 2-2.

I think our ranking is off here though. I watched the end of season TAP tournament and their 4's were much stronger than I am. The team we played against this week kept complaining that there was no way I am a 4. Based on the past 2 weeks I think they are correct that I am a strong 4 or better by our local standards. From reading this board I don't think I am any better than a weak 4 at best by the national standard.

We went 20 innings, the third game has some defense as well as a few missed shots on each side and went about 11 innings. It was just one of those games were we both seemed to be leaving moderately hard shots for the other guy because of luck and neither of us could pull away.

InTheZone
09-15-2008, 02:42 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: New2Pool</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Week 1, 3-0 against a 4.

I think our ranking is off here though. I watched the end of season TAP tournament and their 4's were much stronger than I am. The team we played against this week kept complaining that there was no way I am a 4. Based on the past 2 weeks I think they are correct that I am a strong 4 or better by our local standards. From reading this board I don't think I am any better than a weak 4 at best by the national standard.

We went 20 innings, the third game has some defense as well as a few missed shots on each side and went about 11 innings. It was just one of those games were we both seemed to be leaving moderately hard shots for the other guy because of luck and neither of us could pull away. </div></div>

TAP skill level numbers are national numbers, not regional like the APA, so no doubt there is more strength in their numbers and a TAP SL 4 would probably be an APA SL 5 in most anywhere USA.

For a 4 game match with 20 innings, you are where you need to be and more than likely once you have 30 matches under your belt, you will have settled into your SL. My advice to you is to downplay the SL part and just concentrate on your game. Let the wankers wank. Even when you become a SL 6, they will still have something to complain about.

New2Pool
09-15-2008, 03:09 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: InTheZone</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: New2Pool</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Week 1, 3-0 against a 4.

We went 20 innings, the third game has some defense as well as a few missed shots on each side and went about 11 innings. It was just one of those games were we both seemed to be leaving moderately hard shots for the other guy because of luck and neither of us could pull away. </div></div>

TAP skill level numbers are national numbers, not regional like the APA, so no doubt there is more strength in their numbers and a TAP SL 4 would probably be an APA SL 5 in most anywhere USA.

For a 4 game match with 20 innings, you are where you need to be and more than likely once you have 30 matches under your belt, you will have settled into your SL. My advice to you is to downplay the SL part and just concentrate on your game. Let the wankers wank. Even when you become a SL 6, they will still have something to complain about. </div></div>

Thanks for the information and the advice.

BigRigTom
09-15-2008, 03:11 PM
InTheZone is dead-on with his advice.
Enjoy the game, play your best and let the numbers fall where they will.