PDA

View Full Version : Troops Deployed Abroad Give 6 to 1 to Obama Over M

Gayle in MD
08-14-2008, 10:24 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Over McCain...
http://www.opensecrets.org/news/2008/08/troops-deployed-abroad-give-61.html
"That's shocking. The academic debate is between some who say that junior enlisted ranks lean slightly Republican and some who say it's about equal, but no one would point to six-to-one" in Democrats' favor, said Aaron Belkin, a professor of political science at the University of California who studies the military. "That represents a tremendous shift from 2000, when the military vote almost certainly was decisive in Florida and elsewhere, and leaned heavily towards the Republicans."

</div></div>

sack316
08-14-2008, 11:31 PM
wow, the only stat I've seen for a group that lopsided in favor of a democrat is felons /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I do realize, of course, that the numbers don't lie... but I know those at yongsan (sp?) are more McCain leaning. And, much like us here, not so much because they are pro McCain but because they don't know WTF Obama will do

Sack

mike60
08-15-2008, 12:24 AM
Steve, What are you on about? What will Obama do? Like you have even the slightest clue. Your paranoia has painted you into a corner. Puffed up with false hope
that the plane crasher will have a chance to win. Good luck. The fragmented rightwing is pulling itself apart. The holy 20% of the electorate think McCain is a pagan
compared to Huckabee. Watch closely at the Republican National Convention. It will not be all love and roses for the Plane Crasher. He will have to lie even more to
line up the hysterical snake handlers and the rest of the gang. Cheney-Bush promised the hard line holies a place at the table and then left them out in the cold.
Elsewhere i posted on the percentage of actual voters vs. eligible and the slim numbers either way. So rant on brother. You'll have plenty to yell about very soon.

Like McCain i have General Grade Officers in my family and they all think John McCain is a rich twit. He is like GW Bush, from a tough family but a lousy student and a drag on the family. It seems the Republicans are bailing out of the Convention. The list is growing.

miguel

Bobbyrx
08-15-2008, 12:35 AM
So if we have roughly 200,000 troops abroad, 0.067% gave to Obama and 0.05% gave to McCain............this is news?
" A former West Point professor, Jason Dempsey, noted that the small set of contributions from deployed troops at this point in 2008 -- just 323 donations -- should not be extrapolated to form conclusions about military personnel overall."

mike60
08-15-2008, 12:41 AM
Surprise!!! US Troops poor, got no cash to spare, whatever. Face it the troops are being used for WAR PROFITEERS to get rich and are paid bupkis. How many families of our serving troops are on food stamps?
You're right on this one Bobby.

miguel

Bobbyrx
08-15-2008, 11:10 AM
What are you babbling about?

wolfdancer
08-15-2008, 11:27 AM
tremendous shift from 2000, when the military vote almost certainly was decisive in Florida and elsewhere, and leaned heavily towards the Republicans."
Fla...now why am I surprised?
But the sampling numbers are kind of small, ... Fred Thompson got one more "vote"..7, compared to Hillary's 6
From that site though....this is even more interesting:
Colbert can make or break a politician, maybe???

"Here's further evidence that there's a political scientist for every topic under the sun: A professor at the University of California-San Diego has examined campaign finance reports and episodes of "The Colbert Report" on Comedy Central to conclude that Stephen Colbert -- he who briefly toyed with running a presidential campaign sponsored by Doritos -- can juice a political candidate's fundraising 40 percent by having them on his show.

Political scientist James H. Fowler found that "Democrats who appear on 'The Colbert Report' enjoy a significant increase in the number and total amount of donations they receive over the next 3040 days when compared to similar candidates who do not appear on the show,"
No numbers reported on Republicans that appear on the show, and plead the fifth, when asked about the party's agenda (but most right wing donations are secretive)

wolfdancer
08-15-2008, 11:29 AM
try to keep up with the conversation.....these delays are time consuming, and some of us have a deadline to meet

Bobbyrx
08-15-2008, 12:12 PM
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

mike60
08-15-2008, 06:38 PM
Our troops are being used for the enrichment of WAR PROFITEERS while their families subsist on food stamps and hand out cheese. The morally challenged among us will of course be glad to hear this as they are so stupid as to need remedial breathing classes.

miguel

sack316
08-16-2008, 02:23 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mike60</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> (7:31 p.m.)enough already with the demented bullshit crazy rightwingbat fools. I will not respond to any of their posts, period.

This excludes Larry as he is temperate and reasoned compared to the rest.

michaelsixty </div></div>

That seems to have held up for all of 7 minutes

Sack

Gayle in MD
08-16-2008, 11:00 AM
Wolf,
There is su much Bs out there about how the troops really feel about this mess. I would bet you anything that other than those who post here who are involved in military service in Iraq or Afgh. right now, not one person who posts here has talked dieectly to as many of our troops during thie mess, as I have, and I have yet to find one single person who thinks we did the right thing invading Iraq.

Now we have a situation where we're supposed to send more troops into Afghanistan, and where are they coming from? IRAQ, where most of those people have been re-deployed over and over again, some on their fifth and sixth deployment!

In WWI and WWII our presidents provided us with the truthful assessment of our circumstances, and our threats, and asked that we all sacrifice, and we did make sacrifices as a country, and there was plentiful support.

None of that happens when we are lied into an un-necessary war, and failed policies.

I am ashamed when I talk to AMericans who don't even know how many souls have been lost in Iraq, or even bother educated themselves on our circumstances.

It's a disgrace. These statistics don't surprise me one bit. They confirm much of what I have learned over these last years about our troops. This stinking administration has abused Americans troops, like no other before them would have even considered.

McCain's take on all this should be enough to warn Americans how completely disasterous it would be to continue with these idiotic policies. HIs own statements prove that he has not doen his homework, and would be a disaster.

http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/08152008/profile2.html

Yet ironically Iraq may yet prove to be the source of our salvation. For the United States, the ongoing war makes plain the imperative of putting America's house in order. Iraq has revealed the futility of counting on military power to sustain our habits of profligacy. The day of reckoning approaches. Expending the lives of more American soldiers in hopes of deferring that day is profoundly wrong. History will not judge kindly a people who find nothing amiss in the prospect of endless armed conflict so long as they themselves are spared the effects. Nor will it view with favor an electorate that delivers political power into the hands of leaders unable to envision any alternative to perpetual war.

Rather than insisting that the world accommodate the United States, Americans need to reassert control over their own destiny, ending their condition of dependency and abandoning their imperial delusions. Of perhaps even greater difficulty, the combination of economic, political, and military crisis summons Americans to reexamine exactly what freedom entails. Soldiers cannot accomplish these tasks, nor should we expect politicians to do so. The onus of responsibility falls squarely on citizens.

Gayle in Md.