PDA

View Full Version : Earl Strickland posts on AZbilliards

08-10-2002, 08:13 PM
Earl has some comments about the UPA mall event going on.
Check it out----Marty

08-10-2002, 08:22 PM
wow it sounds like that guy Don macky all over again

Q-guy
08-10-2002, 09:28 PM
Whether it is true or not, I have my doubts that Earl wrote that. It is not the type of thing he would do.

08-10-2002, 09:58 PM
The possibility of this being a jerker is there for sure.
But having said that, I've seen much stranger things happen.
I'm sure as the hours go by someone may be able to verify it to be authentic or pure bull or maybe somewhere in between.-----Marty

AzHousePro
08-10-2002, 10:19 PM
I will see what I can do to verify it. It might be too late at night, but I will try.

Mike

AzHousePro
08-10-2002, 11:01 PM
I checked it out. It was Earl. He sounds pretty ticked off too.

Mike

Voodoo Daddy
08-11-2002, 12:34 AM
Sad to hear...bad money decisions hurt the long run, if there is a long run. Hope Charlie works all the kinks out before his next event.

cuechick
08-11-2002, 07:42 AM
I am sure he would not be complaing about the pay out for 1st had he won. These players need to give this a chance and relax a little. This is the first event and there are bound to be kinks. It has amazing potential and the support of all the players is essential. The big problem with the men is their short sightedness. They have to stop thinking like hustlers and start thinking like professional atheltes. IMO!

Q-guy
08-11-2002, 08:20 AM
I have put on quite a few tournaments, as have others on here, and it is customary to have all the checks or cash ready on the final day. When a player is out, they can collect their prize money and be on their way if that is what they want to do, or wait for a little presentation after the final. I can picture Earl pissed-off after losing and asking for his money so he could leave. Even if Charlie "didn't" have the checks made out yet, I doubt there was a problem with paying out the money as Earl implies, and it was defiantly to early for any public statements. Percentage of payouts I assume was agreed to before the tournament and if Earl did not like the format or any other particulars he was welcome to not play. I don't know what good purpose he thinks he is serving for publicly criticizing Charlie and the tournament at this early stage. Maybe Earl should consider promoting his own tour. I think if he for some reason chose to not play in anymore tournaments he would not be missed. He may in more ways then one, be detrimental to the sport and can be done without. Just my opinion

WaltVA
08-11-2002, 09:00 AM
Earl exchanged some words with a couple of spectators (one was trying to open a bag of potato chips while Earl was down on a shot),waved his cue and made comments to the air on misses, started packing up while Efrem was still shooting in the final game, tore off his UPA shoulder patch and stormed out of the venue. Charlie wasn't paying players off as they finished their matches, but I don't think this was a question of the money not being there - just Earl being Earl.

Walt in VA

Tom_In_Cincy
08-11-2002, 10:17 AM
If this indeed Earl on the internet.. and it is true...

CW has some explaining to do... Demands for escrow and monies that are guaranteed.. fall short.. and delays .. in playing.. just the exact same thing that CW is complaining about with Barry Berhman.

Maybe its just another example of a 25 year old trying to act like a grownup..

From AZ Billiards chat forum

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Posted By: Earl Strickland
Date: August 10, 2002, at 6:40 p.m.

I have something to say that I just have to get out there about the UPA event in Virginia.

I was upset at Charlie Williams after my match with Efren Reyes because Charlie did not have the check prepared. He told me that I would have to wait and gave me no time period. I was not the only one who's check was delayed.

Some players had to stay an extra night to wait for their checks. $600 is a disgrace for a single elimination event finishing 9th-16th. First prize should have been less. Like $6000 for first and more given for 9-16. I lost money overall on this trip finishing 9-16.

Earl
<hr></blockquote>

08-11-2002, 11:56 AM
I was there watching the match and i can say that Earl was just being a total jerk. It seemed like right when things were looking in Efren's favor Earl started looking for a scapegoat. In one instance Earl played a safe and the guy next to me applauds and says nice shot, Earl obviously not satisfied with his shot just turns around and glares at the guy like he wants to hit him. Another time in the match somebody in the crowd says to him "great shot" after he pockets a ball, then Earl turns to the guy and says "Nothing i do is great, it's only great when he does it" while pointing at Efren. Then late in the match when Earl was down like 7-13 he makes a tough shot with a table length draw and a guy on the right side of me says "nice stroke Earl" then Earl stops, slowly turns around and goes "What did you say?" the guy says "nice stroke", then Earl says to him "It's a little late for that isn't it?" Anyways I heard that Earl got a well deserved yellow card for his antics, i'm not very sure if its true or not but i believe if he gets carded again he gets kicked off the tour. I wonder why its hard for Earl to understand why people root against him and give more respect to the foreign players like Efren. Who has respect for anyone that makes even his own fans and people who are clapping for him feel stupid and uneasy? just my opinion but i think considering him to be the greatest 9-ball player of all time is a joke. He's not deserving of anything more than the disrespect he shows to everyone else....

WaltVA
08-11-2002, 02:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr>

Maybe its just another example of a 25 year old trying to act like a grownup..
&lt;End quote&gt;

Maybe it's just another example of Earl trying to act like a grownup....and failing.

Walt in VA

Patrick
08-11-2002, 07:34 PM
It is unfair that they harass Earl Strickland like this.

Patrick

08-12-2002, 06:35 AM
the tour could easily do without him. and maybe he'll get pissed off enough to retire ,,,,,like jean balukas.

earl is NOT a draw in a sport that does not draw, so he can cry all he wants, because the sport won't cowtow to get him to bring in higher """ratings""".

Lester
08-12-2002, 06:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: arnie:</font><hr> the tour could easily do without him. and maybe he'll get pissed off enough to retire ,,,,,like jean balukas.

earl is NOT a draw in a sport that does not draw, so he can cry all he wants, because the sport won't cowtow to get him to bring in higher """ratings""". <hr></blockquote>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;I think we ought to put aside who it is, and listen to what he's saying. By not having the checks ready, he had to stay another day. Professional players have to cut many corners to try and make a living playing our sport. CW should take note, and correct this in the future. JMHO ***Lester***

Q-guy
08-12-2002, 07:50 AM
Do you know for a fact, he had to stay another day? I think the implication that there may be a problem with the money was very premature and unfair for Earl to imply. If Earl cared anything about the tour or Charlie, He would have said, "OK mail me the check, but lets get the bugs out of this thing before the next tournament." They could have discussed any problems at the next players meeting. Either way, airing dirty laundry in public hurts everyone. As if Earl really cares about anyone but himself. If Charley goofed up a little, then they can iron out the problems within the organization but it was too early to begin involving the public. Earl not getting paid when he thought he should, or tournament formats are not the publics business. It should be handled within the organization. I think Earl actually is trying to hurt the tour for some sick or jealous reason. He is a strange guy.

Lester
08-12-2002, 08:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Q-guy:</font><hr> Do you know for a fact, he had to stay another day? I think the implication that there may be a problem with the money was very premature and unfair for Earl to imply. If Earl cared anything about the tour or Charlie, He would have said, "OK mail me the check, but lets get the bugs out of this thing before the next tournament." They could have discussed any problems at the next players meeting. Either way, airing dirty laundry in public hurts everyone. As if Earl really cares about anyone but himself. If Charley goofed up a little, then they can iron out the problems within the organization but it was too early to begin involving the public. Earl not getting paid when he thought he should, or tournament formats are not the publics business. It should be handled within the organization. I think Earl actually is trying to hurt the tour for some sick or jealous reason. He is a strange guy. <hr></blockquote>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; We agree on airing in public any problems with the tour. I hope he discussed this with Charlie, as he could use the input. Getting a well run professional tour is the "desired result". Azbilliards was definitely not the forum to use for constructive criticism. ****Lester****

bluewolf
08-12-2002, 08:39 AM
he reminds me of a long ago young jimmy conners in tennis. he was the best but many did not like him due to his temper and arrogance. many cheered when he was beat

bluewolf

bluewolf
08-12-2002, 08:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Patrick:</font><hr> It is unfair that they harass Earl Strickland like this.

Patrick <hr></blockquote>

why do you think it is unfair?

bluewolf

Q-guy
08-12-2002, 08:55 AM
You know, he may be the most successful mens player right now. With indorsements and a pretty successful tournament record you can't do much better then he is doing. The only thing that could improve his life as a pro player, would be for the sport itself to make strides. Yet he seems to not care about the sport even though it is in his own best interest. I would hate to see how he may react if things don't go as well for him at some time in the future. He just doesn't appreciate how well he has it compared to other players. Playing pool as a profession it difficult at best and impossible at worst. But it has been his choice, no one put a gun to his head. I hope he has plans for the future, a poolroom or billiard supply or whatever, when the balls no longer go in.

Ralph S.
08-12-2002, 10:21 AM
While I personally don't approve of some of Earl's antics, I do however feel he may have a legitimate gripe on this one.
Ralph S.

Q-guy
08-12-2002, 10:25 AM
On what do you base that on?

08-12-2002, 10:32 AM

Ralph S.
08-12-2002, 10:39 AM
I just feel that top tier finishers should be able to cover expenses. First place gets 6K while 9-16 gets $600? I think with that kind of money to pay the field it couldve been broke down just a little better. JMO.
Ralph S.

Q-guy
08-12-2002, 10:56 AM
That may be true, but that is inside business. I doubt if Earl had won, he would have voluntarily taken some of his first place money and added it to the lower places. The money break down was known in advance, he choose to play. Earl only reacts to how things directly affect him, and this time he got the short money and did not like it. Make no mistake, most of the top players could care less about the journeymen players that never win a tournament, but show up anyway and make the thing happen. Put on one of these things, and see how many of the top players want you to put up their entries to play. I am sorry to say, few of them care about anybody but themselves.

Cueless Joey
08-12-2002, 11:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: bluewolf:</font><hr> he reminds me of a long ago young jimmy conners in tennis. he was the best but many did not like him due to his temper and arrogance. many cheered when he was beat

bluewolf <hr></blockquote>.......
Might be true BW but Connors grew up. Earl has not and he is in his forties now. I don't think Jimmy snapped at a specatator for cheering for him. Jimmy was alright. He was funny. John Mac was just an abusive jerk. He and Earl behave just about the same.

Ross
08-12-2002, 11:22 AM
I agree that the prize money should be distributed more evenly. $600 for 9th place in a 64 player 20k added tourney is pretty sad. My first thought was that they did it this way so that 1st prize was 10K. This figure has a good ring to it and might serve to draw both players and an audience. But I noticed their flyers did not mention the 10k, just the 20k added. So who knows why they made the distribution so top heavy?

But Earl's behavior is a different issue. I'm sure he knew the prize distribution when he started the tourney so he looks pretty whiney to complain publicly only after he gets knocked out. He also almost always gets into arguments with fans when he is losing. He has a pretty big ego that he has to feed and so he can seldom just accept that he is being outplayed without having a bit of a hissy fit.

It is entertaining to watch though - and I think most of the pros are far past being sharked by it. And controversy does bring interest - it is my impression that both Conners and McEnroe did more to boost tennis viewership than any of the better behaved champions.

Still I hope that the UPA does set standards and mocking fans will be penalized in some way.

08-12-2002, 08:53 PM
Could this guy be a bigger jerk? (Rhetorical question, the answer becomes more obvious every time he opens his mouth!)

Troy
08-12-2002, 09:32 PM
I don't know how the total purse was distributed nor do I know the total purse, but with 63 players and paying 25% of the field, this sound fair to me ---

1 st = $10,000
2 nd = $ 6,000
3/4 = $ 3,000
5/8 = $ 1,500
9/16 = $ 900
---------------
Total = $ 31,600

The next step in a single elimination tournament is to pay 17/32 which would equal HALF the field. Paying that deep is very unusual.

Troy...~~~ Food for thought

MikeM
08-13-2002, 08:51 AM
You're right Cuechick. Charlie should have had that same perspective last year at the Open. Hopefully he is beginning to realize the difficulties of being a promoter and he won't screw up the Open this year by calling for a UPA boycott.

MM

Lester
08-13-2002, 09:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: MikeM:</font><hr> You're right Cuechick. Charlie should have had that same perspective last year at the Open. Hopefully he is beginning to realize the difficulties of being a promoter and he won't screw up the Open this year by calling for a UPA boycott.

MM <hr></blockquote>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Mike, did I miss something? Has there been talk of a UPA boycott? I don't think if he called for one, that it would be answered, as there are too many players that live for this tournament. Also, any complaints from last year, I'm sure would be addressed and corrected for this years open. JMHO ***Lester***

MikeM
08-13-2002, 09:17 AM
Yes, Charlie has threatened to have the UPA boycott the Open if Barry Behrman doesn't meet UPA's demands on guaranteed money. I emailed the UPA a few months ago to ask about this and I got a response. I assume it was from Charlie. I'll post it if I can find it. The last I heard it sounded like things were being worked out amicably, but I haven't heard that they are for sure yet. I sure hope so.

MM

jjinfla
08-13-2002, 04:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: WaltVA:</font><hr> , tore off his UPA shoulder patch and stormed out of the venue.
Walt in VA <hr></blockquote>
If Earl tore off his UPA patch was that his way of telling CW he quit the tour? And what is a yellow card? I thought they only did that in socker. Jake

08-13-2002, 07:26 PM
Patrick, I have to agree with you. All it shows me is their lack of character.

08-13-2002, 08:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: cuechick:</font><hr> I am sure he would not be complaing about the pay out for 1st had he won. These players need to give this a chance and relax a little. This is the first event and there are bound to be kinks. It has amazing potential and the support of all the players is essential. The big problem with the men is their short sightedness. They have to stop thinking like hustlers and start thinking like professional atheltes. IMO! <hr></blockquote>

I'm sure your first sentence is correct. The problem is that only 4 out of 64 players win enough to cover their expences to show up. It amazes me that with that kind of pay-out they get 64 players to show up. I'm sure the majority of the field are local players, who don't have the traveling expences of the pros. You say they should act like professional atheltes. I can't think of any professional athelte that would perform for $600. Try to remember to these players pool it not a hobby, pastime, or a game, it's a living. And while it's true this was UPA's first tournament, it definately wasn't Charlie's first. It seems to me that there should be no kinks. Jim R.