PDA

View Full Version : A UPA report

Thierry Layani
08-11-2002, 12:34 PM
I attended the tournament until saturday night and it was definitely one the best tournament I've seen. Only 63 players and at least half could pretend to the title. Which means incredible matchup as soon as the second round. The match between Reyes and Morris was incredible as was the match between Efren and Strickland, although Strickland did not play very well. Efren was playing perfect pool. Bustamante is still my favourite he was playing like a real machine.
The organization was very decent for a first event and bravo to Charlie williams for making it all happen. Charlie was working like crazy, keeping his temper even though he had a million things to do and he was treating everyone with care. He even managed to do well in the tournament, and that's quite amazing. My deception is that there wasn't much people. I don't know what it's going to take to draw people to these tournaments because it cannot get better than this. I know for a fact that a tournament like this in Montreal would be packed with spectators so I guess everyone there was disappointed.
Finally my encouragements go to Jose Parica who just before the tournament lost his tip on his playing cue ( and could not find anyone to repair it) and ask if I could lend him a cue for the tournament, which I did with pleasure. Parica is now guaranteed the 3rd place, so I guess he got use to the cue pretty fast. What a player he is.
I'm sure we are seeing the debute of an organization that has a promising future in the world of men's pool.(for once)

Thierry Layani
www.layanicues.com (http://www.layanicues.com)

John in NH
08-11-2002, 02:41 PM
Hi Thierry,

Happy to hear that the first UPA event is a success. I saw Charlie Williams play in a tournament in Mass.(September of 2001), and was very impressed with his demeanor at that time, he is a solid representative for the pro players and the UPA tour. Although I wasn't able to attend the tournament in Hampton, VA, I plan on attending the open in Chesapeake, VA.

Thanks for your report.

Regards,

John