PDA

View Full Version : Virginia governor Kaine Fires Back at Rove

Gayle in MD
08-18-2008, 12:45 PM
Kaine responded Sunday to comments made by Republican strategist Karl Rove earlier this month criticizing Kaine's potential vice presidential credentials.

On CBS' "Face the Nation," Rove jabbed at the governor, saying "again no disrespect to Gov. Kaine. He's been a governor for three years. He's been able but undistinguished. I don't think people could really name a big, important thing that he's done."

The Democratic governor -- who is rumored to be on Barack Obama's potential VP list -- pointed out that his state was voted best for business three years in a row by Forbes.com and said "maybe Karl Roves and the Republicans don't care about business climate, that would explain why we're in the situation that we're in".

JULY 31 -- WaPo Says Kaine Wrong About VP Search: The paper reports that, contra Kaine, Obama is still looking at a wide pool.

Barack Obama's vice presidential vetting process has moved into a new stage in which a larger than previously reported group of candidates is being exposed to a "deeper dig" into their backgrounds -- in the words of a source familiar with the process.
The hard vetting involves follow-ups to lingering questions about candidates' backgrounds and clarifications of their stands on issues. While the process is intensifying, the fact that the number of potential candidates still being considered is larger than generally believed, suggests that no decision is imminent, just 26 days before the opening of the Democratic National Convention.

It also runs counter to much-publicized comments by Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine Tuesday that "there has been a long list. It seems to be getting shorter."

JULY 29 -- Kaine Mum On Veep Spot: The VA governor won't discuss details on radio show.

Kaine said it's flattering to be mentioned. Beyond that, he said, "I'm just not going to talk about my conversations with the campaign."
JULY 29 -- More details on Kaine vetting: From the Washington Post:

[S]everal people who have spoken to Kaine said he has talked about the seriousness of the possibility. Each spoke on the condition of anonymity, citing the campaign's desire to keep the process secret. One said Kaine has stressed that there are other top candidates but described his discussions with the campaign as "very serious."

Two other associates said Kaine's staff is providing the background information necessary to allow the campaign to search for potential political land mines. One source said Kaine chief counsel Larry Roberts is coordinating with Obama's team. Roberts could not be reached for comment. [...]

Kaine and Obama became friends after they campaigned together during Kaine's 2005 gubernatorial race. Kaine, who like Obama has Kansas roots, has returned the favor, stumping nationwide for the senator from Illinois during the primaries. In recent weeks, Kaine and his staff have been in frequent contact with Obama and his campaign about strategy and operations in Virginia and elsewhere. [...]

But Kaine has no foreign policy background, and as a first-term governor, he may add to voters' concerns about Obama's experience. Kaine remains popular in Virginia, but he has had trouble dealing with Republicans and has no single defining achievement to point to on the campaign trail.

JULY 28 -- Kaine 'Very, Very High' On VP Shortlist: Politico reports: A source says Obama is looking closely at Kaine.

As Senator Barack Obama turns to the choice of his running mate, Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine has emerged as one of the campaign's potential finalists, sources familiar with conversations in Richmond and in Chicago said. Kaine, an early Obama supporter whose biography nicely dovetails with the Illinois senator's, "ranks very, very high on the short list," said a source who has spoken recently to senior Obama aides about Kaine. Kaine "is getting a critical examination," the source said.
JULY 28: The Kaine Boomlet: Obama comments on "Meet The Press" set off speculation about Kaine.

Ears perked up all over Washington when Obama offered Brokaw a laundry list of characteristics important to him in selecting a vice president -- particularly when Obama seemed to suggest that his veep pick would need to be a change agent ready to shake up Washington. Conventional wisdom quickly formed: Obama was signaling his preference for an outside-the-Beltway pick (Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine or Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius) rather than a Capitol Hill type.
JULY 24 -- McAuliffe Boosts Kaine For VP: Hillary Clinton's former campaign chairman Terry McAuliffe says Kaine is Obama's best choice:

McAuliffe was adamant in his recommendation of Kaine as the Democratic Party's vice presidential nominee Tuesday, although he stressed to the News-Press after his speech, which included an informal half-hour question and answer period, that the ultimate choice will be Obama's very personal one.

sack316
08-18-2008, 04:12 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The Democratic governor -- who is rumored to be on Barack Obama's potential VP list -- pointed out that his state was voted best for business three years in a row by Forbes.com and said "maybe Karl Roves and the Republicans don't care about business climate, that would explain why we're in the situation that we're in".
</div></div>

I'll do it people... I learned this little trick from smart folk right here on the CCB. Ahem...

So there we have it, Kaine along with all his democratic cronies are in bed with big business. It's only a matter of time before the truth about his sweetheart deals up there in Virginia get exposed for what they are. And I bet those business don't even pay taxes because of some loophole he made for them! No wonder they are so happy there! Why, I bet thay may even got themselves a Wal-Mart or two up yonder!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Yep, that sounded rediculous, I know... BELIEVE ME... I know

Sack

Gayle in MD
08-19-2008, 06:22 AM
Sack,
That is a distortion of my views.

I'm all for business that provides safe working environments, and abides by pollution standards, and aims at keeping their jobs, and money, here.

I am against business methods the undermine the AMerican worker, poison the American population, and twist and lie about things that are basically bad for our country.

Take for example that fact that NIH has stated that phen. (think its abbreviation is PCB) in our plastic, even in baby bottles, is a serious health threat. A cancer causing agent, and also can cause mental health issues, such as ADD. They tested people and children, for example, had dangerous levels in their bodies, yet the Food and Drug refuses to acknowledge the threat. We bacsically have NO food and drug administration, anymore.

Another example, there is in place a website which allows any employer to look up any SS # to insure that anyone who applies for a job, is a legal applicant, and not using someone elses SS#. Now, the National Chamber Of Commerce, is paying lobbyists to squelch that process, and change it for the benefit of corporations which want the cheap labor for thier own bottom line, and they're trying to suggest great loses to justify it! Give me a break. Logging onto a wevsite to check, is creating huge financial losses? BULL! If there are losses, they come from not being able to exploit the use of cheap labor, illegal immigrants, and thieves who steal the SS# from tax paying Americans.

Bush has turned our protective agencies into tools for corporate power.

If you don't think that corporate power, and money, is running this country, and not in the best interests of our country, its tax paying American workers, and the health and welfare of its citizens, then I don't know what to tell you. I have studied a great deal about this, and I just don't think that some of you from the right have made enough effort to realize what's actually happening to our country largely due to deregulation, and corporate power. The same thing is true of our trade policies, and of elitist billionaires who can create such things as mortgage meltdowns, and then walk away from the devastating consequences that the rest of us have to pay for. Where was the FED when years before this mortgage thing hit, the NYTimes was publishing articles about the coming mortgage meltdown and predatory lending? What they were doing was crooked as hell. They're up the road with their billions in profit, while we are going to have to pay the price with corporate welfare for the crooks who made money while committing the crime.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Gayle in Md.

sack316
08-19-2008, 10:40 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I learned this little trick from smart folk right here on the CCB. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sack,
That is a distortion of my views.
</div></div>

Indeed, and I think I advertised that quite clearly. I learned from the best /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sack

pooltchr
08-19-2008, 07:40 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Another example, there is in place a website which allows any employer to look up any SS # to insure that anyone who applies for a job, is a legal applicant, and not using someone elses SS#.
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Gayle in Md. </div></div>

Sorry Gayle, but I for one am VERY happy that web site doesn't exist. Identity theft is a huge problem, and you want a database of SS# and names on the internet so employers can check them???????????
I'll pass on that one, thank you.

Steve

Gayle in MD
08-20-2008, 07:34 AM
Are you really that unimaginative and uninformed? The website doesn't give out information, it just identifies illegals, notifies stolen SS use, and basically prevents corporate fascists from continuing to grow illegal populations of cheap labor, which lowers wages, and hurts the middle class AMerican taxpayer, and their pay scales.

JEEEZE!

sack316
08-20-2008, 07:39 AM
I am very imaginative. I realize the website doesn't give out key information such as SSN's and all, but in order to give the service provided, they would have a database with that info. And thus, someone such as myself can, could, and would gain access to it at some point. i.e. the banks don't give out people's account information, but how regularly do we hear about a security breach and X amount of accounts becoming unsecure?

Sack

Gayle in MD
08-20-2008, 07:45 AM
Believe me, Sack, there is no security risk involved. There is no secure information involved in the sight. As I understand it, the National Chamber of Commerce's calim is strictly based on trumped up theories of cost to employers. They just want to keep the illegal alien employee, cheap labor, going, and made no mention of security risks.

Gayle in Md.

sack316
08-20-2008, 08:24 AM
then how does it work? What information do they give a "yes/no" answer to the employer based on? Because what I am picturing is this:

(in a nutshell)The company hiring someone goes to this website and enters in the applicants info. Their software then compares the applicant's name, SSN, other info to make sure there are no flags that pop up in regards to that information (i.e. a report of identity theft, or applicant lives in Florida and has had numerous transactions happening in Alaska recently, or something like that). Now, for a website to do so, it would need a database of information to compare the new input with. Or at the very least, be able to ping with another server somewhere that this info is stored in which it is doing the comparison. The point is, that somehow somewhere this persons SSN and all information tied to it is stored AND this information is flowing back and forth between at least several points. And thus, is accessible by anyone with the right amount of know how. That is not a partisan thing, that is not a one side vs. another theory, that's a fact of technology. Whether or not there is any secure information involved AT the site is irrelevant, the site would still have to get the information from somewhere... which in fact would make it even less secure than if it were stored on a seperate server right there in the same building. The flow of information is not hard to intercept. There is no perfected encryption. And even if there were, all it would take is one knucklehead looking at things they shouldn't on their computer, or one dummy bringing his laptop to work that happens to have wi-fi, or any other hundreds of little things that could happen... and it's all wide open.

BUT, a site such as this wouldn't be a new thing... and the info that is flowing would not simply just be flowing from here. All this info is out there somewhere anyway. But this would make it much more convenient as far as a hacker finding it more readily. But, for the same token, someone could also simply raid a mailbox outside of a business and get the same info from the paper background check that most companies send off for, or intercept a fax transmission. It's relatively all the same, and this website would not be a newest, better, or worse thing for identity theft. It would just be one more thing. That's all.

Sack

Gayle in MD
08-20-2008, 08:58 AM
My understanding is that it exposes identity theft, not contributes to it.

A great number of stolen SS#'s are those of the deceased.

I assume if security was an issue, the lobbyists would have used it in their protests, but you might want to look into Lou Dobbs website, to learn more about it.

Gayle in Md.

sack316
08-20-2008, 07:42 PM
I don't think I need to look into it really, but I will sometime. The bottom line is for them to give a report or a "yes/no" answer as to someone's identity, then they must be in posession of or able to get certain information on this identity. Thus, that information could possibly be vulnerable to attack, wherever it is coming from. Could just as easily be vulnerable from the employer side of things and their system when they are sending the information. My problem is not with the system itself, my problem is with any web based service in which information flows claiming to have no security risk. "No" security risk means zero chance. And that, unfortunately, is impossible.

I actually like the idea itself. I can't stand having a great job interview, and then waiting several days to see how all the checks come out (I have some things that may or may not disqualify me from certain employers). I love the thought that they could just key me in, and make sure I am who I say I am... and I'm sure that would lead to more efficient background checks, etc. I think the idea is actually solid. But again, my only issue is that nothing of the sort could ever be 100% secure. And again, it's not that this particular service would be any more or less likely to be hacked... it could be right on par with anything else... but never is anything technologically absolutely fail-safe. That's all

Sack

mike60
08-21-2008, 01:14 AM
The data base every police computer connects with has all that and a lot more. Homeland Insecurity has all the same plus international interpol.

miguel

Gayle in MD
08-21-2008, 09:02 AM
;)yeah, I know. There's no security risk anyway about giving registered employers the SS#'s of deceased individuals, and of those whose identify has already been stolen, and reported.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/tired.gifzzzzzz