PDA

View Full Version : Is McCain Now Copying Solzhenitsyn?

Gayle in MD
08-18-2008, 01:18 PM
Is McCain Now Copying Solzhenitsyn?
By Taegan Goddard | August 17, 2008 8:23 PM | Permalink | Comments (24)

Last week, a speech by Sen. John McCain had phrases that were likely lifted directly from Wikipedia.

Now it seems McCain may have lifted another story last night at megachurch pastor Rick Warren's Faith Forum. According to a very persuasive Daily Kos diary, the anecdote McCain told about a North Vietnamese prison guard making a cross in the dirt as a sign of solidarity -- or as he said, "just two Christians worshiping together" -- is very similar to a story about Alexander Solzhenitsyn and his times in the Soviet Gulags.

"As Solzhenitsyn stared at the Cross drawn in the dirt his entire perspective changed. He knew he was only one man against the all-powerful Soviet empire. Yet he knew there was something greater than the evil he saw in the prison camp, something greater than the Soviet Union. He knew that hope for all people was represented by that simple Cross. Through the power of the Cross, anything was possible."

Steven Waldman notes that McCain's recounting of this story has changed over the years and "has gradually morphed from being about the humanity of the guard to being about the Christian faith of the guard and John McCain."

Andrew Sullivan says that McCain's early accounts of his years as a POW do not even include this story.
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

sack316
08-18-2008, 04:21 PM
So I forget now, does he or does he not know how to use the internet? One thread he's an out of touch idiot that couldn't turn on a computer... the next he's paroozing wikipedia all day long to help with his anecdotes. ***sigh***

Sack

Gayle in MD
08-19-2008, 06:02 AM
I'm quite sure his campaign aides know how to do "The Google" on the "Internets", to use Republican Presidential speak! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

sack316
08-19-2008, 10:36 AM
exactly

Sack

Deeman3
08-19-2008, 10:44 AM
I don't think the symbolism of crosses to Christians in prison camps are the personal property nor sole experience of Alexander.

Maybe he was not in the camp at all. Maybe he just imagined it all. I think the more you try to diminish his service the more people will see what is trying to be done to any American who might have been a hero.

I know, many of you will say, "I was there or I knew a guy who saw him there." Right?

Gayle in MD
08-20-2008, 08:02 AM
I honestly haven't noticed any effort by the people, as you put it, nor by politicians, to diminish her service to his country, nor his unfortunate circumstance of being in the wrong place, at the wrong time, and becoming a POW. I just don't think his "service" requires that we ignore his lies, his flip flops, his age, his emotional issues, his dishonest treatment of his wife, his womanizing, nor his illogical positions on many issues, including the war in Iraq, oil, his approval of torture, his well documented outbursts, some of them Physical and his failure to see that he was in the cone of silence, where he was supposed to be, during that forum. Being a former POW does not include a grant to be president.

Gayle in Md.

Deeman3
08-20-2008, 09:59 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Being a former POW does not include a grant to be president.

Gayle in Md. </div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000"> No, it does not. In fact, I believe he is running on his record in the Senate and other credentials more than his war record. I do think it reveals more the quality of man he was and is than his capability to lead America which I think both men fall short of.</span>

Gayle in MD
08-20-2008, 11:05 AM
Come on. He's flopped on everything he originally stood for, including torture, to get the Neocons behind him, including torture.

I never hear him refer to any Senate record, but he manages to work in that POW card at every opportunity.

He's Bush, with an equally dangerous temper, and an equally dangerous misunderstanding of the world, even more saber rattling, even more lack of understanding for tactical success.

In short, he has no tact, just deceit.

Gayle in Md.

mike60
08-20-2008, 07:36 PM
Wishful thinking on the part of wingbatty people is always painful to witness. McCain is a non entry in the intelligence race. He's was a sort of ok Senator before bush
slithered into residence on Pennsylvania ave. McCain's biggest mistake is believing the conditions that occurred in 2004 may be duplicated in 2008. The Google has not been kind to him. This Solzhenitsyn story has been found untrue by the publisher of his books, he never said anything about a guard or anyone else and a cross
in the dirt or anywhere else. Nonsense has it's own reward when repeated enough, ala rovian theory.

miguel

sack316
08-20-2008, 10:31 PM
I may be mistaken here. But I thought one of the old knocks on McCain at some point before was that he was so closed off about his military and POW experience. I seem to recall people having a problem with the fact that he didn't talk about it much, if at all. Now that he does, it's made out that he's attempting to run for president based on being a POW only.

Sack

Wally_in_Cincy
08-21-2008, 06:31 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

"As Solzhenitsyn stared at the Cross drawn in the dirt his entire perspective changed. </div></div>

Limbaugh (take it for what it's worth) said yesterday that that passage is not in the Gulag Archipelago.

I don't have time to research it.

cheesemouse
08-21-2008, 07:37 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wally_in_Cincy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[quote=Gayle in MD]

"As Solzhenitsyn stared at the Cross drawn in the dirt his entire perspective changed. </div></div>

Limbaugh (take it for what it's worth) said yesterday that that passage is not in the Gulag Archipelago.

I don't have time to research it.

Wally_in_Cincy
08-21-2008, 08:24 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cheesemouse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

So are you researching it?

cheesemouse
08-21-2008, 08:53 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wally_in_Cincy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cheesemouse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

So are you researching it? </div></div>....I tried to post a link of a picture of a man with his head up his ass but I screwed it up...hehehe...

Gayle in MD
08-21-2008, 08:58 AM
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Gayle in MD
08-21-2008, 08:59 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Limbaugh (take it for what it's worth) </div></div>

Not worth ****, to me! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

eg8r
08-21-2008, 08:59 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....I tried to post a link of a picture of a man with his head up his ass but I screwed it up...hehehe... </div></div>LOL, probably because you could not pull your head out long enough to actually run the computer.

eg8r

cheesemouse
08-21-2008, 09:18 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....I tried to post a link of a picture of a man with his head up his ass but I screwed it up...hehehe... </div></div>LOL, probably because you could not pull your head out long enough to actually run the computer.

eg8r </div></div>...there is always that possibility but I have noticed that my mind remains open even when up to the hilt....:)

eg8r
08-21-2008, 09:21 AM
Have you noticed that your open mind has not fixed your situation? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

cheesemouse
08-21-2008, 09:37 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you noticed that your open mind has not fixed your situation? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r </div></div>....even if my situation never changes one truth remains even in the darkness..."it's far more effective to fight with knowledge and reasoning than blind faith or dogma."....give it a shot Ed....:)....the first step is to loosen your grip on the lower intestine...LOL

Gayle in MD
08-21-2008, 09:50 AM
He's challenged. His money comes from the military Industrial Complex. Between that, and the fact that he thinks men can live inside whales, we have to give hime a wide berth.

We must have compassion for our addicted friends, regardless if their addictions center around their incomes from blood and bombs, their addictions to internet posters whom they've never met, but think they know everything about, or their religilous Notions of justified dictatorship rights.

BTW, Can't wait for Bill Mahers new movie to come out, Religilous gee, sounds a lot like ridiculous, doesn't it? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Gayle In Md.
Nearing two thousand days since "Mission Accomplished"
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

eg8r
08-21-2008, 09:53 AM
Now why on earth would you consider yourself in a position to offer advice? You are trapped in the same situation as you blame others to be in. Fix yourself first.

eg8r

cheesemouse
08-21-2008, 10:05 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now why on earth would you consider yourself in a position to offer advice? You are trapped in the same situation as you blame others to be in. Fix yourself first.

eg8r </div></div>...common sense has never been your long suit Ed. I know more about your situation than you know if mine....are you on days off???

Wally_in_Cincy
08-21-2008, 10:55 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cheesemouse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

....I tried to post a link of a picture of a man with his head up his ass but I screwed it up...hehehe... </div></div>

So you are too busy to research the question? That's ok, I understand.