PDA

View Full Version : Shark, Sharking, Hustler and Hustling

JJFSTAR
08-19-2008, 10:55 AM
So I am very clear on what these terms mean to me but how does everyone else define them? I ask because in another thread there seems to be some grey areas.

sack316
08-19-2008, 11:48 AM
to me sharking is intentionally doing something intended to throw your opponents game off. Could be as subtle as a fake cough in mid-stroke or some trash talking that is not in good fun, to standing in the opponents line of site. I myself have been guilty against opponents who annoy me. My thing is seating myself in the direction they will be shooting, and timing a flick of my lighter to light a cig just right. But I only do that against people who are not above such things themselves. Plus I'm evil /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Hustling, to me can be a variety of things as well. I think for the purposes here it would be more along the lines of playing below one's speed in order to sucker in an unsuspecting victim to gamble or raise a bet. Or setting a standard or regulation in a game that SEEMS easily winnable to an opponent, when in reality, it is still not likely they can win.

Sack

JoeW
08-19-2008, 12:20 PM
In my thinking a shark uses unethical tactics to take another person’s money or win in any way possible. Sharks typically circle their opponents and learn what will throw them off their game. The shark brings out the known distractions when it is to their advantage. In general, this would be known as the short con when it is confined to one match or one evening. In a sense the shark or short con artist evaluates the greed and weakness of another person quickly and then uses this greed and the victim’s weaknesses to take advantage.

Con artists are usually interested in monetary gain and remaining anonymous. The Shark differs in the sense that they also want prestige and psychological damage to the victim. The con artist does not want to be known by the public, except in his personal circle of friends. The shark seeks prestige in his particular circle.

To hustle someone is to convince the buyer they are getting a deal that is not a deal. It could be a woman who does not value her body and hence “rents” it for some price. It could be swamp land in Florida or a pool match designed to look like the player has an advantage that does not really exist. So in my thinking a player could hustle someone into what appears to be a sure win and then use sharking while at the table.

I think that we use the term “heart” to refer to a person who digs deep to pull out their best game in the face of a potential loss. A person with heart does not quit or give in. Hustling is not a part of this term though for some it is confused.

Different sub-cultures use different words for the same phenomena. Hustling is commonly known in many sub-cultures. Sharking is somewhat unique to the pool subculture as it involves an assessment of the opponent’s weakness and then using these weaknesses at the appropriate time in the context of a game. In this sense it is a form of short con.

When sharking techniques extend over a week or more to prepare the person to be fleeced it is definitely a form of hustling. I suspect that many players confuse or conjoin the terms. Extended sharking is a form of the long con wherein the victim is not aware of the idea that they are being setup. The victim usually thinks the shark is trying to help them get what they want.

Deeman3
08-19-2008, 01:22 PM
Shark - An old term that has almost no meaning in pool anymore but used to mean good player with possible connotations of a con.

Sharking - Any unfair behaviour that is aimed at distracting your opponent during play.

Releasing your Inner Shark - I have no earthly idea.

av84fun
08-19-2008, 01:25 PM
Shark...A very skillful pool player. Typcially a gambler.

Huslter...

1. An expert pool player who gambles but who attempts to disguise his/her real ability.

2. Synonym of "road player".

Hustling...The acts of a Hustler.

Sharking...Attempts to distract and/or emotionally destabilize an opponent in a pool match. Acts such as body movements, the emmission of sounds and verbal taunting or arguing over rules interpretations are acts of "sharking."

(-:
Jim

JJFSTAR
08-19-2008, 04:17 PM
Jim those are exactly my definitions and thank you. I was reluctant to post them in my OP because I was fearful of mockery of the obvious illogic of the relationship between the terms shark and sharking in other words why would not a shark be always or frequently sharking? To me here it is and you will find that we are corresponding.

1. Shark: (commutating “pool shark”) noun; an expert pool player. Postscript: one who often likes put some wager on the outcome of the game.

2. Sharking: verb; by action or verbiage attempts to distract his/her opponent.

3. Hustler: noun; one who attempts to disguise his/her skillfulness or use sharking tactics to attain some gain.

4. Hustle: verb; a shark or hustler employing either #2 or 3 of the above definitions at any time.

So this may sound kind of silly to some (even most) but I have been called a “shark” and considered it a compliment and I have been accused of “sharking” and gotten angry and defensive. I have hustled lots of people but to not consider myself a hustler.

So to me these terms mean very specific things and I think Jim agrees at least for the most part. Deeman says “shark” doesn’t mean anything I think that these terms are always going to be confusing.

In skin’s post “the shark within” does anyone think that he was talking about “sharking”? Well I don’t think so; IMHO he was talking about a feeling. I am just wondering what the % of players have clear definitions of a shark, a hustler and what sharking is.

1Time
08-19-2008, 04:39 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: av84fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shark...A very skillful pool player. Typcially a gambler.

Huslter...

1. An expert pool player who gambles but who attempts to disguise his/her real ability.

2. Synonym of "road player".

Hustling...The acts of a Hustler.

Sharking...Attempts to distract and/or emotionally destabilize an opponent in a pool match. Acts such as body movements, the emmission of sounds and verbal taunting or arguing over rules interpretations are acts of "sharking."

(-:
Jim </div></div>

Nothing wrong with these definitions.

Releasing your inner shark:

This simply has to do with the killer instinct.

JoeW
08-19-2008, 04:53 PM
From

Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hustling)

Cue sport terms (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_cue_sports_terms#Shark)

JJFSTAR
08-20-2008, 06:19 AM
Yea Joe I know, I looked it up in Wik before I posted. I even looked up card shark and loan shark. It is really funny; apparently if you are a pool shark you can be anything from a hustler to a good player. If you’re a card shark you can be anything from a cheater to a magician and if you’re a loan shark you are probably a mobster.

I was actually more fretful about what people would say than what is in Wik. But I have at least a saving grace that it does have def #3 even if it does imply that I am a non-player /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I do have a player on my team who when we are going to meet up against a strong team often says "gentlemen; entering shark infested waters". Now he doesn’t mean that these guys are distracting jerks he means that they are good players, at least I think that’s what he means.

Do you find this discrepancy funny? If English made any sense then a "_ _ _ _ Shark" would mean a lot more than it does it isn’t pertinent to pool per say but it sure is interesting.

JoeW
08-20-2008, 09:14 AM
A shark is thought to be bigger than life (or humans at any rate) and it is an aggressive killing predator that instills fear by its appearance. It is perceived as a merciless biologically destructive machine. Given this popular definition, setting aside debatable side issue, the image is imposing for all of us.

On the one hand entering shark infested waters suggests – pure destruction with no mercy. This is a good image to convey a great deal of information.

I suspect that those who inhabit the pool hall environment prefer the term “player” as it is used in the drug sub-culture and among fighting gangs. The pool shark is a term more used by the fish than by the shark. In war we dehumanize the enemy with terms like “hun”, “jap”, “gook.” Some simple derogatory word that can be used to inflame the passions is needed. The volunteer army (weekend warriors) that attacks the pool hall also needs it argot.

I forget which tribes but some of the indian names for their tribe that instilled fear in the young west meant "the people." The terror implied by "Apache" simply means "the people" if you are talking with an Apache.

YSU, where I taught for many years, has a penguin for their mascot. It does not convey a terribly aggressive team. But then neither does "Buckeye."

Watch yourself in this hall, they are a bunch of porpi ! (is that the plural for porpoise?)