PDA

View Full Version : Congrats all BCA Jr Participants and Winners

08-11-2002, 05:18 PM
The BCA Junior tourney was conducted in Chicago this past weekend, ending last night. There were a few surprises, as Shane McMinn's streak of 3 titles in a row was snapped, and Michelle Rakin was upset in the finals.

Tyler Straun, the 14-and-under champ the past 2 years stepped up to the 18-and-under level this year and figured as one of the players to challenge McMinn along with last year's runner-up and this year's runner-up in the World Junior tourney - Shane Hennen. Straun knocked McMinn out of the winner's bracket in the 3rd round in a hill-hill thriller, but was then defeated himself in the next round. McMinn then got his payback on Straun with a convincing thumping to knock him out of the tourney, before losing himself shortly after.

The final came down to Beau Runnigan and Joey Gray, with Runnigan prevailing in the 2nd set. I can't speak for Runningan although I'm sure he must be awesome, but Joey Gray is an extremely talented young player. Joey has now finished runner-up for the 3rd consecutive year - twice in the 14-and-under to Straun and now to Runnigan in the 18-and-under division as only a 15 year-old. I am sure we'll hear more from Mr. Gray in the coming years. Any of these above mentioned top young players are capable of beating most of the pro level players in any given set, IMO.

The 14-and-under division had few upsets, with all the expected players rising to the top. This would include the Rakin twins, Justin Bateman, Michael Banks and Justin Hall. Justin Hall defeated Banks in the finals to take the title. If I'm not mistaken Hall is yet another in a long line of recent awesomely talented Oklahoma juniors (in addition to McMinn, Straun and Gray) who proved he can play well away from home as well.

This is an absolutely great tourney, and it's ashame it only takes place once a year. I was not pleased with the BCA's selected dates for this year's event. In many parts of the south including here in NC, public schools started back last week - which prevented a number of talented junior players from playing in this event without missing 2-3 days of school. With all the BCA stands for, these young players certainly shouldn't be forced to miss school to attend this event! I hope they'll keep this in mind in future years. - Chris in NC

Troy
08-11-2002, 06:41 PM
Eleanor Callado is from Daly City, CA as is the Rakin family.
Norhtern California was well represented.

Troy