PDA

View Full Version : You Retired Players, Help!

Sid_Vicious
08-20-2008, 01:36 PM
I hope this is a well accepted question, "What do you do with your pool venture immediately after retiring from the job?" For years and years, I always felt that "the job" could be my problem(COM line remember?), and now I am on my first day of retirement and wondered what others here recommend at this time.

My first order of business is to get the home table cleared of all the junk mail and such, but I just never got into drills so that probably won't happen unless I get strong advice here to do just that. My mindset is to chill for a while, tinker with fun toys like motorcycles, meander into the PH in the middle of the day for relaxed play-play, cheap money games at best, I did not retire financially great.

Deeman has seen retirement at least once, Dee and anyone else have advice for reverting my "job-time" into "pool-time", and making the most of it? Getting away from tossing money to the other guy would be nice as well.

Playing a LOT of pool seems the thing to do, but thought I'd ask here for experienced ideas...sid

JoeW
08-20-2008, 02:53 PM
I try to spread my practice time out over the day, AM PM and evening. From a psych perspective it is known that short intense pratice sessions are more productive.

I swim every day and then get in the hot tub. I find that hot tub time is the best time to visualize myself at the table. See the shot as though I am shooting for some shots and then see myself from a bird's eye view on others.

I have learned that I play best when I swim in the AM for 15 - 30 minutes. Seems to loosen the muscles and get everything together. Some sort of whole body exercise is good for many things. Current research sugests that it is also good for keeping the mind sharp (sharper). In my experience this seems to have a ring of truth to it.

Some part of my practice time is spent insuring that my mechanics are solid (Kinnister's shot #1 comes to mind). It is amazing how mechanics go to hell under pressure unless they are nearly rote. It seems to take a great deal of effort to have the same approach to every shot.

I have been retired for five years and following the routine outlined here for about three years. My game has gotten substantially better (I retired at 59). I tried to get out at 50 but had some other things that needed doing.

Life is short, eat dessert first.

Deeman3
08-20-2008, 03:11 PM
For the pool portion of your retirement, if that is what you desire (I played less pool when retired than I do now!) I have seena guy who plays every tournament he can find in bars, pool halls and gets in every ring game that he can find, for moderate stakes. In the past two years, since his retirement, he has upped his game from what I'd call a BCA 5 to a 7+ and I have to fight him for tournament money now.

He has great focus and put a bar table in his house and plays more than I would even care for. He will make about $250 average in tournament payouts a week and probably does another $200-$400 in gambling with bar players, but understand, he works at it and is a locksmith and plays maximum $100 sets. I got a couple of hundred off him three years ago he won't play me for coffee but, in reality, he could give me a decent game now.

Play a lot and see if your game is elevated in time. If not, get some help or see if pool in retirement is really what you are looking to focus a lot on. I was more addicted to golf and travel but even that soon wore thin. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Good Luck Sid. I'll probably rejoin you in retirment in a few years. Having too much fun now. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

PRQL8R
08-20-2008, 03:13 PM
Hello Sid... Congrats /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif on the retirement! Same thing for me except that as a teacher I effectively retired at the end of this past June. As I'm always off in the summertime anyway I don't expect to really feel it until the first day of school in September. On that day I plan to get ready just as I usually would... drive into town... and then join the other previously retired teachers for a lovely breakfast. I then plan to join some of the other guys from my league and spend the day playing pool. Come to think of it... I seem to remember occassionaly doing a very similar sort of thing back when I was a kid in high school. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif The more things change the more they seem to stay the same.

Don't know about you but it already seems that I've got more than enough jobs around the house (that I've been putting off for years) to keep me busy, and I'm looking forward to renewing my original career as a freelance artist.

Aside from that I've also agreed to be co-president of the pool league and have already started organizing some monthly tournaments. They'll be handi-capped, based upon league averages so that everyone can have a reasonable chance to win. Now that my time is more flexible I'm also hoping to play in some of the more major pro tour events that take place down in the Toronto-London-Hamilton areas. Nothing really serious for me... just that it would be fun to match up with those level players.

I'll no doubt miss some aspects of my job... When it comes right down to it you really only remember the good stuff. I got to work with some great fellow teachers and a wonderful bunch of kids... I'm certainly going to miss the kids from my Billiards Club. Some of those guys are going to really tear it up when they get to University.

Anyway... welcome to the other side /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif ...Bob

Sid_Vicious
08-20-2008, 03:35 PM
I swim every day

"You've been reading my mail" I used to swim 2-3 days back in 1985-1987, using a high school pool for a buck of donation, I found doing laps for 30 minutes really felt great. Since then I have become very lethargic, and I mean VERY! It was a fleeting thought I had recently to revisit that activity(OK Paul Newman had a little to do with it), both for conditioning and health, billiards is an extra plus. Actually I wasn't really playing pool back then, bars and buddies-pool, so it will be interesting to get back to the swimming. With the added habit now of the cigarettes, plus the age, I'll have to take it in baby steps.

Kinister's shot is another switch you hit. Years ago I had the camcorder setup and I ran hours on that shot, using 15 minute segments to review the positive and negatives from the episodes. I was ate up with pool then, so I hope I have the patience to do it again now.

Thanks...sid

JoeW
08-20-2008, 03:45 PM
Now that your retired consider:

The lap pool advertised in all the magazines is $25k. I bought a do it yourself kit for $5K and it costs about $80.00 a month to heat a 10 -14 footer with a five horse swim jet (just like the big guys).

Mine is part of my living room / great room area. A lot of people told me that it could not be done because of humidity, water damage, etc. Simply not true. I have had mine in the house for nearly six years with no problem. Everybody loves it, includinghte the kids and the grand children. It requires about one hour per week maintainence. If your interested PM me and I will send the URL etc.

I had never installed a hot tub / lap pool let alone in the house and it took me about one month to do it. Someone who knows what they are doing could do it in something like three days.

Sid_Vicious
08-20-2008, 03:48 PM
Dee...frankly it may be an issue if that's what I'll realy like to do, play pool. I have so many sticks and years of playing this game, I consider it a sin to not dive back in head-first with this free time. Truthfully, I'd about quit the game, playing once a week at best, but I consider the stress of daily life, family events, and having to face the job every day as much of the reason, excuses maybe. All in all it will be interesting to find out if the fredom of time will make me more, or less, dedicated to pool. You have certainly noticed that I have a lot of fundamental "re-work" to do on my game when we played at Petty's Point. That's still an issue, lazy is the best word I can give for that demise since pool-school. I just thought I'd replace my day job with pool and see what happens, CHEAPLY at first to say the least!

Shooting in the local tournaments is an idea I thought about expending upon. Usually I was always negative even at the beginning of these things since I felt "Damn this thing won't be over until midnight and I have to work tomorrow!" How can anyone play well with that thought going in, a thought which only grows by the hour? Time to try again now that one variable is gone.

Thanks Friend...sid

Sid_Vicious
08-20-2008, 03:56 PM
"Don't know about you but it already seems that I've got more than enough jobs around the house (that I've been putting off for years) to keep me busy"

I could work my put off chores from over the years and never even play pool, no kidding. This will be a must in reality, I'll need to get reeady for selling my house and moving in time just to afford retirement. The satisfaction of seeing progress in normal life with chores should make a positive difference at the table. Hell, I only thought I was retired ;-) sid

JoeW
08-20-2008, 03:59 PM
Joe's $5k swim spa

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q146/JoeW04/swimspa1-1.jpg

The floor tile, mural etc are of course extra. The rocks were free from my back yard

When I bought my first horse farm a buddy, who was an engineer, asked me if I thought the University where I taught was beautiful. I said, " yes." He said, "well look around at the landscaping. Nothing is ever finished. They are always working on something. None-the-less it is always beautiful."

He continued, "If you remember that and work around the farm as though you will never be done but always keep it attractive then it will not eat you alive." Changed my life and now nothing is ever finished yet there is much beauty -- makes for a great life.

KellyStick
08-20-2008, 07:36 PM
Sid maybe you could teach. I teach people as the coach for most of my team and I have had friends come over that love to play and learn. I enjoy teaching and it makes me better because I have to pay attention. IT makes my game better. But if you don't enjoy teaching folks how to beat you it may not be fun. You might even do it for money or just for fun. Maybe form a team? I dunno. just some thoughts. Maybe get with a local place and help manage some tounaments for them. Ones you can play in or not. I think there are lots of options. Make something happen that you like.

Sid_Vicious
08-21-2008, 10:18 AM
That is good advice! I always learn more from instructing than anything else I do in pool. Frankly, if I can take what I think is a lesser player and get them to beating me, that's satisfaction. As a free-lance, non-BCA qualified teacher, but still with the basics...there's a gift that I can relay to someone else, preferrable a youngster without the "poison" of bad advice already imbedded within. It's been a long time but when I did teach people, I found myself saying, "That just tought me a fundamental I'd forgotten." Thanks...sid