PDA

View Full Version : REcovering your table with Simonis

KellyStick
08-20-2008, 08:25 PM
Yo I just recovered my table with Simonis 760. It's an eight foot table from Olhausen. Well it's in the picture next to this post tho hard to see I guess.

The first time I did it, years ago, I was overseas on my own with little knowledge of what to do or how. And in Saudi Arabia there was no resource to draw from. It came out ok but the cloth was a bit loose here and there and the rails were only OK. Doing the rails was a pain not knowing how.

Then I moved back to the states and re-applied the table cloth but really tried to make it tight. I left the rails as is. For some reason I could not find a procedure on-line to do this. I did it how it made sense but with a buddy of mine and tried to make it TIGHT TIGHT! IT was still just ok. Loose here and there. But OK enough that I left it like that for the last 3-4 years.

So I recently bought all new 760 and got a procedure on-line and followed it to a tee for both rails and table. I also bought new Aramith Pro balls with the dotted CB (which I like to watch roll and spin about) and feel like I "Almost" got it right or at least closer. The table is fast (pretty much) and the spin off the rail is awesome (pretty much) and the spin is sorta like on TV but I am curious to learn from anyone who has done this themselves. What secrets you may know to make this freakin awesome.

Now I did learn the secret of pulling cloth out of line by 1/2" or so at the corners to make the corner pockets clean on the rails. Before I had no clue and the inside of the corner pockets were wrinkly or had to be folded. The table top has some obvious visual stretch marks that seem to be ok but expertise that I don't have could probably make this better visually?.

So I am looking for any advice on how to make this <u>perfect</u> next time. Which may be awhile but why wait. AS for now I think the table shoots awesome. But I think it is far from right. Any advice or thoughts?

Also, anyone in the Baton Rouge area that wants to drop by and shoot is welcome. Just let me know.

wolfdancer
08-20-2008, 11:32 PM
Your table and your room looks great. I've helped recover several hundred tables, but I just did the grunt work. The mechanic that I worked with, also had to go back over and redo the tables when Simonis first came in...same issue as you had...loose cloth.
He started using a cloth puller, and after trial and error, no more problems. You seem to have corrected the problem in only two attempts....Kudos !!!

Rich R.
08-21-2008, 06:49 AM
Kelly, why did you choose the 760 over the more popular 860?

av84fun
08-21-2008, 10:47 AM
Here are descriptions of 760/860.

What comes through is that 760 is both lighter and faster than 860.

Even though 860 is heavier, that does not mean it will last longer. Rather, it could be that nylon, while lighter than wool may be more durable. I don't know one way or the other but for sure, weight does not necessarily equate to durability.

Most major pro matches played on newly set up tables are played on 860 because, while it is very fast, it is not TOO fast for 9 Ball. Many people, me included, think that 760 is too fast.

regards,
Jim

Product Description:
Simonis 760 Professional Tournament Table Cloth was developed especially for competition-level billiards. It is slightly faster than the Simonis 860 blend. Combed worsted wool and high thread count assure long lasting wear. This top-quality cloth is nap-free and will not pill or fluff. It is recommended for all pocket pool or snooker games. Simonis cloth is used in most every professional tournament, and is indeed the choice of champions. Simonis 760 is 70% wool and 30% nylon and weighs approximately 355 grams per square meter. Simonis cloth is made in Belgium. Enough cloth is included to cover the table bed and rails.

Product Description:
Simonis 860 Professional Tournament Table Cloth was developed especially for competition-level 9-ball billiards. It is slightly slower than the Simonis 760 blend. Combed worsted wool and high thread count assure long lasting wear. This top-quality cloth is nap-free and will not pill or fluff. It is recommended for all pocket pool or snooker games. Simonis cloth is used in most every professional tournament, and is indeed the choice of champions. Simonis 860 is 90% wool and 10% nylon and weighs approximately 410 grams per square meter. Simonis cloth is made in Belgium. Enough cloth is included to cover the table bed and rails.

DeadCrab
08-21-2008, 11:43 AM
Installation of Simonis cloth is considered to be much more difficult than non-worsted cloth.

There are all kinds of tricks, including shrinking the cloth after installation, but a lot of mechanics won't share their secrets.

You can try posting this on the "Talk to a mechanic" forum over at AZ billiards. Sometimes the pros will respond to a do-it-yourselfer, sometimes not.

Sid_Vicious
08-21-2008, 12:04 PM
Exactly my question...sid

SpiderMan
08-21-2008, 12:18 PM
Try sending a PM to Chopstick. I think he researched this quite extensively a couple of years ago.

SpiderMan

wolfdancer
08-21-2008, 02:48 PM
when Simonis first became popular, around 1989, they recovered one table at the local pool hall with 760. And shortly after, there was a money match set up between (one pocket) Ronnie Allen, and a local talent. Drew a pretty good crowd, but after a game or so, they both quit. Neither could control the cue ball with the precision required for one pocket.
Haven't seen a pool table recovered with 760 since, but it works great for Billiards.
If you do have 760 and not 860 on your table, probably won't matter
too much on an 8 ft'r, playing 8 or 9 ball.....and the damn stuff won't wear out....I'm on yr 5 now, with the equivalent of 860 (Granito) on my table.
There might not be a "next time" for you in the forseeable future

Rich R.
08-21-2008, 07:21 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: av84fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here are descriptions of 760/860. </div></div>
Jim, Thanks for the response, but I'm well aware of the differences in the 760 and 860 and, frankly, durability isn't an issue with me. I am just curious as to why Kelly picked the 760 over the 860.