PDA

View Full Version : may be interesting to my close to home folks...

sack316
08-22-2008, 11:40 AM
got this from my college today. I may make an effort to attend and give it a listen, but sounds interesting:

Huntingdon Stallworth Lecture Raises the Gavel on the Nation's Highest Court

Montgomery, Ala.--How did the United States Supreme Court arrive at the decision to award the presidency to George W. Bush eight years ago? How and why were the justices who made that decision selected, appointed and confirmed? These questions and more will be the focus as ABC News Legal Correspondent Jan Crawford Greenburg takes the stage for the 2008 Huntingdon College Stallworth Lecture Series, Tuesday, September 23, 7:30 p.m., in Ligon Chapel, Flowers Hall. Greenburg will speak on her book, published in 2007, "Supreme Conflict: The Inside Story of the Struggle for Control of the United States Supreme Court."

Greenburg has covered the U.S. Supreme Court since 1994. "Supreme Conflict" is based on her interviews with Supreme Court justices and on her work as national legal affairs reporter for the Chicago Tribune, as Supreme Court correspondent for "The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer," and as a legal analyst for "CBS Evening News" and "Face the Nation." She has covered Supreme Court and national legal issues including judicial appointments and confirmation battles.

Born and raised on an Alabama cattle farm, Greenburg graduated from the University of Alabama. She joined the Chicago Tribune in 1987 and began covering legal affairs in 1993, after her graduation from the University of Chicago Law School. She won the Tribune's top reporting award in 2001 as a part of a team of reporters who covered the 2000 presidential election and the subsequent legal battles over the White House. In 1996, she returned to Alabama to report and write a 13-part series on the South a generation after the civil rights movement. Again, she won the Tribune's top reporting award for her work.

Ms. Greenburg has taught journalism at American University and frequently speaks about the court to universities, law schools, legal organizations, and civic groups across the country. She is a member of the New York bar and is married to Chicago native and attorney Douglas Greenburg. They have four children.

The lecture is free and open to the public.

Huntingdon College, grounded in the Judeo-Christian tradition of the United Methodist Church, is committed to nurturing growth in faith, wisdom, and service and to graduating individuals prepared to succeed in a rapidly changing world. Founded in 1854, Huntingdon is a coeducational liberal arts college. The College motto is, "Enter to grow in wisdom; go forth to apply wisdom in service."

if anyone round here is interested let me know and I'll let ya know how to get there or meet up with ya for a carpool or something

Sack

wolfdancer
08-22-2008, 12:11 PM
A liberal arts college in Ala? You expect us to believe that? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
I hope you do go, and the answers to those two questions will be worth the trip...also hope that you share them with the right wing "illuminati" (lww, Ed, et al) /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif here.

sack316
08-22-2008, 12:20 PM
yeah, surprise surprise... not only do we have one right here in Alabama... but Sack also attends it... twice! My sister also recently graduated from Montevallo, another LA college here. But we tucked that one away in the middle of nowhere.

I've had some professors who were not too fond of me due to my actually having the gaul to shoot back when they have fired off at the mouth with a liberal agenda. It's a rare case the politics spill over into the classroom there, though... but when it has I've been ready /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif Oh, and kudos to you people here... I find most of you a greater challenge in debating than I have many with Phd's!

And really I'm posting this in hopes deeman may try to attend with me. My mouth and deeman's presence in the front row would ensure the speaker keeps her story straight /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sack--- is on the inside

Deeman3
08-22-2008, 12:28 PM
Liberal Arts College means something a little different here in Alabama. The gals keep their weapons in their purses rather than in a shoulder holster.

Sack, I'll see if I can fingure a way to ge tpast security for this event. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I'll let you know.