PDA

View Full Version : BCA Budget Cuts

av84fun
08-22-2008, 12:49 PM
Yet another "sign of the times" demonstrating the sad state of affairs in the U.S. billiard industry.

However, eliminating what used to the the "BCA" pro 9 Ball tournament is a singularly bad idea IMHO....right next to the decision to abandoning the BCA tournament name in the first place.

The following is a quote from the BD front page story..

"While the final numbers from the 2008 Expo had not been tallied as of last week, Cummings said that the Charlotte, N.C.-based show would make at least a $60,000 profit or slightly more. For perspective, the 2006 BCA Expo in Houston generated a $1.1 million profit for the association."

It seems to me that management misses the point which is that the move from Las Vegas to Charlotte was a terrible idea.

Personally, I don't believe that the nearly 100% collapse in that tournament's profits can possibly be solely attributed to either the economy or the state of affairs in the pool industry.

Rather, the move from one of the world's most popular recreational destinations, where flights are normally cheap and accommodations and food prices are exceptionally low....to Charlotte...with all due respect...was a horrible idea.

Regards,
Jim

SpiderMan
08-22-2008, 02:53 PM
Makes sense to me. Everyone tries to hold conventions of every type in locations that are "interesting" destinations in their own right. Makes a big difference in participation.

I love attending the BCA Nationals in Las Vegas. It's become my summer vacation, and I haven't tired of it after more than 15 years. If the BCA Nationals moved to Chicago, New York, or Cedar Rapids, I'd probably skip the tournament and still take my summer vacation in Las Vegas.

SpiderMan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: av84fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yet another "sign of the times" demonstrating the sad state of affairs in the U.S. billiard industry.

However, eliminating what used to the the "BCA" pro 9 Ball tournament is a singularly bad idea IMHO....right next to the decision to abandoning the BCA tournament name in the first place.

The following is a quote from the BD front page story..

"While the final numbers from the 2008 Expo had not been tallied as of last week, Cummings said that the Charlotte, N.C.-based show would make at least a $60,000 profit or slightly more. For perspective, the 2006 BCA Expo in Houston generated a $1.1 million profit for the association."

It seems to me that management misses the point which is that the move from Las Vegas to Charlotte was a terrible idea.

Personally, I don't believe that the nearly 100% collapse in that tournament's profits can possibly be solely attributed to either the economy or the state of affairs in the pool industry.

Rather, the move from one of the world's most popular recreational destinations, where flights are normally cheap and accommodations and food prices are exceptionally low....to Charlotte...with all due respect...was a horrible idea.

Regards,
Jim
</div></div>